Euro Tunnel- Pet Travel Scheme Update -if there is a ‘no deal’ Brexit. (2 Viewers)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ok, I’ve read a lot of the excellent information on this thread but I’m still a little confused!

Charlie has had a passport for 9 years, but I missed his rabies vaccination in October. Does this mean that we are in a worse position than if I had had him vaccinated?

I’ve just spoken to my local Vet’s receptionist, who told me that I would need the rabies vaccination, then wait one month before blood test, then another 3 months before we could travel OUT of the Uk. We were hoping to go to Spain early March and return in May.

I thought we needed the passport to get back into the UK rather than get out!

Ginny
I would follow the vets advice but of course no-one knows what is going to happen. I suspect the pet travel scheme is well down the list of priorities as far as the gov. is concerned

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I would follow the vets advice but of course no-one knows what is going to happen. I suspect the pet travel scheme is well down the list of priorities as far as the gov. is concerned

To be honest she was a bit “flakey” I explained everything to her and she told me a passport would cost £76. I explained, again, that we had a passport. She then quoted £39.50 for rabies shot, I pointed out, again, that it was overdue and she left me on hold for over 6 minutes and then came back with the above info, so I thought - ask the experts on Motorhomefun!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
To be honest she was a bit “flakey” I explained everything to her and she told me a passport would cost £76. I explained, again, that we had a passport. She then quoted £39.50 for rabies shot, I pointed out, again, that it was overdue and she left me on hold for over 6 minutes and then came back with the above info, so I thought - ask the experts on Motorhomefun!
Sounds like chinese whispers!!!!. Why not e-mail the vet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
This is what I don't get, we take our cat away with us via Eurotunnel, the only time things get checked is when we return, never when we enter France.
This is because we are in the EU. EU to EU is no restriction and as said above it is only the UK that require Rabies and Wormers on return. When we leave, we will be entering the EU from the UK and will therefore need either rabies and blood test and Health Check or Rabies and Health Check.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
This is what I don't get, we take our cat away with us via Eurotunnel, the only time things get checked is when we return, never when we enter France.

Correct. Whilst we are a part of the EU there are no rules/conditions about crossing internal EU borders. However if you leave the EU, say to go to Morocco, you need to comply with the EU regulations about importing pets into the EU when returning - of which UK would still be part of course. That is when you require a current rabies jab with supporting titrate test and paperwork.

There are, I believe, 3 lists of countries with differing regulations concerning import of pets from. If we leave the EU without a deal the UK will become part of one of those lists, hopefully that of "safe" countries. However even with a deal, and I haven't read it fully on the subject of pets crossing borders, we still may have to have the rabies jab/test. So the answer is, for entry into the EU after March 29, from whatever direction, get your pets rabies jab & test done in time, bearing in mind it could take 3/4 months. If you have missed a booster jab, even by one day, you need to start again.

The UK regulations, requiring a Pet Passport, are only for entry/re-entry into UK so that is why you are checked coming into the UK.

But of course it's all a load of hot air anyway. We've never been as much as asked crossing into or out of Continental Europe including to/from Morocco. (We were asked, by a Customs man on entering Sweden, if we had a Pet Passport but didn't have to produce it). I hardly think much is going to change initially - the authorities are going to have much much more to deal with than the odd dog/cat/ferret. But we're timing our winter trip to be inside EU on March 29!

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
  1. Right, so if I get Charlie his rabies jab this week
  2. Wait a month for the blood test,
  3. If that is ok AND
  4. We leave UK before the middle of March
We should / could be OK? And we will be able to bring him back in May???

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
  1. Right, so if I get Charlie his rabies jab this week
  2. Wait a month for the blood test,
  3. If that is ok AND
  4. We leave UK before the middle of March
We should / could be OK? And we will be able to bring him back in May???

Yep, should be okay - as long as you've got the results of the test before you go. There'll be a lot of testing going on over the next few weeks and the labs are going to be busy, that's why I say could take 3/4 months. Only your vet can answer that.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We're planning on going before the end of March and coming back some time during May. We think we'll be OK. You'd be advised to get the test done asap. We waited almost four weeks for our results, plus there are the Christmas holidays to take into account.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We're planning on going before the end of March and coming back some time during May. We think we'll be OK. You'd be advised to get the test done asap. We waited almost four weeks for our results, plus there are the Christmas holidays to take into account.
So does the three months start from the date the blood sample was taken or the date of the result? I would have thought the former.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
@DBK Sorry, I don't know. It could even be the date on which the vet entered it on the passport, which was different from the two above. I'll try to get my vet to clarify that and let you know. She's away until after Xmas now.
We're not sure exactly when we will be leaving yet, but it will be prior to The Big Bang. By the time we return, we'll be well past the three months period, so we're counting on it being OK.
Of course, we may not even need it :unsure:.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ok, I’ve read a lot of the excellent information on this thread but I’m still a little confused!

Charlie has had a passport for 9 years, but I missed his rabies vaccination in October. Does this mean that we are in a worse position than if I had had him vaccinated?

I’ve just spoken to my local Vet’s receptionist, who told me that I would need the rabies vaccination, then wait one month before blood test, then another 3 months before we could travel OUT of the Uk. We were hoping to go to Spain early March and return in May.

Ginny
If you go out early Mar as indeed we plan to do then we will still be in the EU so no change. We plan to return in June when we may have left but then we will just be re-entering the UK so current passport should be fine. There will be many thousands in the same position.
As long as we leave with a deal the situation will not change for two years. If we crash out without a deal then who knows. Hopefully our government will not be so irresponsible.

Reactions: DBK

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Teasy dont think you need blood test if you leave early March, you only need to comply with current requirements. Your return to UK will be ok as we wont be changing our requirements.
Jim

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Teasy dont think you need blood test if you leave early March, you only need to comply with current requirements. Your return to UK will be ok as we wont be changing our requirements.
Jim

The problem is I forgot to have his rabies shot in October so it’s like starting again I suppose.

Ginny

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
The government is in a total mess vote was to leave the EU if government go for another vote they will look like total idiots with no regard to how the peoples vote went - like it or not - anything could happen - so taking dog abroad you have to work on worse case scenario ie no deal - if that happens problems with driving in EU will escalate anyway
( IDP, insurance ) i dont know - i have a ticket for the 28th march ferry back to uk - for £70 i can use the ticket or write it off but it has eliminated any problems i could have travelling with a dog - but i'd rather be safe than sorry and not bury my head in the sand and hope it all goes smoothly

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Just had a look at the 'Rabies Antibody Titration Test' page of the pet passport. The 'authorised veterinarian' has to enter the date on which the sample was collected, and the date on which he/she makes the entry in the passport. This probably indicates that the sample collection date is the one used for calculation of the three months.
It's also worth noting that not all vets are 'authorised veterinarians.' We use a large practice where only one vet is authorised.
We previously used another practice which made errors in the passport which could have resulted in our dog being refused travel, at the port. So, the moral of the story is 'Always double check what your vet has done.' ;)

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie

Ginny

I had my dogs blood taken yesterday and when asked how long for the result he said it could take a month or more to get results as the labs can't cope with the surge of people having to get blood tests . So if a dog fails first time you could be looking at 6 months or more process .

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just a thought has anyone checked their pet insurance? will it make any difference to that?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just a thought has anyone checked their pet insurance? will it make any difference to that?

We've got World Wide cover so not concerned, but it is a thought for others. Something else to worry about!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Update on our dog Charlie. :) He is technically in date as he is not due another rabies vaccination until next March so in theory he could take the blood test now. However, the vet advises there is a good chance he might fail, which makes sense as he was vaccinated nearly three years ago.

So he is booked in for a rabies vaccination tomorrow and 30 days later he will have the blood test - assuming things don't magically clear on the political front before then! This timetable should allow us to cross the Channel in May next year.

During the conversation with the vet today something @bellabee mentions above came up. The vet I spoke to isn't in tomorrow so another vet will give the vaccination but they are not authorised to countersign the pet passport. This will be done by the vet I spoke to the following day when he returns.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Update on our dog Charlie. :) He is technically in date as he is not due another rabies vaccination until next March so in theory he could take the blood test now. However, the vet advises there is a good chance he might fail, which makes sense as he was vaccinated nearly three years ago.

So he is booked in for a rabies vaccination tomorrow and 30 days later he will have the blood test - assuming things don't magically clear on the political front before then! This timetable should allow us to cross the Channel in May next year.
And the cost nationwide would be?????????????????

Reactions: DBK
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just looked it up 300,000 pets a year at say £200 each its a big bill ( my mate retired as a vet last year bet he's kicking himself!!!!!)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Just looked it up 300,000 pets a year at say £200 each its a big bill ( my mate retired as a vet last year bet he's kicking himself!!!!!)

Are you including in that the fees for getting a health certificate, each time, in the 10 days before you leave the country? :(

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
My dog is due his rabies vaccine in March as for some reason the vet only says it’s valid for 2 years! He was titre tested 3 weeks and I have just heard he is fine and has the antibodies- phew!!

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Quite funny all this they used to be called court jesters now they all congregate in the houses of parliament and better safe than sorry for us plebs anywayxroll:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Are you including in that the fees for getting a health certificate, each time, in the 10 days before you leave the country? :(
No just a lowish guess probably will cost a bit more but will vary vet to vet. Total must be £60 million at least in the first year.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
My dog is due his rabies vaccine in March as for some reason the vet only says it’s valid for 2 years! He was titre tested 3 weeks and I have just heard he is fine and has the antibodies- phew!!

I would question your vet as rabies vaccine lasts three years. I think they are just going for an easy income.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Interesting. I would like to know if you pay less to have your dog treated with a two year batch.

I have a customer who’s vet told him his dog needed it every year, which he was innocently going along with. Then someone pointed out his vet was taking the wee out of him. When questioned the vet then informed him he was doing it “just incase”. New vet was then found.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Interesting. I would like to know if you pay less to have your dog treated with a two year batch.

I have a customer who’s vet told him his dog needed it every year, which he was innocently going along with. Then someone pointed out his vet was taking the wee out of him. When questioned the vet then informed him he was doing it “just incase”. New vet was then found.

The vaccine is all the same. Just dated differently for the UK where it is only required every 3 years .Here it is a legal requirement that all cats,dogs,ferrets are done yearly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back