Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Don't you mean over.
Don’t know why I put under 440 when it's over. The scooter must also have a foot operated brake.
This also might be useful, it's taken from the GOV website.
Motor tricycles
If you hold category B1 entitlement (trikes and quads), when you renew or replace your licence after 19 January 2013 it will show categories B1 and A. The A entitlement will be limited to tricycles and you will not be able to ride motorbikes you were not previously allowed to.

Provisional licences now only cover you to ride motor tricycles if you have a physical disability. Driving tests for 3-wheeled vehicles are only available for physically disabled drivers.
Non-disabled drivers who want to ride motor tricycles need to pass CBT and the theory and practical tests on a 2-wheeled motorbike.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Also
Licences issued before 19 January 2013
If you held a motorcycle or moped licence before 19 January 2013 then you’ll keep your existing entitlements and can still ride the same kind of bikes as you did before.
However, if you get a new licence your entitlements may be shown differently.
You’ll have to follow the new rules if you want to get higher entitlements - eg ride a larger motorbike.
Mopeds
Changes to moped categories
If you’re already licensed to ride a moped your driving licence will show as category P.
The new rules will not affect you, but any new licences issued to you will show categories AM and Q, as well as category P. This means you will also be allowed to ride 2 or 3-wheeled mopeds with a top speed of 50 km/h.
Car driving test passed before 1 February 2001
You do not need to take compulsory basic training (CBT) to ride a moped if you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001. You’ll still need to complete CBT to ride a motorbike, however.
Car driving test passed on or after 1 February 2001
You need to take CBT to ride a moped if you passed your car driving test on or after 1 February 2001.
However, you will not need to take further theory and practical tests or take CBT again.
Motorcycles
If you’re already licensed to ride a motorcycle, your licence should show category A. This will be the same if you renew or replace your licence after 19 January 2013.l

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
You do realise you will not be allowed on a scooter on public roads even with L plates until you have passed your theory test don't you?

Yes you should have started it all earlier. But you can't change that, so stop trying to run before you have even walked. Just go this time with your ebikes, even if you will both be breaking the law. See how it goes and then learn for the next time. And that is the beauty of having a motorhome ..... there will be lots of next times.
I would do but only got one ebike and don’t want to buy another ebike....which cost as much as...if not more than a scooter if my going forward plan is for a scooter....plus I’ve been walking (literally) for 20 years whilst motorhoming in my Hymer B544 as it didn’t have a garage and even if I’d put it on the back I couldn’t have loaded all the kids onto it...unless I was in India maybe. But NOW kids have flown the nest so it’s time to run with just two of us....but will have to hang around for goodness knows how long faffing about getting a motor cycle license just as weather is picking up in Europe ☹️....it’s just not fair !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
quick question i dont have a m/cycle licence but i can ride a 50 cc scooter in the uk does this still apply in the eu
Only if you ride it on the left hand side of the road

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
I took my c
Also
Licences issued before 19 January 2013
If you held a motorcycle or moped licence before 19 January 2013 then you’ll keep your existing entitlements and can still ride the same kind of bikes as you did before.
However, if you get a new licence your entitlements may be shown differently.
You’ll have to follow the new rules if you want to get higher entitlements - eg ride a larger motorbike.
Mopeds
Changes to moped categories
If you’re already licensed to ride a moped your driving licence will show as category P.
The new rules will not affect you, but any new licences issued to you will show categories AM and Q, as well as category P. This means you will also be allowed to ride 2 or 3-wheeled mopeds with a top speed of 50 km/h.
Car driving test passed before 1 February 2001
You do not need to take compulsory basic training (CBT) to ride a moped if you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001. You’ll still need to complete CBT to ride a motorbike, however.
Car driving test passed on or after 1 February 2001
You need to take CBT to ride a moped if you passed your car driving test on or after 1 February 2001.
However, you will not need to take further theory and practical tests or take CBT again.
Motorcycles
If you’re already licensed to ride a motorcycle, your licence should show category A. This will be the same if you renew or replace your licence after 19 January 2013.l
I took my cycling proficiency test many years ago plus my 50 meters breast stroke (and have a badge to prove it) ...would that help ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would do but only got one ebike and don’t want to buy another ebike....which cost as much as...if not more than a scooter if my going forward plan is for a scooter....plus I’ve been walking (literally) for 20 years whilst motorhoming in my Hymer B544 as it didn’t have a garage and even if I’d put it on the back I couldn’t have loaded all the kids onto it...unless I was in India maybe. But NOW kids have flown the nest so it’s time to run with just two of us....but will have to hang around for goodness knows how long faffing about getting a motor cycle license just as weather is picking up in Europe ☹....it’s just not fair !
Look at it this way staying at home you can save all that money you would have spent on European fines. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Are you by any chance related to either 596 or Wild Brambles? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Do people pinch e bikes more than scooters and ordinary bikes ?

Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
Talking to Brit who had a 3 wheel (front) scooter, he said you can ride it (2 up) on a car licence, something about the distance between the 2 front wheels means you do not not need a bike licence. I personally have not checked this
Yes, looks like you can ride one of these on a car licence: https://www.eta.co.uk/2013/08/18/the-piaggio-motorcycle-you-can-drive-on-a-car-licence/

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Your CBT lasts for two years and if you do not pass a bike test in that time you lose the entitlement to ride a motorcycle up to 15bhp (or about 125cc) in laymans terms for the next 12 months, in effect you ban yourself from riding motorbikes,, the L plate does not exist for any UK licence in Europe you must have a full licence for the class of vehicle you are driving or make provision for swapping your UK licence for whatever EU country you are a resident in . The MP3 is legal on a car licence two up as are other three wheelers. there was also a provision for the weight of the vehicle as those of you old enough to remember the Reliant supervan ( a misnomer if there everwas!) Bond mini car etc which were under 8cwt (Hundredweight) could be driven on a provisional motorcycle licence but this was withdrawn in 1982 with the introduction of stricter tests. As as been said previously pass your test its not hard and there are various access route you can take depending on what you want to ride. It should cost around £400 for the basic package including equipment and bike hire over three days, shop around there are loads of training establishments with various packages if you can ride a pushbike, drive a car you should have no trouble passing your bike test

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Your CBT lasts for two years and if you do not pass a bike test in that time you lose the entitlement to ride a motorcycle up to 15bhp (or about 125cc) in laymans terms for the next 12 months, in effect you ban yourself from riding motorbikes,, the L plate does not exist for any UK licence in Europe you must have a full licence for the class of vehicle you are driving or make provision for swapping your UK licence for whatever EU country you are a resident in . The MP3 is legal on a car licence two up as are other three wheelers. there was also a provision for the weight of the vehicle as those of you old enough to remember the Reliant supervan ( a misnomer if there everwas!) Bond mini car etc which were under 8cwt (Hundredweight) could be driven on a provisional motorcycle licence but this was withdrawn in 1982 with the introduction of stricter tests. As as been said previously pass your test its not hard and there are various access route you can take depending on what you want to ride. It should cost around £400 for the basic package including equipment and bike hire over three days, shop around there are loads of training establishments with various packages if you can ride a pushbike, drive a car you should have no trouble passing your bike test
Thanks AC/DC....that’s very useful info....yes I remember the Bond...don’t think my garage is big enough though. I thought after 2 years you could just take the CBT again and get another two years.

With regards to the test I’m sure it’s easy enough...used to have a Yamaha FS1e (a fizzy) many years ago
and hire scooters when abroad sometimes so am quite OK with riding them. I looked at a course near me and
it was more in the £700 range whereas If I buy a scooter and just do it myself works out at £235. Trouble is will I pass if I do it that way....like the driving test there might be little things the instructor knows about to get you through the test like not crossing your hands over the steering wheel....obviously doesn’t apply to scooters but you know what I mean...would you recommend the independent cheap(er) route ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back