Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Well I’m fed up with all these rules...I’m getting a scooter, got an ebike (over 250 watt !), got a MH with a garage...they’re going in there...and I’m riding them in Europe...end of....I will just have a contingency fund for on the spot fines !

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Might ride without a helmet as well !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Could be wrong but I believe a learner driving in the U.K. can carry a passenger as long as the passenger has a full bike license

Wrong! From the Highway Code:

You MUST NOT carry a pillion passenger or pull a trailer until you have passed your test. Also see Rule 253 covering vehicles prohibited from motorways.

Mick

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Road legal in all countries providing the motor is 250 watt or under.
Perhap you might like to come for an eMTB ride with us sometime, you might change your view on them...
I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the above refers to over-250w MTBs. Which do appear to have an element of fun. :smiley:

Jun 11, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE
Exp
How about following the example of this very brave family :giggle:

1583396735148.png

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Wrong! From the Highway Code:

You MUST NOT carry a pillion passenger or pull a trailer until you have passed your test. Also see Rule 253 covering vehicles prohibited from motorways.

Mick

I did say I COULD be wrong ? ,Times do change , BUT in 1977 the traffic police officer that I spoke to told me I could carry a passenger as long as they had a full motorcycle licence & I occasionally drove about with my dad on the back ? , perhaps he was wrong

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
I did say I COULD be wrong ? ,Times do change , BUT in 1977 the traffic police officer that I spoke to told me I could carry a passenger as long as they had a full motorcycle licence & I occasionally drove about with my dad on the back ? , perhaps he was wrong
I’ll use this in my defence

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010

That was definitely the case when I passed my bike test 32 years ago.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well I’m fed up with all these rules...I’m getting a scooter, got an ebike (over 250 watt !), got a MH with a garage...they’re going in there...and I’m riding them in Europe...end of....I will just have a contingency fund for on the spot fines !
Perfectly legal providing you register it and it is insured. Only one problem DVLA don't have a clue how to register one, no problem registering them in other countries.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Perfectly legal providing you register it and it is insured. Only one problem DVLA don't have a clue how to register one, no problem registering them in other countries.
Lol...I don’t care.....just gonna use them and suffer the consequences.....too many rules and regulations for me these days....I preferred the 60’s...no seat belts, no helmets, no speed limits, park where you want, no speed cameras, no bus lanes, no on the spot fines, and beer was much cheaper....

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Lol...I don’t care.....just gonna use them and suffer the consequences.....too many rules and regulations for me these days....I preferred the 60’s...no seat belts, no helmets, no speed limits, park where you want, no speed cameras, no bus lanes, no on the spot fines, and beer was much cheaper....
Get your arse down to Sicily.
All of that still applies now. :rofl:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well you do like breaking the law its about time you stopped complaining about the fines you keep getting they are self inflicted.

On a more serious note if you were to have an accident and seriously injure someone you could be sued for millions or even thrown in the clink.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Well you do like breaking the law its about time you stopped complaining about the fines you keep getting they are self inflicted.

On a more serious note if you were to have an accident and seriously injure someone you could be sued for millions or even thrown in the clink.
Well free accommodation and food wouldn’t go amiss....and no Council Tax...

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
correct. How does your wife feel about taking her bike test?
Not my wife...got rid of her long ago ?...girlfriend....hope she doesn’t look into it....don’t think I fancy riding shot gun having seen how she drives....hope she doesn’t read this ?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

Providing you have a big wallet and it's not impounded you will be fine. ? Bob.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
“Should we have let the rider dismount before we crushed that illegal scooter?”:giggle:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Not my wife...got rid of her long ago ?...girlfriend....hope she doesn’t look into it....don’t think I fancy riding shot gun having seen how she drives....hope she doesn’t read this ?
Shes only got to be on the back.

Seriously though, We carry a 300cc Scooter plus electric bike plus an ordinary one for me. My wife loves cycling but only on cyclepaths or quiet roads, anything busy and we use the scooter, or if I fancy a play.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Yes...which would bring me back to axle weights.....(loading the MH up now if it would just stop raining for 5 minutes) in order to take it to a weigh station...after getting it through an MOT and giving it a service (could be a problem as hand brake very weak and can’t get bonnet open ?). Then get my UK plates from DVLA of course and THEN getting a motorcycle license.....AND buying a scooter....starting to think I should have started this process much earlier....would rather be heading off to Spain for a bit of sun....

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the above refers to over-250w MTBs. Which do appear to have an element of fun. :smiley:

FUN? Who mentioned FUN? We both ride eMTBs all over Europe, they are restricted to 25kph, normally can manage that uphill, don't ask the downhill speed, that's fear dependent....

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes...which would bring me back to axle weights.....(loading the MH up now if it would just stop raining for 5 minutes) in order to take it to a weigh station...after getting it through an MOT and giving it a service (could be a problem as hand brake very weak and can’t get bonnet open ?). Then get my UK plates from DVLA of course and THEN getting a motorcycle license.....AND buying a scooter....starting to think I should have started this process much earlier....would rather be heading off to Spain for a bit of sun....
You do realise you will not be allowed on a scooter on public roads even with L plates until you have passed your theory test don't you?

Yes you should have started it all earlier. But you can't change that, so stop trying to run before you have even walked. Just go this time with your ebikes, even if you will both be breaking the law. See how it goes and then learn for the next time. And that is the beauty of having a motorhome ..... there will be lots of next times.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
quick question i dont have a m/cycle licence but i can ride a 50 cc scooter in the uk does this still apply in the eu

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back