Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Hi...am about to purchase a 125cc scooter which I can ride legally with L plates but not two up....question is can I ride it two up in Europe with a passenger or is it different for each country...from what I’ve seen you seem to be able to ride 3 up in places like Greece...what about France, Spain,Italy etc. Obviously I could take my motorcycle rest but would rather leave that to later as dying to get away on a trip ?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
With Coronavirus prevelant in Europe be careful what you wish for as in your last statement :eek:
As far as scooters go I have a 110 cc Honda vision and used it all around Europe with no problem
But I do have a full bike license and obviously insurance but have never had any hassle so far,

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
No idea about 'over there' as I only ride solo but check your insurance cover. Many policies will exclude carrying a pillion anywhere, especially since you are on 'L' plates.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Starting to wonder if this scooter thing is worth it....perhaps I’ll just do two e-bikes ?
Get your full licence!
Electric bicycles are the precursor to a mobility scooter. ;)

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I’ve got the same dilemma... ebikes or a scooter, although I do have a full motorcycle licence.
Thing is, a scooter is half the price of 2 ebikes, and probably worth more money if you want to sell them, but it’s also heavier. Don’t need to find somewhere to plug in the scooter to charge it, which could be a problem for the bikes on french Aires.
May also cost more to insure 2 ebikes against theft than it would to insure a scooter
Pros and cons for both really.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Talking to Brit who had a 3 wheel (front) scooter, he said you can ride it (2 up) on a car licence, something about the distance between the 2 front wheels means you do not not need a bike licence. I personally have not checked this

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Certainly in Italy you will not be legal. You are required to carry your insurance here so with a provisional licence and a passenger you wont be insured.
I would have thought it would be the same elsewhere.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I wonder how many countries have different laws on mopeds i seem to recall in France theres a very low age limit and no licence. I always fancied trundling along on one of those French things with the engine that sits on the front wheel (I think a velocette)

Sorry to the bikers velosolex!!!

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Talking to Brit who had a 3 wheel (front) scooter, he said you can ride it (2 up) on a car licence, something about the distance between the 2 front wheels means you do not not need a bike licence. I personally have not checked this
That's quite true. It's the Piaggio MP3 and Fuoco 3 wheelers. They are very heavy to move about. My son has one which he trailers all around Europe. His wife won't ride pillion on his Kawasaki.
CIMG0020.JPG

Trailer 2.jpg

You can get more compact trailers.......here's a 3 wheeler on one that I saw in France

2016-05-06 France May 2016 003.JPG

2016-05-08 France May 2016 003.JPG

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
AFAIK you drive in Europe what you can in the UK. L Plates not allowed.

Those 3 wheelers appear to your answer as far as licences go.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Without knowing factually, I am as certain as certain can be that you would be riding illegally with a pillion and no L plates, therefore riding without insurance, not accordance with licence etc. Similar laws in all EU countries.
If you were to do it the chances of being stopped are minimal. I ve been stopped once in 4 years on a scooter "out there". I was doing 70MPH with wife down a hill, farting, with the wind behind us and unfortunately overtook an unmarked gendarme near Mont st Michel. They were only interested in seeing what i had adjusted as they thought the suzuki address was a 50 cc. Luckily convinced them in french it was 110. I also didnt have my V5 and insurance on me. I now carry a photo of them on my phone. Hopefully this will suffice if i am stopped again.

Getting your licence isnt as bad as you think, quite easy but there is a cost. Worth it in the long run, especially if you can afford the weight on the van and far better than e bikes (imho) and easier and quicker to put into a garage than 2 bikes onto the back. We have gone out for 100 mile journeys for the day on ours, up mountains and balcony roads, easy parking. Double top box required for picnic stuff, easy to get into the major towns if you want.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I was intrigued with the Piaggio so just looked up the price. £7,800 for a new basic one. Wow.
Suzuki address 110 just over £2K

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Hi...am about to purchase a 125cc scooter which I can ride legally with L plates but not two up....question is can I ride it two up in Europe with a passenger

Simple answer is no for both pillion and yourself! You need the full licence for the class of bike you are riding, no if's or but's if you want to ride legally. CBT is meaningless outside of the UK Both my wife and I have full licences, it's not to difficult and well worth doing. :giggle: , oh and we were both 60+ when we started to ride.

Mick

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi...am about to purchase a 125cc scooter which I can ride legally with L plates but not two up....question is can I ride it two up in Europe with a passenger or is it different for each country...from what I’ve seen you seem to be able to ride 3 up in places like Greece...what about France, Spain,Italy etc. Obviously I could take my motorcycle rest but would rather leave that to later as dying to get away on a trip ?
'L' plates do not exist here nor is it legal for a UK rider to use them . Here anyone with a spanish licence including foreigners who have exchanged can ride up to 125cc on their car licence but it is not legal on a foreign licence.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Get your full licence!
Electric bicycles are the precursor to a mobility scooter. ;)

I will have you know that you are wrong :winky:
Two years ago I was on a mobility scooter from last year I am riding an electric bicycle.
There are those of us who have ridden mopeds, motorcycles, all types of bicycles and mobility scooters
Some unfortunately are not able to recover and ride any sort of two wheeled transport

I do agree that you NEED a full licence

AND for most foreign countries you need to have held it for 12 months as a foreigner otherwise you must obey all their road laws even if the locals don't

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As I understand it only full licence, bike or car, holders can use the roads of Europe.
This of course only applies to foreigners.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I will have you know that you are wrong :winky:
Two years ago I was on a mobility scooter from last year I am riding an electric bicycle.
There are those of us who have ridden mopeds, motorcycles, all types of bicycles and mobility scooters
Some unfortunately are not able to recover and ride any sort of two wheeled transport
As I appreciate. It was just a josh :giggle: I can't ride a bicycle at all since ten years ago I lost the use of my right arm and hand in a m/bike crash but still manage to tour with my two adapted m/bikes, car and m/home.
I can't ride a bicycle because with no tank to grip with my knees when braking my one arm braces on the left end of the 'bars which turn to the right and I fall off. Done that a few times when practising. :rolleyes:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It depends on the bike, spacing on the front wheels determines if you car drive it on a car licence, some you can some you can't.

You can't drive any vehicle in another country without a full licence.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Could be wrong but I believe a learner driving in the U.K. can carry a passenger as long as the passenger has a full bike license ?

Nov 25, 2019
Dartmouth
Funster No
MH
1990 swift kon tiki
Exp
I,m a newbie
I was always told I could ride a 125 in europe done my cbt anyway an had full car licence since 1985 aswell though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back