Evenin' All - first time buyer.... (1 Viewer)

Rouleur

Free Member
Feb 1, 2020
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Hello Folks, new to the forum and in the research/shopping around phase of joining this 'World of Fun'. Hope you can give me a couple of pointers.
Have done a few weeks of 'improvised motorhoming' - i.e. surviving in a SWB Renault Trafic with 2 gas burner stoves, sleeping bags, a 'shower-from-a-bag', etc, but that was mostly in benign Spanish summer temperatures.
Looking to do a lot more UK stuff, with better facilities, most likely 2-10 night duration - 6-10 'weekenders' per year and 1-2 of the 7-10 day excursions. 2 adults, 2 medium sized dogs, 2 pushbikes most of the time.
For storage/garaging I know a coachbuilt with a hefty rear compartment would likely be best, but I think the width saving on a van conversion may swing things as we'll do a decent amount of mileage on minor roads. The vehicle may occasionally need to double up as 'second car' or 'load carrier', so driveability (at least to out-of-town shops etc) would be a factor. Cost also comes into it. Happy to be buying second hand, hopefully sub-20,000 miles on the clock, seems to put us in £30k-£40k territory?
Currently assessing 6.00-6.40m van conversions. Is there notably better build quality from particular manufacturers/converters? Or are there any to steer clear of because of quality concerns? Have looked at dozens of video reviews online (most reviewers seem to praise just about everything they get their hands on) and visited the NEC show around this time last year. But that hasn't massively helped me narrow down particular manufacturers or models to focus the search on.
So.....watcha reckon? Thanks in advance for any help.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
:welcome3:

As a pvc owner, agree with your assessment of the advantages. And that's after 2 coachbuilts owned previously.

I reckon you should be able to get a decent used van for your budget.

You need to try to work out what layout would work best for you. If you can manage with a fixed transverse double bed across the back, you'd probably be OK with a 6-metre van. But if you prefer longitudinal singles or giant double then the 6.4-metre van is likely to be best.

We prefer continental brands, as a lot do on here. Globecar are popular and Adria. Also Rapido - we've got a Rapido V68 (6.4m). And we sometimes use it as an alternative to the car.

Good luck, whatever you decide to go for! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rouleur

Rouleur

Free Member
Feb 1, 2020
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
:welcome3:

As a pvc owner, agree with your assessment of the advantages. And that's after 2 coachbuilts owned previously.

I reckon you should be able to get a decent used van for your budget.

You need to try to work out what layout would work best for you. If you can manage with a fixed transverse double bed across the back, you'd probably be OK with a 6-metre van. But if you prefer longitudinal singles or giant double then the 6.4-metre van is likely to be best.

We prefer continental brands, as a lot do on here. Globecar are popular and Adria. Also Rapido - we've got a Rapido V68 (6.4m). And we sometimes use it as an alternative to the car.

Good luck, whatever you decide to go for! (y)
Is a transverse double viable if I'm 1m 85cm myself? Thanks for the observation on continental brands - is that primarily for build quality? Cheers!

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Broken Link Removed
Autocruise Panel vans are quite versatile. Steer clear of the Coachbuilt Autocruise as they can suffer from water ingress tracking down side join screws causing soft walls and floors.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
:hi2:w2f

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated welcome group purple.gif

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
:WelcomeFlag: Looking forward to hearing and seeing all about your purchase
Your at the right place for help n support

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Is a transverse double viable if I'm 1m 85cm myself? Thanks for the observation on continental brands - is that primarily for build quality? Cheers!
It might be a bit tight if you like to stretch out in bed. I think you'd be best to try lying on one at a dealer or show.

We're a bit vintage, and the longitudinal twins are more about access and not disturbing each other on nocturnal visits to the bathroom. ;)

Continental versus British-built is a tricky one - and can be a potentially sensitive issue on here...

I guess much of it is subjective, but personally I prefer the general design, practicality and aesthetic of the finished product. Others who have chosen British vans will see it differently. ;) (y)

Last edited:

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Hello Folks, new to the forum and in the research/shopping around phase of joining this 'World of Fun'. Hope you can give me a couple of pointers.
Have done a few weeks of 'improvised motorhoming' - i.e. surviving in a SWB Renault Trafic with 2 gas burner stoves, sleeping bags, a 'shower-from-a-bag', etc, but that was mostly in benign Spanish summer temperatures.
Looking to do a lot more UK stuff, with better facilities, most likely 2-10 night duration - 6-10 'weekenders' per year and 1-2 of the 7-10 day excursions. 2 adults, 2 medium sized dogs, 2 pushbikes most of the time.
For storage/garaging I know a coachbuilt with a hefty rear compartment would likely be best, but I think the width saving on a van conversion may swing things as we'll do a decent amount of mileage on minor roads. The vehicle may occasionally need to double up as 'second car' or 'load carrier', so driveability (at least to out-of-town shops etc) would be a factor. Cost also comes into it. Happy to be buying second hand, hopefully sub-20,000 miles on the clock, seems to put us in £30k-£40k territory?
Currently assessing 6.00-6.40m van conversions. Is there notably better build quality from particular manufacturers/converters? Or are there any to steer clear of because of quality concerns? Have looked at dozens of video reviews online (most reviewers seem to praise just about everything they get their hands on) and visited the NEC show around this time last year. But that hasn't massively helped me narrow down particular manufacturers or models to focus the search on.
So.....watcha reckon? Thanks in advance for any help.
Sun Living V65 SL all day long!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back