Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Just south of Valencia city, La Albufera ...

The Albufera, meaning "lagoon" in Valencian, from Arabic البحيرة al-buhayra, "small sea"), is a freshwater lagoon and estuary on the Gulf of Valencia coast of the Valencian Community in eastern Spain. It is the main portion of the Parc Natural de l'Albufera de València, with a surface area of 21,120 hectares (52,200 acres). The natural biodiversity of the nature reserve allows a great variety of flora and fauna to thrive and be observed year-round. Though once a saltwater lagoon, dilution due to irrigation and canals draining into the estuary and the sand bars increasing in size had converted it to freshwater by the seventeenth century.

Valencia city is very much worth a visit. For a walk, stroll the Turia Gardens, created from the old riverbed when the river Turia was re-routed and at the end see some of the most amazing modern architecture on the planet.

Old stuff, too ...

And the home town of paella

Attachments

• City of A & S 01a.JPG
    City of A & S 01a.JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Hemirsferic  & Opera House-.JPG
    Hemirsferic & Opera House-.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 30
  • City of A & S GH 05.JPG
    City of A & S GH 05.JPG
    568.8 KB · Views: 28
  • La Lona GH 08.JPG
    La Lona GH 08.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Alleyway. barrio El Carmen. Valencia. Spain-0049.JPG
    Alleyway. barrio El Carmen. Valencia. Spain-0049.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 29
  • street paella.jpg
    street paella.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 30

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Rio Tinto Copper Mine sorry cannot remember exact location but we spent a day there a couple of years ago. Museum visit, small train ride to visit the mine & river then you can visit a house that was built for the English mine bosses. Very interesting & not expensive.
Near Nerva in Huelva Province. We had a trip out there last weekend from our current base. Very good, amazing landscape.

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Just south of Valencia city, La Albufera ...
Valencia city is very much worth a visit. For a walk, stroll the Turia Gardens, created from the old riverbed when the river Turia was re-routed and at the end see some of the most amazing modern architecture on the planet.

Old stuff, too ...

And the home town of paella

Thank you. We are now further south than that, we will have to save it for a future visit. I like the photos, it will be really interesting to see at some point!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thanks, mostly they are my husband's. We are only using phones - you can tell which are on mine as they are out of focus! :LOL:
Yep I only use a phone camera too...get some good pics with it though .

I passed that mountain on the way to Santa coloma...wish I'd stopped there now but hey ho.

The delta area looks good though plan to go in there ...where did you stay

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Days 14-16 Delta de L'Ebre

Completely flat, this was a big contrast to the other areas. Loads of bird life, peaceful and warm. Most of the fields were bare mud at this time of year so it would be interesting to visit when they are flooded and growing rice.

Looking back to the mainland
2018-01-23 17.49.19.jpg

Flamingos
2018-01-24 12.35.09.jpg

There is a dog friendly bit of beach just north of Riumar
2018-01-25 11.00.47.jpg
2018-01-25 12.06.45.jpg

2018-01-25 12.28.17.jpg

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
I passed that mountain on the way to Santa coloma...wish I'd stopped there now but hey ho.

The delta area looks good though plan to go in there ...where did you stay

Maybe go to Montserrat another time, it was impressively huge. We avoided the touristy area of the monastery and went for the natural park.

In the delta we stayed at Casa de Fusta. 20-30 motorhomes there. Free to stay 3 euro water etc (Anecdotaly only available 9:30-11:30. We didn't use them though, we used the free ones near Lidl in Deltebre.) Site is better than the photos on search for sites with trees being planted etc. Peaceful (other than one Brit van's loud music one evening!). Loads of walks and cycle paths too. Quite middle of nowhere, the back roads can be very bumpy. Amazing number of birds.

longwayhome

Free Member
Apr 1, 2017
Exmouth
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just for a year
If you get that far then the area round Grazelema is great for mountain walking. Lots of parking but mostly without services

Mouse66

Free Member
Oct 17, 2017
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just ordered, pick up April3rd 2018
We are really getting excited for our trip starting in April. We are two New Zealand chicks bought a camper in UK and traveling over to Europe, mainly France Spain and Portugal. It’s all a bit daunting really, do most of you follow your noses and stop where you like, do you stay in camp grounds, and how do you find Aires? We have 3 months. I haven’t really worked out how to use this web site but it would be great to connect with people when we are there so we don’t feel so alone and so far away from home!!! Excited and terrified all at once!!! Thanks to everyone in advance!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We are really getting excited for our trip starting in April. We are two New Zealand chicks bought a camper in UK and traveling over to Europe, mainly France Spain and Portugal. It’s all a bit daunting really, do most of you follow your noses and stop where you like, do you stay in camp grounds, and how do you find Aires? We have 3 months. I haven’t really worked out how to use this web site but it would be great to connect with people when we are there so we don’t feel so alone and so far away from home!!! Excited and terrified all at once!!! Thanks to everyone in advance!

You've taken the first (and best step) joining this forum. There's always someone on here to chat with or to answer any technical or non technical questions you might have.

One of the best ways of finding Aires is to use Camper Contact, either on the web or download the app (small charge for that).

Link Removed

And welcome to FUN!

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Moved from caravan in 2017
What an interesting thread.
No one has mentioned Monfrague National Park with its attendant site near to Plasencia. Beautiful and full of Griffon vultures.
We’re presently in Portugal but heading east during the next few days. There are so many ideas there. Many thanks.
Seakerr.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Phone apps are great for aires

Search for sites.com and park4night are the ones I use most ...currently in spain

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@klaatu
C8174AC8-467A-499C-BCDE-CCEAB7C24A1D.jpeg
96C296E2-F8F1-4B47-BDBB-8DEA40730498.jpeg
If at Huelva you really need to visit El Rocio on your way East it’s not far but a real experience situated on a lagoon in DONAÑA national park good birding loads of walks and the village is something else,we visit every year,this weekend they are celebrating the end of winter horses and carts everywhere.

Last edited:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, we went to El Rocio a couple of weeks ago, amazing place.

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Nearly up to date...

Day 17 Delta - Simat de la Valldigna
We realised we needed to get a move on in order to get round Spain in the time we have available so did a longer drive today. Lots and lots of orange groves (well it is Valencia...). Once we got to the aire we went for a walk and even the air smells of oranges. Mmmm
2018-01-26 17.17.46.jpg

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Day 18 (today) Simat - Guadalest
Went to Penyal d'Ifac, something I have wanted to see for some months. We did the walk up to and just through the tunnel. From the tunnel onwards the stone is smooth like it has been polished and very slippy! The walk was quicker than I expected so we walked around Calp a bit. I hadn't realised how big it was and how it would have so many high rise buildings. It was very sunny but also very windy, enough we couldn't hear each other or anything else in some places on the rock.

Due to the wind we wanted to find a sheltered place to overnight so have gone inland a little and into the hills to Castel de Guadalest. We have an entire car park to ourselves for 4 euros. It has been hailing and raining most of the time since but we are protected from the wind.

2018-01-27 14.35.09.jpg
2018-01-27 14.26.07.jpg
2018-01-27 17.33.33.jpg
2018-01-27 17.37.25.jpg

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We've made it to the Delta today via 3 fuel stations to get LPG (broken, closed for siesta, got) and 2 aires to get water (invisible :eek: , got for 1 euro :))...

It is all very flat as expected and the rice paddies are all dry mud atm. No mosquitos though as they are drained. This place is really busy! It is weird having about 20 other motorhomes with us, most of the time so far we've been on our own.

Moose :D

Last time we went there the campers magically made space for us. And, as we drove majestically into the space provided THEY realised we weren't the couple in an identical van who had just popped out to the shops!
Hey Ho! smiles all round.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Day 18 (today) Simat - Guadalest
Went to Penyal d'Ifac, something I have wanted to see for some months. We did the walk up to and just through the tunnel. From the tunnel onwards the stone is smooth like it has been polished and very slippy! The walk was quicker than I expected so we walked around Calp a bit. I hadn't realised how big it was and how it would have so many high rise buildings. It was very sunny but also very windy, enough we couldn't hear each other or anything else in some places on the rock.

Due to the wind we wanted to find a sheltered place to overnight so have gone inland a little and into the hills to Castel de Guadalest. We have an entire car park to ourselves for 4 euros. It has been hailing and raining most of the time since but we are protected from the wind.

View attachment 209358 View attachment 209359 View attachment 209360 View attachment 209362
nice example of parking that gets m,homes moved on though.
its easy to see what annoys the guardia etc .
go on only use two places .
its the little things that count.
naughty ,naughty.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Rio Tinto Copper Mine sorry cannot remember exact location but we spent a day there a couple of years ago. Museum visit, small train ride to visit the mine & river then you can visit a house that was built for the English mine bosses. Very interesting & not expensive.

The Rio Tinto mine, (from which the giant Mining Co. gets its name, no longer owned by them) is nr. Huelva in the South West of Spain.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
naughty ,naughty.

There is a lot of upset Spanish motorhomers on the forums at the moment, putting pictures and videos on of all the free campers and making it difficult for them to park anywhere, a lot of motorhomes get away with parking anywhere at home but since all the motorhomes took over a car park he parked in he now has 24 hours.......... he is not happy. :mad:
I had to pick our daughter from alicante airport last weekend and parked on the beach where we have overnight in the past saw purple Bob there ;) @vwalan . Got home looking on the Spanish forums they have put a video on :whistle: drops them off yesterday parked to have breakfast and walk the dog, we were parked away from all the others where the locals come in their cars, and a Dutchman in a tag Hymer parks next to me and dumps his waste.:rolleyes:
They wonder why they get moved. :eek:

120998165--624x353.jpg FB_IMG_1517082471946.jpg caravanas-kVEC-U50802099814TAH-624x385@Las Provincias.jpg

Shame some have to spoil it because this year seems to be live and let live, but there are not many that free park most are camping. :rolleyes: Bob.

champbob

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Wirral
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
Since 2004
Whilst on your exploratory trips please let us know places you recommend so we can go for 3 months in September
Many thanks
Bob

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
naughty ,naughty.
We wouldn't park like this normally. But there is no one else here, the car park entrance road has Road work barriers blocking it and we had to wait for a man who took our money, gave us tickets, removed the barriers to let us in and put the barriers back up. This car park is not visible from the village, road or anywhere other than the top of the castle. There is another car park next door for cars and buses (half used).
Lastly there was strong wind, 12 hours of rain and hail and a big thunder storm overnight. We wanted to park facing the wind for safety.
We aren't just hogging the spaces to not let others in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Oh and we have never wild camped/parked or camped/parked overnight in a free car park. Even the ones on search for sites. We have only stayed on Aires or camp sites.
We haven't ever got our chairs/awning/table out even on a campsite. We did get our doormat out on a campsite as the ground was a bit muddy and we didn't want to make it worse by getting in and out of the same steps.
Waste is always done at proper service facilities, even when it means extra driving or changing where we stay overnight.
Oh and we follow the no dogs rules and pick up his poo (and carry it around for ages as there don't seem to be many poo bins).
Are there any other rules we need to watch out for?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Whilst on your exploratory trips please let us know places you recommend so we can go for 3 months in September
Many thanks
Bob

Being an ex trucker one thing you learn is never tell anyone where you park for various reasons be it getting robbed ;) or even worse it being full when you get there. :cry:
And that was before internet :rolleyes: I was always told if you have it in your head your useful ;) that stops the moment you put it on paper. :LOL:
We never keep a record of all the places we park, but if we pull up somewhere even if it was 10 years ago you remember it. :D2
September is a long way off and anything can happen in that time, the best advice is if the locals park there providing they are in the motorhome and not outside their house you will be alright. (y) Bob.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
We wouldn't park like this normally. But there is no one else here, the car park entrance road has Road work barriers blocking it and we had to wait for a man who took our money, gave us tickets, removed the barriers to let us in and put the barriers back up. This car park is not visible from the village, road or anywhere other than the top of the castle. There is another car park next door for cars and buses (half used).
Lastly there was strong wind, 12 hours of rain and hail and a big thunder storm overnight. We wanted to park facing the wind for safety.
We aren't just hogging the spaces to not let others in.
it was only advice , its easy done . but over the years have noticed the spanish dont like it . plus in the rules 08/v it gives rules on parking . i dont quite know the carpark. but only trying to help. wasnt meant to offend hope you have a good one .

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I went to visit les ferreres aquaduct outside of tarragona today and had trouble parking despite there being 6 large bays for buses and Motor homes....all taken up by Spanish cars:( ....not even space left to turn around so I had to park past a no entry sign....only way I could turn around and as it is directly off a dual carriageway I couldn't reverse.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back