jane craig

Free Member
Feb 6, 2017
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hi, My partner and I are about to leave New Zealand to spend 6 months in uk and Europe. We will buy a motorhome when we get to London. I would be interested in learning from anyone with experience what are my first steps, should I join other clubs etc Love to haer from anyone Jane

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Great start! This is the only club you need. :D
And
animated WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
:hiya::WelcomeFlag:
WOW....lovely....time of year to be arriving in the UK. This is a brilliant forum with lot of information from very experienced motorhomers so you are bound to get lots of advice. We've jus collected our first motorhome having been caravaners for years. We bought ours locally having been deliberating about the advantages of one over the other for years. We knew the layout we wanted as we have beeen looking for about 4 years. Once you decide on the layout look on the net...London may not be the best place...but it might be....do lots of research.
One thing would be good would be if you could join ASCI...they are a Dutch company who have directories which cover most of Europe and you get a discount for using their sites 'out of season'....that is except July and August (season on this side of the world) and holidays (such as Easter and on the Continent Holydays)are usually more expensive. They also have app. maps which you can buy for each country they cost a couple of euros each but are very good as they are available off line. If you want to tour the UK then there is the Caravan Club they cost around £30-£40 per annum.....through them you have available lots of Caravan Club Listed Sites which are small sites with different facilities. They ususally allow 4 or 5 caravans/motorhomes on each site. ou can book with the CC without paying. The Caravan and Camping Club costs much the same and is an alternative with a similar set up except you have to pay up front when you book and sometimes you have to book more than one night.
There is also a free website called Archies who publish all the campsites in Europe but they are not vetted...so they could be grim or wonderful you find out when you get there.
There is Alan Rogers who has a list of vetted and usually very nice sites in the UK and Europe.
Have the best time and enjoy your motorhome.

OP
OP
J

jane craig

Free Member
Feb 6, 2017
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Wow great thank you, I will start looking .
We are intending to bring the campervan back to NZ when we finish , so we have a fairly good idea of what we need. Good advice about looking outside of London . Out cities tend to be cheaper , so we thought to start there .
Thanks for the caravan club news

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Pia

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Hello there.

Buy a SatNav that takes the POI files from this French website, which is the definitive guide to low cost (or free) motorhome parking around Europe:

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/recherche.php

Clicking on the country names gives you a mapped guide. The links in my signature tell you a bit more about aires camping-car in France, but the site above is definitely the mutt's nuts.

Can we swap places with you? 6 months without hearing the word 'Brexit' would be bliss, plus you're a fair old distance from Trump, and the location shots in Lord of the Rings looked fantastic. :)

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
.....oh and there is a website and app called Campercontact which lists all the free Aires in Europe

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We were in Nice last year and met a family of kiwis doing same as you.
Still in contact with them on FB. Can pass on their details over for you to contact them direct for all the hints etc.
Are you buying new/used because ebay/autotrader both private and trade will be on there

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
You need to speak to @kiwicoss a member on here who has been almost fulltiming for the last 5 years around Europe but is about to return to Kiwi land.
Start a conversation with him (see top right, click on "Inbox") I am sure he will have a lot of useful tips about insurance etc.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Join ACSI - get the book direct from publisher in Holland or from Vicarious Books in Folkestone. This gives good campsite discounts out of season - season is July-August. And welcome to UK motorhoming! I met some great Kiwis in a converted Ossie Landrover in Chile last year. Enjoy your European break!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back