Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Cabo de Gata is a must as well as the hills behind Javea and there is a beautiful gorge to explore near the small town of Arnes where we saw loads of vultures and Ibex,

The Tincas

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
some nice places around alcaniz by the lakes then drop down having a nose at other lakes on the way to or from morella . depends if going north or south.
all over inland spain the wild life can be fantastic , vultures wolves , wild boar. red deer . the bird life is amazing . never mind the bears http://www.iberianature.com/material/spainbearnews.htm
and down on the med you may see ibex a kind of goat crossed with reindeer.

We've already been watching the Eurasian Griffon Vultures for hours when we were at Tavertet. They came over really close a few times to check us (well probably the dog) out!
Also we saw evidence of rooting and would have assumed boar... Except it was half way up Montserrat and very steep! So not sure what that was.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Why don’t you just get the map out.............and act like you really are a ....random moose.
We have been doing that so far, but ended up in a few disappointing places so getting suggestions from other people helps us have areas to explore.
Just found out when going to fill up before leaving today that this Aire is non potable water grr. Have to add that to the listing so other people know in the future. Could have done with some more water this morning

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
We've made it to the Delta today via 3 fuel stations to get LPG (broken, closed for siesta, got) and 2 aires to get water (invisible :eek: , got for 1 euro :))...

It is all very flat as expected and the rice paddies are all dry mud atm. No mosquitos though as they are drained. This place is really busy! It is weird having about 20 other motorhomes with us, most of the time so far we've been on our own.

Moose :D

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi
Just left the Delta.Used Casa de Fusta aire.N40.65851 E0.67475 .Free ,just pay 3 euro for services.
Repsol garage in Amposta for gas N40.70925 E0.58842.
Recommend DK Eyewitness _Back roads Spain.
IMG_20180123_222436.jpg

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
How about dropping in to Gibraltar, park up and walk or bus over. We were there in early January for two days, I wish I had my little bike with me and I would have gone all over it. More scooters there than the rest of GB I reckon.

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Thanks @mojo for the recommendations. We are at that Aire too, been for a short walk near the lake and we'll probably do a cycle tomorrow. It is nice seeing and hearing all the birds. :)

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
How about dropping in to Gibraltar, park up and walk or bus over
That's one place we are considering, mainly for going up the rock and seeing if any of the shops do Tunnocks bars as we'll have run out by then... :LOL:;)

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Well the visit to the Delta is going well so far. The best bit is loads and loads of birds. I'm not a bird watcher so don't know what all of them are but it is so nice having them around. Also my dog likes finding the odd wing on the side of the road *crunch crunch*

It is 'interesting' here rather than 'pretty'. Lots of bare mud in this season but you get to see how all the canals interconnect and how surprisingly shallow the fields are. It is bizarre seeing ripe oranges on the trees, artichokes being harvested and flamingos in the lagoons.

Yesterday we walked and my husband cycled round the big lagoon. Today we went to the dog friendly beach and I even paddled in the sea - for about 30 seconds as it was bitterly cold! :LOL: We picked up a whole bag of plastic litter including a line and hook. The small back roads here are rough and corrugated so we are driving very slowly. We drove on the beach road on the south spar too, it was funny seeing lots of lorries up and down the beach road.

Tomorrow I'm hoping my injured leg/foot is better enough to go for a cycle and then we are off to Morella. Need a hill again after all this flat!

Moose :)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
So many great ideas, thanks!

At the moment the vague plan is go down the east side, a bit of time at the south then up via Seville, Córdoba, Madrid, then into the Pyrenees (depending on weather as we don't have snow tyres). With all your suggestions I now have some more ideas of where to visit.

On the Spanish side Pyrenees, we came across Camping Castillo de Loarre, above the village of Loarre , Huesca region, the campsite is or was a bit old fashion,we went about 4 years ago, we nearly turned around but was so glad we didn't , had a big shower block, and electrics , they park you amongst almond trees they have a bar and restaurant , the views are lovely you can see about 30 miles as the site is level but high up , nice walk down a footpath to village of Loarre , don't do what we did we walked down for bread and they said we get our bread from campsite, lots of the villagers eat at weekends at campsite, above campsite is the is the Castillo de loarre one of the oldest castles in Spain , plenty of walking about , we thought it was a fascinating place.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
@Randommoose , you talking about Delt'ebre has got me thinking about the area and in particular having a trip, probably in Spring or Autumn, that followed the course of the River Ebro, the longest(I think) river in Spain from its source in the Basque Country down to the Delta at Tortosa. We did a short part of it in a car in 2004 at the Tortosa end and I have just followed the course of the river on Google maps and it meanders beautifully in places. We have crossed it several times at Miranda del Ebro in the north but have never actually looked at its full course until now. Thank you.

Jun 20, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
We drove on the beach road on the south spar too, it was funny seeing lots of lorries up and down the beach road.
The lorries are collecting Ebro Salt. It is not the best time to see the Delta, really interesting in September when they harvest the rice. It is a lovely area driving towards Tortosa and behind the Els Ports mountains. We love this area as it is real Spain

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Thanks @Tony50 for the suggestion. I'm going to keeping looking back in the thread at various people's suggestions as we get to the regions they have mentioned. It is really helpful.

@namwaldog That sounds like a great idea for a trip. I had no idea the river was so long! I've just looked it up on Wikipedia and there is a map there.

I've drawn a map of Spain on a piece of paper to help me understand where we are and how far we need to travel. Constantly flipping atlas pages isn't working for me! I think we need to get a bit of a move on if we want to make it to certain places with enough time to explore!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Spain's a big place with lots to see. There is a Via Verde from Tortosa (old railway line now used for recreation) that goes in!and along the Ebro

https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&sour...FjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3y9yw-m2_rmjvEqY6BPjKj

There are places along it to park (and stay for the night) usually at the old station buildings.

There is a network of these via verdes throughout Spain.

www.viasverdes.com

There are many places in Spain that you'll not be able to visit on one trip, you'll run out of time!!!

I'm sure you'll find enough to do though!

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
The west coast from Cadiz south to Tarifa is stunning beautiful and unspoilt no major tourist developments, the beaches are to die for and inland there are many great areas for walking or cycling. Plenty of campsites and wilding.
Is it very windy there? We stopped for a few days South of Cadiz, on the coast, but made our way inland to avoid the wind.
Sierra espuna is gorgeous and great for walking

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
The area especially to the South can be windy, there is the famed Levante wind from the East which can be very strong and coming over land is mild/warm. The West wind called the Poniente is not usually so strong and cooler coming off the sea. Tarifa and the beaches just to the North are claimed to be the finest in Europe for wind and kite surfing, so yes Sue it can get very windy.

Reactions: Sue

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I've drawn a map of Spain on a piece of paper to help me understand where we are and how far we need to travel. Constantly flipping atlas pages isn't working for me! I think we need to get a bit of a move on if we want to make it to certain places with enough time to explore![/QUOTE]

As has been said, Spain is a huge country. I do all my travel planning on a fold up road map - it’s the right size to get places into context, then go down to a local level with your road atlas.

Don’t think anyone has mentioned Valle de Laguar- really lovely walking country with views out to sea over Denia.

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Thanks @jumartoo for the via verdes link, we will search some of those out as it looks like they could be good for cycling with the dog (him either running or in the trailer). :)

We changed our minds today and have gone south. The weather for Morella was forecast to be really windy with snow and we just didn't want that! Also we realised we need to do a bit more travelling if we are going to get round in time as we have about 4 weeks left in Spain. It is really novel being able to change plans on the day, I've always disliked last minute change but I'm enjoying the freedom now! :LOL:

It was a good day to travel as it rained most of the time, might as well get that out of the way while sitting in the motorhome. We have seen the weather warnings for the next few days so are trying to plan our stops around the need for shelter from wind. Beach parking is out by the looks of it so we will overnight inland.

I am hoping to go up Penon de Ifach (only the path up to the tunnel, not the climb above) in the next day or two but it will depend on weather, parking, my foot and any other random factors that come into play. If not, we will walk on the flat and look at it ;)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Cabo de Gata natural park in Almeria San Jose, Las Negras, Los Escullos, Agua Amarga, superb coastal scenery, isolated beaches, volcanic hilly walking country. Camp sites and camperstop in amongst.

Good one Matamoros - I would add Isla Plana on the East coast and the are around Conil de la Frontera on nthe Wsat Coast :)

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Day 3 Honfleur - Montbizot
No photos as it was fog or cloud all day.

Day 4 Monbizot - Chouze-sur-Loire (via a drive round the Le Mans circuit :LOL::D2)

2018-01-13 12.25.16.jpg

Very straight roads
2018-01-13 13.18.13.jpg

The Loire extremely high with lots of evidence of recent flooding
2018-01-13 16.11.14.jpg

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Day 5&6 Chouze-sur-Loire - Orcines. We stayed for 2 nights to weather a storm, rest from driving and do some maintenance. It was nice and sunny when we arrived but not the rest of the time. The storm even broke 2 trees!

2018-01-15 09.17.01.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Day 7 Orcines - La Couvertoirade
We had hoped to see the Millau valley/viaduct but the fog was too thick. The higher roads were clear but windy. I saw a lorry carrying a swimming pool liner catch the wind and the rear trailer wheels on one side come a few feet off the ground!
Any photos are just too boring!

Day 8/9 La Couv. - Lloret de Mar. SPAIN. SUN! 2 nights here. Walks along the beach front and then winding cliff paths (lots of stairs). I felt embarrassingly touristy in my t shirt with the locals in down coats, hats and scarves. :oops:

2018-01-17 22.29.27.jpg
2018-01-18 13.11.05.jpg
2018-01-18 13.20.59.jpg
2018-01-18 13.21.30.jpg
2018-01-18 13.24.46.jpg

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Day 10/11 Tavertet
Up to the mountains (hills/mountains - how do you tell which it is?) Fun windy access road. AMAZING views, lots of walks, griffon vultures. The sun was shining and we were above the mist. This was the best place so far.

2018-01-19 12.08.37.jpg
2018-01-19 13.57.52.jpg
2018-01-19 14.43.29.jpg
2018-01-19 14.45.20.jpg

Submerged church
2018-01-19 14.47.06.jpg
2018-01-20 14.23.24.jpg

Vultures on the thermal
2018-01-20 15.08.48.jpg
2018-01-20 17.53.18.jpg

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Rio Tinto Copper Mine sorry cannot remember exact location but we spent a day there a couple of years ago. Museum visit, small train ride to visit the mine & river then you can visit a house that was built for the English mine bosses. Very interesting & not expensive.

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Day 12 Tavertet - Navarcles
This was a sunny and warm day, no photos though. We chose this aire as it is the closest to Montserrat for the next day. We spent a couple of hours walking around the river/lake/allotments etc.

Day 13 Montserrat National Park. St Coloma de Querelt for overnight
Montserrat was great, and we walked around needles in the park (not the main tourist monastery area) for more than 4 hours.

Our route:
http://muntanyamontserrat.gencat.ca...bruc/circular_regio_agulles_frares_encantats/

The view approaching
2018-01-22 10.36.06.jpg

Nice windy road round the south of the mountain
2018-01-22 10.44.31.jpg

Start of the path (convenient car park fits the motorhome). The walk goes around this 'block' of mountain.
2018-01-22 11.51.00.jpg

Me striding off "This is easy!"
2018-01-22 11.53.55.jpg

The walk varied between 700 and 975m high. This is about 850ish.
2018-01-22 12.30.22.jpg

Lots of scrambling, mainly downhill. This photo is taken at eye level and horizontal on a bit we had just come down. It was steep and often slippy. Fun though!
IMG_20180122_134053445.jpg
La Portella pass in the next two photos. Lots of crouching to reach a leg down to the next footing. Howling wind. Great fun!
IMG_20180122_143218591.jpg
2018-01-22 14.34.12.jpg

So if you want to do this route then I highly recommend it. Just expect 4 hours and some tricky sections, not the 2:15 and 'average' the website says. There is also lots of walking through forest, some caves with springs, a refuge that is a cafe in season, and lot of wonderful views.

Moose :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180122_134106561.jpg
    IMG_20180122_134106561.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 4

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries