Fiat Ducato Fuel Filter Failure (1 Viewer)

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
Well mine leaked again last sunday about 3 thousand miles since last time. Now fitted new complete housing that I was carrying as a spare. Will now have to invest £80 in another spare as I have no idea how long this one will last! By the way used correct tool and torque to correct 30nm on both occasions and leaks started again after a few thousand miles. As a point off interest asked a mechanic who services ducato based ambulances they use no special tools just an oil filter removing tool and tighten up........and they have no problems with leaks?

£80.00 is cheap cause i paid £150.00 that was made in 2012. My friend had to use my spare as his leaked and he never had to use the torque.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Hello

Sorry to resurrect this thread but my fuel filter started leaking today! :(

The base vehicle is a Fiat Ducato 130 multi jet 2010. Can someone please confirm that is the tool required?

If so I'll buy one and take it to my local garage to get the filter tightened. Or is it best to get a new one fitted?

Thanks.

KH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
once they start leaking you need a new filter and O ring

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Thank you. I have contacted the garage who service it for me and it is booked in on Tuesday to have a new filter and 'o' ring fitted.

KH

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Don't bother
Get a new one, it's all on push fits, an easy fix
My refurbished one lasted just a couple of thousand and leaked again
Bin it
It's not about the cost, it's where it dumps you having dumped the fuel overboard
Carry a spare

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Get a new one, it's all on push fits, an easy fix
I assume that you mean get the whole filter assembly. I'll let the garage carry on and do the 'refurbishment' as they are not going to charge me as it was replaced by them during its service a few weeks ago.

However in the meantime I shall order a spare filter housing. Do you know the Fiat part number please?

Thanks.

KH

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
I just carry a spare unit after two leaks in the most inconvenient places.
£64 from eBay (genuine part) and a five minute job, two push connections and an electric plug held by a clip and it lifts off.
I now tell the mechanic not to change it during a service, the mileage moho's do it probably doesn't need it.

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
I assume that you mean get the whole filter assembly. I'll let the garage carry on and do the 'refurbishment' as they are not going to charge me as it was replaced by them during its service a few weeks ago.

However in the meantime I shall order a spare filter housing. Do you know the Fiat part number please?

Thanks.

KH
I bought my spare one from info@shop4parts.co.uk
It cost me £155.92 and it is genuine. Don't buy from a fiat dealer as they will charge you about £280.00 for the same one as i bought. Be very careful when buying from ebay

Dec 21, 2010
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline
Exp
Since 1999
I have new fuel filter housing Genuine part never fitted as purchsed a new MH with steel filter. I gave £90 last year for it. Can be yours for £60 + postage

Dill

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
With a few weeks away in France coming up and having read this thread I will now carry a spare. Firstly though I need to find the thing so I know what I'm looking at.
Silly question 1. Where is it exactly?
SQ2. How do you change them over? (I see mention of a
special tool)
SQ3. Do you need a new filter inside?

I have a 2012 Auto-Trail on a Fiat 150 Multi jet.
Thanks for your patience.
regards
Nik.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
is the tool that is required.

I sent for one last week.

I will also get a replacement filter housing.

BTW I have no intention of ever trying to replace it myself but in the event that there is a problem I will have them aboard either for the 'recovery mechanic' or local garage.

The guide to using the tool is here.

KH

Last edited:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
With a few weeks away in France coming up and having read this thread I will now carry a spare. Firstly though I need to find the thing so I know what I'm looking at.
Silly question 1. Where is it exactly?
SQ2. How do you change them over? (I see mention of a
special tool)
SQ3. Do you need a new filter inside?

I have a 2012 Auto-Trail on a Fiat 150 Multi jet.
Thanks for your patience.
regards
Nik.
Filter is in engine bay......open bonnet look top right. If your filter housing has a green ring around it thats it. ( plastic)

If you have the metal canister type it will be silver with blue text on it.
If you have the metal one you shouldn't need a spare. As this is the uprated version
I have a 2013 130 multi and it has a metal one.

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
The two fuel pipes have a grey collar, push it back and the pipe pulls out. There's a little overflow pipe underneath.
Underneath is an electrical connection held on with a little metal clip needing thin pliers.
When this done the housing lifts up.
Reverse to put the new filter housing in.
If you look at the photos of the canister on the eBay sites you can see the fittings.
The filter doesn't need priming like some, it just fires up afterwards.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
is the tool that is required.

I sent for one last week.

I will also get a replacement filter housing.

BTW I have no intention of ever trying to replace it myself but in the event that there is a problem I will have them aboard either for the 'recovery mechanic' or local garage.

The guide to using the tool is here.

KH
Don't bother getting the tooling, spend the money on a spare , circa £70 and put it under the passenger seat.

When the repaired /serviced one leaks. ( which it will) fit the spare, or give it to the breakdown guy to fit

Simples

Again it's not the leak that's the problem so much as where it dumps you, for me it was M25 Heathrow and A14 Ipswich both very dangerous places to be covered in diesel and stranded

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
No
Use a rag
If you carry a spare the recovery guy will fit it

When mine leaked they tried to recover me as I didn't have a spare, they did £2000 of damage get me one the truck

I bought the tooling, that repaired one lasted a couple of thousand miles

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Does much fuel spill when the pipes are unclipped ?
It's the fuel that sprays out if the seal goes that's the problem! Once it was sorted we had major problems with our electrics, the dashboard looked like it was celebrating Christmas and the speedo and milometre only worked intermitantly. Fortunately the van was one day within its warranty expiry date so the dealer, Becks near Grt Yarmouth, had it for a few days to sort it all out. The fuse box is sited under the filter!! What bright spark designed that.....
We now carry a spare filter!
Chris

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Don't bother getting the tooling, spend the money on a spare , circa £70 and put it under the passenger seat.
Fair enough but surely it's worth having the tooling for the next filter change, or do you always replace the filter and the housing?

KH

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Fair enough but surely it's worth having the tooling for the next filter change, or do you always replace the filter and the housing?

KH
Hi
I fixed one with the correct tooling, correct torque settings, new gasket and filter. It spat it out two thousand miles later on the M25 near Heathrow

The uncertainty is the problem, they dump all the fuel and leave you stranded. Keep a refurbed one to get you home by all means

I fitted a new one and it's been on two years.
My original one lasted 20,000 or 7 years

The issue is the the filter is not fit for purpose

Some people refurb. them and get better results, but I'm not willing to inspect the hard shoulder again any time soon if I can avoid it. It's only £80 for a new one, why risk it ?

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Does this apply to new Fiats as well, or is it just certain years

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Does this apply to new Fiats as well, or is it just certain years
Good question

Mine is a 2007 X250 with a plastic filter housing

I believe the new ones have a metal filter housing , but I don't know when they changed over.

Lift the bonnet and look in the top right hand side it's the size of a XL coffee cup, grey ish with pipes in the cap

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Good question

Mine is a 2007 X250 with a plastic filter housing

I believe the new ones have a metal filter housing , but I don't know when they changed over.

Lift the bonnet and look in the top right hand side it's the size of a XL coffee cup, grey ish with pipes in the cap
I will when we get it 1st September

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back