First motor home (1 Viewer)

Jamkins1

Free Member
Jun 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I'm looking to buy my first motor home. I'm going to look at a 1994 Vw autosleeper trophy 2.4 auto local to me. Is there anything specific I should look out for? It's up for £7000 and it's got 90000 on the clock.

OP
OP
J

Jamkins1

Free Member
Jun 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
It recently passed its mot but its got a lot of advisories. Will it be expensive to sort everything? I'm not sure if the vans up for a good price to know if it's worth buying and sorting it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210624_230054_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210624_230054_com.android.chrome.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
That's seems expensive to me but it's got a VW badge on it so that's adds about 3 grand but if your 100 percent sure it's the layout you want go for it but as its 20 odd years old don't expect to get trouble free fun

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
I would be concerned about some of the things listed there, the subframe, the suspension mountings etc. Finding a trustworthy and reliable repairer would be essential. An independent report would be my advise.
I could try alerting some knowledgable funsters for you
Jaws Geo Northernraider

Upvote 0
May 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy 270
It sounds expensive to be fair but VW’s are sought after and it’s auto so it might be market value.
The advisories are what matters to me. It’s either an MOT tester being thorough and a bit over zealous or it’s a tester that has done the owner a favour and got it through the test by using all his grey area know how! An Independent test is the only way if you are still keen. Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jamkins1

Free Member
Jun 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Thanks guys. I think I've made my mind up. I'll keep looking. I thought that was a fair price because I've seen higher mileage ones online going for a lot more. Guess I am a noob 🤣

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Have you decided on the layout you (think ;) ) you want……?
It took us three ‘vans in 5 years to get a layout that works for us most of the time!o_O

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jamkins1

Free Member
Jun 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Have you decided on the layout you (think ;) ) you want……?
It took us three ‘vans in 5 years to get a layout that works for us most of the time!o_O
I'm not truely decided on the layout.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ok my tuppenceworth

Its a vw

Ive had 11 vw t4's over the years ....and many of the older models.

For comparison i sold this vw t4 2.4 autosleeper trophy in 2017 for £12500
2016-10-20 20.02.15.jpg
20200128_222951.jpg

The items listed on the mot sheet are advisories because they are minor ...advisories are there to tell you about things that will become a problem in the future if not dealt with. These days surface rust gets put down as advisories ....most vehicles have rust underneath them unfortunately .

So if you know someone that can check it over for you , and treat the rust properly ie wire brush , inhibitor , primer and paint then its not a bad vehicle. Look back the mot history and see how many of these things have been advised on previous years

Photos of the van would also help. But these days £7k doesn't buy a lot of camper and even less vw camper

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ill also say this ...mot advisories are a blessing to those in the know with vehicles and a nightmare for those who arent sadly.

Some mot inspectors just dont like to leave a clean sheet ... others do

Some will advise everything they see that isnt new ...others only advise serious stuff.
It pays if you're knowledgeable to check over the vehicle or know someone who is ...then you can use those advisory to your benefit with price negotiation etc.

The wee suzuki alto i just sold had advisories on rusty coil springs for 4 years in a row before i bought it ....doesnt really matter if springs are rusty as long as they do the job intended.

However i wire brushed them all and hammerited them and they looked good as new .....no advisories on this mot 🤷🏻‍♂️

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Oops

I should have also given my findings on the van in general.

I loved my t4's they drove like a car , easy to park , easy to repair etc
The autosleeper trophy was my favourite t4 layout ...what was in that van compared to the others was incredible considering it was only 400mm longer than a standard t4 , downside was no towbar as its a fibreglass pod glued on the back of a metal shell . But it had everything inside including a toilet and shower ...yes the bed was a bit of a pain to make up etc but comfy when it was.

I think if I hadn't decided to go fulltime and buy bigger id perhaps still have it.

If its a t4 size van you want then it is a good model.

The automatic gearboxes can cause problems so you would want to make sure all was well there ...but 90k miles isnt a lot ...i had one t4 with over 700k miles on it ( ex Newcastle taxi )

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Too much corrosion for me. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
Its surface rust

If it was serious it would have failed .

This is what i meant above by advisories been a nightmare when people dont really know but jump to conclusions.

To be honest the op needs to provide the registration number for the van so previous mot history etc can be checked .

Its over 20 years old ....it will have rust

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I wouldn’t be put off by that mot report. It couldn’t be more wishy washy. Reads like someone who likes fill out all the forms.
If you like it then it’s worth a look, at least you are going with an idea what to check, and it may put others off, so do you a favour.

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think you have made a wise decision
With that amount of advisory notes it does note bode well for not only future MOTs but the over all condition of the habitation area as chances are if one aspect has not been looked after, other aspects could well be in the same state of repair

Just read the MOT.. bloody joke !
Who ever MOTd it is either new to the job or after work generated by it
There is nowt there I would be concerned about

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
:hiya:
I would be concerned about some of the things listed there, the subframe, the suspension mountings etc. Finding a trustworthy and reliable repairer would be essential. An independent report would be my advise.
I could try alerting some knowledgable funsters for you
Jaws Geo Northernraider
Sorry I missed the post
when an MoT tester starts listing corroded springs You just know you have a frightened Rabbit.
either a brand new tester or one on a warning
I would have advised the vehicle is still worthy of a look at before condemning it

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back