External BBQ point.......How much!!! (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@Tykat

Don't know the Gas Safety regulations or guidance for using Faro poly pipe in a caravan, so can't comment ..

here is the regulation about pipe materials

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/2451/regulation/5/made
Materials and workmanship
5.—(1) No person shall install a gas fitting unless every part of it is of good construction and sound material, of adequate strength and size to secure safety and of a type appropriate for the gas with which it is to be used.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1) above, no person shall install in a building any pipe or pipe fitting for use in the supply of gas which is—

(a)made of lead or lead alloy; or

(b)made of a non-metallic substance unless it is—

(i)a pipe connected to a readily movable gas appliance designed for use without a flue; or

(ii)a pipe entering the building and that part of it within the building is placed inside a metallic sheath which is so constructed and installed as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, the escape of gas into the building if the pipe should fail.

(3) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel otherwise than in accordance with appropriate standards and in such a way as to prevent danger to any person.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Jim, do those regulations apply to motorhomes, as opposed to buildings? I thought they didn't apply unless the motorhome was for hire.

Just checked and they do not apply

Section 2(5) states
"Nothing in these Regulations shall apply in relation to the supply of gas to, or anything done in respect of a gas fitting on—

(a)a self-propelled vehicle except when such a vehicle is—

(i)hired out in the course of a business; or

(ii)made available to members of the public in the course of a business carried on from that vehicle;"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If your pipe came out of a fitting it wasn't done by a competent gas fitter.. or if it was he was extremely careless , and coming out had nothing to do with how well it was fixed to the wall.. obviously the olive wasn't fitted properly and correctly torqued up..
... that's pretty much what the engineer's report said but in addition the pipe itself appeared to have been cut short when they fitted the t-piece for the BBQ pipe and this put the connection itself under stress ... this is why I suggested a putting on a bracket to ensure the pipe can't move - if ours had had this on it wouldn't have been able to come out of the joint no matter how bad the connection was.

sounds to me like it was a bodge job from start to finish .. I hope you had serious words with the dealer !
Yup ... we held firm and made them get an independent engineer report done before they got their grubby little mitts on it and then they had to follow his re-installation instructions to the letter ... we did get all the work repaired and the use of 2 motorhomes for our booked holidays whilst this was all going on before they fixed it, and then they forgot about replacing the slightly scorched kitchen worktop so we agreed to live with it (fortunately it was only visible underneath) and got a free hab check and service out of them as compensation.

so no worries , my pipework is adequately secured,

but thanks for your concern..
My concern is if others copy the installation, which they may, then their simply fitting a small bracket to the pipe itself would ensure it could not come out regardless of how well it has been done ... belt and braces like!

Below are some photos of our 'bodged dealer job'!

gas pipe gap - r.jpg
joint - r.JPG
nut & olive - r.JPG

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My concern is if others copy the installation, which they may, then their simply fitting a small bracket to the pipe itself would ensure it could not come out regardless of how well it has been done ... belt and braces like!

support brackets distances are specified to prevent pipe sagging.

for future reference..
maximum interval for support brackets for 8mm copper tube, horizontal, is 0.6mt .. vertical runs, 0.9mt . see table. I would always support at lot closer than that.

the distance between the BBQ outlet and it's first support is less than 0.25mt.

regarding your near miss.. what a bodge of a job ..
I don't see ANY support brackets in the pipes, do you have a picture of the job after it was redone ?

Untitled.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are the bracket spacings in relation to a static (ie domestic) installation rather than in a moving vehicle? Just curious.

regarding your near miss.. what a bodge of a job ..
I don't see ANY support brackets in the pipes, do you have a picture of the job after it was redone ?
I don't think I've got any 'after' photos but I can assure you it was way over engineered to make sure it could never happen again ...

It did enough damage as it was though when we had the 5ft blow-torch ... including melting the side of the fridge door ...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As said the issue would be with insurance . If you had a problem and it causes damage the first thing an insurance company will ask is who fitted the gas point .

I have spoke to insurance companies on carrying out DIY modifications to gas and electric and the reply I got is it has to be covered by a certificate .

" It was there when I bought it "

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Are the bracket spacings in relation to a static (ie domestic) installation rather than in a moving vehicle? Just curious.

not to my knowledge.... Google is your friend.. ;)

Wade 8mm compression fittings have max pressure of 210 bar... 30mb won't even tickle it .. they also provide good mechanical support.. in other words.. strong.

Correctly fitted, you could not pull one apart.. no matter how hard you try or how much bending you place on the fitting.. the copper pipe would fracture before the fitting failed. They have to be strong.. as said they are used off-shore and in oil refineries for pressures that far exceed anything you will ever come across is a domestic installation. or even in a camper van.

useful guide you may find interesting

https://www.wadefittings.com

Last edited:

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Generally I agree with what you say. I carry out my own DIY work on my motorhome if I think it is within my capabilities. That includes most electrics and gas.

But just a note of caution. "Beyond reasonable doubt" as a concept is only used in criminal law cases. This would be a civil law case, in which case the burden of proof is based on "the balance of probabilities", i.e. what is more likely than not to have happened.

Electrics after 2008 come under 17th edition for EU wiring installations section 720 for motorhomes and touring caravans regulations and need certifications for any new installations .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back