First full time regrets (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Today is the first time in almost 2 years I have not been keen on living in the van.

NE Scotland parked at my usual spot at work and it is blowing the biggest hoolie I have witnessed.

I was going to move the van inside the workshop to be safe and then this happened:

20220129_103718.jpg

Nowhere I can think of to go that would be any safer so I have parked the forklift right in front of the van so if anything blows off the roof this way then hopefully it will hit that first.

20220129_113113.jpg

Tempted to get a taxi to a hotel as this wind is supposed to die down mid afternoon then get back up at night time.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably safer inside providing no panels fall in.
Anywhere you can park away from buildings with your nose facing the wind is probably the safest option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Probably safer inside providing no panels fall in.
Anywhere you can park away from buildings with your nose facing the wind is probably the safest option.
There was so much debris flying around that I didn't chance moving it. But it was rocking about so much that I got a taxi in to Aberdeen.

The power is off back at work so I can't even check on the van through my cam.

Fingers crossed it's okay.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Must admit the weather can really give you the heebie jeebies when you're a fulltimer. Last winter, 60 - 70 mph straight again the side of our rig. I had pit props underneath the slideout to help stop 4 tonnes rocking! Found a more sheltered spot this winter and so far, we're doing OK though the sat dish did get retracted last night and prolly wont go back up for a couple of days!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
hard to say but try to relax in the hotel warm dry and safe million to 1 that your van will be hurt. Try not to worry

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Your vehicle is designed for an 80mph wind without an issue.
But its essential to be parked directly head to wind.

I slept soundly in a 70mph+ wind overlooking a large lake a couple of years ago, but I'd arranged to park across two pitches so that I exactly head to wind

(Agree however if debris is an issue, you are best in the lee of something large !)

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
It's eerily calm outside today. Cold but nice. However they are adamant that we will we getting up to 90mph winds later tonight so I'm not taking any chances. I parked up in this bunker so I think it should be fine.

20220130_150858.jpg

autocaravaner

Free Member
Mar 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
small van
Stay safe. Beautiful Moho, I love those old Hymers (might buy one if I found it)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
been wondering how you were getting on there have been some sad news stories Keep safe

Deleted User
Your vehicle is designed for an 80mph wind without an issue.
But its essential to be parked directly head to wind.

I slept soundly in a 70mph+ wind overlooking a large lake a couple of years ago, but I'd arranged to park across two pitches so that I exactly head to wind

(Agree however if debris is an issue, you are best in the lee of something large !)
But don't park in the Lee of the gable end of a row of terraced houses, top section tends to get sucked out with somewhat deleterious effects on whatever is beneath.
In fact the Lee side of any building with detachable bits in strong winds is not the best place to be.

Across from daughter's house in Sunderland.

Attachments

• IMG-20220129-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220129-WA0000.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited by a moderator:

Cherub

Free Member
Sep 24, 2020
Glen Prosen, Angus, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Since 2009
That’s Corrie starting to pick up now. Heavy rain and wind picking up.
51DF96FF-2698-4236-AA0A-68DA87292769.jpeg
I was terrified yesterday because the entire tree trunk outside our window was swaying with the gusts. Just hoping it doesn’t come down tonight. We lost hundreds of trees surrounding us during Arwen and hubby had to hurry under a partially fallen one across the road yesterday on the way back with our generator as the power was off. Poor animals, a hare just stopped and washed itself right beside hubby when he was out feeding the birds.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Roof of the equestrian area where my daughter has lessons was blown off yesterday during a lesson. No lessons for a few weeks I expect!!!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
That’s Corrie starting to pick up now. Heavy rain and wind picking up. View attachment 580689I was terrified yesterday because the entire tree trunk outside our window was swaying with the gusts. Just hoping it doesn’t come down tonight. We lost hundreds of trees surrounding us during Arwen and hubby had to hurry under a partially fallen one across the road yesterday on the way back with our generator as the power was off. Poor animals, a hare just stopped and washed itself right beside hubby when he was out feeding the birds.

I, in the VW, was once wild-camping in a forest in East Germany, down a rarely used logger track surrounded by massive fir trees and wild boar (as I found out next morning)
It was nice and still when I stopped but, as the evening wore on, the wind go stronger and stronger, until all the trees were swaying, like a crowd of drunken old men, about ten feet either way, every time it gusted.
It was terrifying, especially when, in the dark, I got out of the van to have a pee and nearly stood on a young wild boar, mother, and about 10 other younguns, were close by.

I never slept much that night!!! :eek::eek:

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I, in the VW, was once wild-camping in a forest in East Germany, down a rarely used logger track surrounded by massive fir trees and wild boar (as I found out next morning)
It was nice and still when I stopped but, as the evening wore on, the wind go stronger and stronger, until all the trees were swaying, like a crowd of drunken old men, about ten feet either way, every time it gusted.
It was terrifying, especially when, in the dark, I got out of the van to have a pee and nearly stood on a young wild boar, mother, and about 10 other younguns, were close by.

Sausages for breakfast though?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
It's eerily calm outside today. Cold but nice. However they are adamant that we will we getting up to 90mph winds later tonight so I'm not taking any chances. I parked up in this bunker so I think it should be fine.

View attachment 580665

90mph winds?

Have you never driven your MH at 60mph into a 30mph wind?

Think on't.

Cherub

Free Member
Sep 24, 2020
Glen Prosen, Angus, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Since 2009

Well thank goodness the storm is past and that tree at our window is still standing. We have no power or water once again. The tree in my earlier post is now completely down and blocking the road along with many more. This devastation is on top of Arwen which still hadn’t been completely cleared. The loss is heartbreaking but not as bad as lost lives.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Well thank goodness the storm is past and that tree at our window is still standing. We have no power or water once again. The tree in my earlier post is now completely down and blocking the road along with many more. This devastation is on top of Arwen which still hadn’t been completely cleared. The loss is heartbreaking but not as bad as lost lives.
Last nights storm seemed to unexpectedly stall a bit around 10pm and when it finally hit us I reckon it wasn't as strong as predicted.

No more damage at work but power still off and a big hole in the roof.

Our guys on site have spent the last few weeks repairing other people's damage from storm Arwen. Guessing we'll be picking a bit more repair work this week, including our own :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back