Fiat Ducato Fuel Filter Failure (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the dodgy one is plastic. 2014 onwards they are metal. that doesnt mean any 2014 motorhome is ok though as it may have been built 2013 by fiat

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Thanks again Andy - looks like I'm "in the clear" as my fuel filter is a metal one with "easy change filter" stamped on the side of it in Italian and English

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I thought they changed in 2012 when the Euro 5.5 engine came out.
yes

In fact the best way to check the year it came off the line is to look at the date on the tyres. It can be two years before converted and registered.

Its only me

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Newton Aycliffe
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
Since 2011
I have an Autotrail 632 on a Fiat Ducato 130. 2011 model. Full tank to start a 150 mile trip. Arriving at the site we booked discovered we had a serious fuel leak from the fuel filter. After a quick check the only conclusion I could come to was the inlet pipe had slipped down putting a strain on the connection into the filter. Pushing the pipe back up in the bulkhead clip to take the weight off the filter inlet. Leak stopped, drove 150 miles back with no problems. Except I have to fill up again. Has anyone found a similar fault, I have seen reports of cracked housings but not in my case.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Its only me

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Newton Aycliffe
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
Since 2011
Hi 2bob. Not sure yet as I only got back yesterday. I was surprised to see so many other motohomers with fuel leak problems. If a commercial fleet of Fiat Ducato vans had these faults, I wonder how they treat the problem.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
A little bit more info on the new metal cannister filters now being fitted to Ducatos. BEWARE! There are two different metal cannister filters in use and can be found on vehicles from about 2011 onwards. Externally they are both identical, the difference is in the threaded hole in the bottom where the water sensor fits. Two different water sensors are used, a grey one and a black one, the grey one is longer and has a smaller thread diameter than the black one which is shorter with a bigger dia thread, they are NOT interchangeable! The grey sensor type is currently only available from main agent and is expensive, the black sensor type is available after market, Mann filters do it for sure as we fitted one this week. Best way to check if you're changing your own is BEFORE you disconnect it note the number off the front of the filter then cross check it with your suppliers.

D.

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Had the same problem on a 2008 ducats and investigated on the Internet and found numerous incidents of the same type, brought a replacement filter fuel filter and housing of Internet for £70 and fitted it myself (instead of £200 quoted by Fiat) another one of those well reported problems the manufacturers would rather ignore!!

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
Advised here to take a spare housing fuel filter for my fiat ducato was a blessing. My friend had diesel pouring from the fuel filter whilst in Portugal and had to use my spare.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
i think this has been asked before some while ago - maybe i even asked it.
can u retro fit the new filter to the old x250 or are the electrics/pipe connectors different?
just before i buy a spare plastic one.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Glad i got rid of mine in 2008,,prefer simplicity..BUSBY.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
i think this has been asked before some while ago - maybe i even asked it.
can u retro fit the new filter to the old x250 or are the electrics/pipe connectors different?
just before i buy a spare plastic one.

Not as far as I know, the electrical and pipe connections are completely different. If you service the fuel filter using the proper tool (I also add a smear of vaseline to the seal and clamping ring threads which seems to help) they rarely leak.

D.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Well mine leaked again last sunday about 3 thousand miles since last time. Now fitted new complete housing that I was carrying as a spare. Will now have to invest £80 in another spare as I have no idea how long this one will last! By the way used correct tool and torque to correct 30nm on both occasions and leaks started again after a few thousand miles. As a point off interest asked a mechanic who services ducato based ambulances they use no special tools just an oil filter removing tool and tighten up........and they have no problems with leaks?

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Maybe buy a new torque wrench?

not using mine, using mechanic mates wrench who builds race bike engines amongst other things in fact he does the tightening! Out of interest today took the leaking one down to him and simply put the torque wrench on it ....it moved a little but not much. I then asked him to just do it up as if he was unaware of torqe setting /special tool etc so he used a large pair of pump pliars and when we checked torque it was a fair bit over 30.....may be the way to go?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I found that 30nm is enough to take the securing ring completely to the bottom of the thread so it can't go any further. The tool that holds the filter will distort at this point thus preventing damage to the housing.
When the tool is not used i.e. a VICE there is no protection and no distortion so over tightening simply causes damage to the filter body

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I am all in favour of doing the job properly Right tools etc but with this amount of failures makes you question 30nm feeling fed up with these filters /throttle bodies and leaking scuttles , love the ducato drive but if I ever replace the Rapido may think twice about fiat if there is a choice.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I am all in favour of doing the job properly Right tools etc but with this amount of failures makes you question 30nm feeling fed up with these filters /throttle bodies and leaking scuttles , love the ducato drive but if I ever replace the Rapido may think twice about fiat if there is a choice.
I replaced my throttle body for the later Pierburg unit quite cheaply. I can only say that the majority of failures are due to bad mechanicing IMHO. This filter is made by UFI not Fiat Peugeot or Citroen and is fitted to very many other vehicles.

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Techno this is a known problem which has been reported many times acoss the Internet whilst I agree that many problems are down to inexperience or ignorance the problem with the Fiat fuel filter is well known and ignored by Fiat!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Techno this is a known problem which has been reported many times acoss the Internet whilst I agree that many problems are down to inexperience or ignorance the problem with the Fiat fuel filter is well known and ignored by Fiat!
Why is it a Fiat issue? no one ever mentions peugeot or Citroen or all the other car makers using this filter

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Broken Link Removed

Vauxhall/Opel, Citroen, Peugeot, Fiat, Saab
  • Also fits Chevrolet, Citroen, Fiat, Peugeot, Saab and Suzuki

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Well mine leaked again last sunday about 3 thousand miles since last time. Now fitted new complete housing that I was carrying as a spare. Will now have to invest £80 in another spare as I have no idea how long this one will last! By the way used correct tool and torque to correct 30nm on both occasions and leaks started again after a few thousand miles. As a point off interest asked a mechanic who services ducato based ambulances they use no special tools just an oil filter removing tool and tighten up........and they have no problems with leaks?
yep , yes and yep
assembled with care/tooling and a torqued wrenched, leaked, 3 months later

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back