Euro Tunnel- Pet Travel Scheme Update -if there is a ‘no deal’ Brexit. (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
My vet rang me back yesterday having said she would wait for further details. She said that it’s increasing likely whether we take the deal or no deal that we may need the blood test. She has found a cheaper lab so the cost is now just under £80. I’ve decided just to go and get it done. So fingers crossed he’s immune!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My vet rang me back yesterday having said she would wait for further details. She said that it’s increasing likely whether we take the deal or no deal that we may need the blood test. She has found a cheaper lab so the cost is now just under £80. I’ve decided just to go and get it done. So fingers crossed he’s immune!
It maybe cheaper, but is it on the DEFRA list of Approved Labs?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
It maybe cheaper, but is it on the DEFRA list of Approved Labs?

That was the whole issue in the early days of the PETS scheme, there was only 1 approved lab at first and it was chuffing expensive when we had ours done in 2005.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I got email from P&O, they referred me to the Gov site.
I won't be going again until the summer so it may be sorted by then !!!

pet.JPG

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Considering the UK is rabies free and we require the additional Worming treatment to return, I cannot realistically see us being a third country "Unlisted". Part 1 appears to be for EU countries, so I can see us on the Listed Part 2 list which will only require the "Health Certificate" in addition to the standard rabies up to date vaccination. We intend to travel abroad the second week of April for Easter Leave and I certainly hope I am right. If not, my dogs jabs are due in May and I will have to get the whole lot - Jabs and Blood test before I go away in Summer and Easter will be a UK tour instead. I'm certainly not going to get the Blood tests done "Just in case" not at those prices with 2 dogs.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Not to get into the Brexit discussion but did any of us think we would be getting into this sort of problems when we were making up our mind which way to vote. Cant help but think it all seemed very simplistic at the time, in or out and now look at us. I remember the days when we had 2 dogs and were one of the first to use the pet passport scheme. It involved the blood test we are discussing here and no passport as such, just two sheets of paper and a carbon copy sheet for the return to UK cert. and the 3 day waiting time. It will be a complete nightmare going back. My friend was chief vet with DEFRA for a number of years. He has no connection with DEFRA now but his personal opinion is nothing will change. Then again he was a leave campaigner :)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We had our dogs blood test done on Monday, for £116 and the vet understood what we wanted it for, waiting for the results now.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Our dog’s rabies booster is due in February and we will be going out before the 29th March just in case the proverbial has hit the fan. Even though we don’t need the blood for the return trip we will have it done anyway just to be totally safe.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We are planning on going out just before the 29th march. Currently not planning on having the blood tests done as we won't need them to enter Europe and will presumably only need the current pet passport to return. May have to rethink nearer the time. Hopefully the 'deal' will be accepted in some form or another.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
My dog was due for a booster in Feb but due to time scales now of jab then one month wait then clear blood test and three month wait then before travel and our vet stressed the point that don't be surprised if the blood results fail as he said we know that dogs never had cover but we accepted the risk but means we start again meaning another one month after another jab and blood test .

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Reading all these comments we're so glad we had everything done right from the start with our Westie, and also have an excellent vet who keeps us up-to-date and calls us in when anything is due.

So just for anyone with pets who are starting out in the motorhome world - get it all done now. Saves any worry and maybe heartache in the future. You know it makes sense!

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Well, two and a half weeks later, and our results still haven't come back :oops:. Our vet is chasing it up :sick:.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
if anyone's interested the chief veterinary officer ,DEFRA is giving evidence to the select committee now on channel 232 parliament channel.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Latest Info, from our vet

IMG_0018.jpg

Reactions: DBK
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I found the first line amusing, Brexit fast approaching.
We’ve had our dog blood test done and she passed, just in case it’s needed.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Weve also had ours 'blood tested'. What angers me is that the pet passport was perfectly valid one day, yet now might not be on the day after. How absurd! The pet passport is uk issued, registered and implemented so how can it become invalid because of a bureacratic decision. If its not safe or acceptable when the passport is valid then its not safe or acceptable even now !!!

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Nobby's also passed his blood test :). We had it done because we were intending to go to Morocco (which may now be in question), but we'd have had it done anyway - just to be sure that we would actually be able to bring him back into the country.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Weve also had ours 'blood tested'. What angers me is that the pet passport was perfectly valid one day, yet now might not be on the day after. How absurd! The pet passport is uk issued, registered and implemented so how can it become invalid because of a bureacratic decision. If its not safe or acceptable when the passport is valid then its not safe or acceptable even now !!!
The passeport for a pet is only valid because we are EU members its nothing to do with whether its safe or not. Look at how many years there was no pet travel to europe for it seems no good reason.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If this comes to pass, which seems likely, the cost will become prohibitive. Our pair may have set their last paws in France :(

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
The passeport for a pet is only valid because we are EU members its nothing to do with whether its safe or not. Look at how many years there was no pet travel to europe for it seems no good reason.

Its a UK scheme. You can travel throughout mainland europe freely with dogs as you could long before the EU. Its only needed to enter the UK.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
If this comes to pass, which seems likely, the cost will become prohibitive. Our pair may have set their last paws in France :(

Very sorry to hear that :(. I hope it works out better than we fear (y).

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
There was ALWAYS pet travel allowed into the UK for pets taken to or aquired in mainland europe. It just had a 6 month quarantine requirement. It was a valid reason. It was to prevent spread of rabies

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
There was ALWAYS pet travel allowed into the UK for pets taken to or aquired in mainland europe. It just had a 6 month quarantine requirement. It was a valid reason. It was to prevent spread of rabies
So you want to go back to that?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Its a UK scheme. You can travel throughout mainland europe freely with dogs as you could long before the EU. Its only needed to enter the UK.
The EU has its own rules about dogs entering it. It also has a list of countries not in the EU from which it allows dogs to enter without the blood test. Currently the UK isn't on that list of course because we are in the EU. When we leave the EU I am sure at some point they will put us on the list of "safe" countries, ideally the day after we leave but if this doesn't happen the blood test is required - and this has to be done 3 months or more from the date of planned entry into the EU.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Ok, I’ve read a lot of the excellent information on this thread but I’m still a little confused!

Charlie has had a passport for 9 years, but I missed his rabies vaccination in October. Does this mean that we are in a worse position than if I had had him vaccinated?

I’ve just spoken to my local Vet’s receptionist, who told me that I would need the rabies vaccination, then wait one month before blood test, then another 3 months before we could travel OUT of the Uk. We were hoping to go to Spain early March and return in May.

I thought we needed the passport to get back into the UK rather than get out!

Ginny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back