Fantastic news for those heading to Scotland this Summer (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Typical journalese! I imagine that with the staycations expected this year everywhere will again experience 'unprecedented' tourism ............(with the exceptions of Bognor and Slough perhaps ;) ) .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
But when are these so-called facilities actually going to be implemented? Councils are not known for their spped of action (unless they face a legal penalty of course) and with everything still closed down who is going to do the work before the expected hordes of visitors arrive?

All power to every local council who is undertaking this sort of proposal, not just in Scotland, and may many more take notice. But I'm not expecting to see much movement this year, so we can all look forward again to loads of complaints about litter, emptying cassettes etc etc.

Not trying to dampen anyone's spirits, just being a realist. I'd love to be proved wrong of course.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
......and with everything still closed down who is going to do the work before the expected hordes of visitors arrive?
They got plenty of time to put up a new sign post outside our house with walking \ cycling directions and timings to local parks, etc and getting their bin lorry to knock it down the next morning!:whistle2::doh:

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Well if they are worried they should stop annoying humans, wear their masks and keep their distance...

JJ :cool:
Apparently they're getting fed up of a first course of Skin So Soft crusted human but getting a bit worried they're being deprived of trying the new Virus Loaded variety ;-)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
They got plenty of time to put up a new sign post outside our house with walking \ cycling directions and timings to local parks, etc and getting their bin lorry to knock it down the next morning!:whistle2::doh:
Yes, signposting is fairly easy. But they're talking of waste disposal points, water taps etc. As responsible motor-homers we of course are clued in about these things. But despite the number of members, we are still only a minority of motorhome/campervan owners who won't know any better.

And if they don't get it right pretty quickly, the overall result will cause so much uproar that we'll all be banned. That's why so many councils are putting up "No Motorhomes" signs!

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
But when are these so-called facilities actually going to be implemented?
We won't be going back to a tiered system until at least May, and travel between tiers/from England will still be banned. I don't expect travel to the Highlands to be possible for most until at least July.. so that's four months to get things sorted. I don't think we should underestimate the local interest in how much value this sort of tourism is introducing into the Highlands. It's not fighting to be on the agenda.

All very positive imho... much better than the more common 'motorhomes are a problem let's ban them' attitude I keep reading about from south of the border.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I have suspicions the economy will rebound strongly.

A lot of people haven’t spent money during the pandemic the same as lots have been furloughed unfortunately.

We had to have some work done on the windows, the company have had their busiest winter ever and normally they are quiet this time of year. Lots of people have spare cash as there is nowhere open to spend it.

I think hospitality and campsites realise this and will gear up accordingly. Councils likewise will also support anything likely to make the economic recovery quicker. Much cheaper to utilise Aires and car parks for revenue for a small outlay than spend time and effort policing bans and clearing up after the idiots.

After all the doom and gloom, I am really excited. We might not make France this year, an Aire type system in Scotland would be amazing.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Assuming wee nippy will allow cross border traffic? ;) :giggle:

Does she have the power/authority to prohibit it? 🤷‍♂️

Ian
PS - your emojis didn’t go unnoticed. 👍

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Does she have the power/authority to prohibit it? 🤷‍♂️

Ian
PS - your emojis didn’t go unnoticed. 👍

She obviously believes she does! No shortage of wishful thinking, nor it seems, plotting.

I can't wait for the result of Salmond v Sturgeon. (cue fish puns ... :rofl:)

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
She doesn't have to, the folks in the Highlands made it perfectly clear through previous lock downs they didn't want people from other areas invading the Highlands in their MoHo's and caravans, nowt to do with political capital and much more to do with protecting themselves and their local health services. Hopefully the same attitudes don't prevail once transmission rates drop to levels that allow travel again, the Highlands and many other areas rely heavily on tourism and being Scottish I'm a great advocate when meeting folks that haven't been to get their backsides up there.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
I’ve just read that the experts reckon we are a couple of weeks behind England so it will be interesting when and if England are allowed free travel and we ( Scotland ) are still in lockdown

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
She doesn't have to, the folks in the Highlands made it perfectly clear through previous lock downs they didn't want people from other areas invading the Highlands in their MoHo's and caravans, nowt to do with political capital and much more to do with protecting themselves and their local health services. Hopefully the same attitudes don't prevail once transmission rates drop to levels that allow travel again, the Highlands and many other areas rely heavily on tourism and being Scottish I'm a great advocate when meeting folks that haven't been to get their backsides up there.
It wasn’t just in the Highlands. The same thing happened here in the SW. All the council car parks had (and still have) signs saying “Dumfries and Galloway is closed to visitors”.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
They will get the aires all sorted with toilets waste dumps and fresh water taps. Then they will get independence and put signs up saying “ for the use of only true Scots” otherwise £45.23 pn to all others😀

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
They will get the aires all sorted with toilets waste dumps and fresh water taps. Then they will get independence and put signs up saying “ for the use of only true Scots” otherwise £45.23 pn to all others😀
That’s just so we can see the rest of you in kilts 😇

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Can't believe the pound will have fallen that much in value against the euro :)

Actually Scot Gov has already proposed 'rural visas' to encourage people to come, so I think you'll be safe.

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
This was at th e start of the pandemic highland councils and the islanders are desperate to get back open again it's the tourist business they rely on, one of the aires is going to be at the falls of shin which already has a huge car park , but again it depends on everyone to make sure we don't leave anything behind but tyre marks take our rubbish with us ,wee jimmy kranky doesn't care about Scotland she's only interested in her ego .

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Here in Dumfries and Galloway we are in no rush to open up to tourists. This last wave hit us really hard and there is no wish to repeat that, so caution is the watchword. Things will open up but perhaps not as soon as some would wish.

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
the folks in the Highlands made it perfectly clear through previous lock downs they didn't want people from other areas invading the Highlands in their MoHo's and caravans,
So do no folk from the Highlands go on holiday no one in the Highlands got a motorhome - caravan that go to other parts of the UK and Europe if they do then it should be made clear that they are not wanted and should stay in the Highlands.IMHO.

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
There are currently 3 Aires that have passed planning one at Shin Falls .We walked there today from our house ,as yet no work has started there ,and the visitors centre is closed Covid restrictions.I will update the forum when work gets under way.

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
So do no folk from the Highlands go on holiday no one in the Highlands got a motorhome - caravan that go to other parts of the UK and Europe if they do then it should be made clear that they are not wanted and should stay in the Highlands.IMHO.
I Think you will be made very welcome in the Highlands hopefully this year .We did have a very busy time last year with a few irresponsible people doing things the should not have ,as did other places throughout Scotland and I would assume England as well.I think if you had see the laybys in our neck of the woods i am sure you would have been shocked .Hopefully some of the Aires will get under way and that will help take some of the pressure on the infrastructure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back