Emptying Grey Waste (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
Am I the only one here that gets very very very bored at the speed that the grey waste tank empties? Has anyone done a 'pumped' conversion on theirs?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Might well need some drain clear or similar through the system could be gunged up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Gravity should do the job, has it always been a problem .

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Gravity should do the job, has it always been a problem .
Its so slow. It can take 10 minutes to empty the tank as the bore is so small. Plus of course the drain cock is so near to the ground that it can get ripped off the van going over speed hump etc. Not exactly an elegant solution from Bailey

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Its so slow. It can take 10 minutes to empty the tank as the bore is so small. Plus of course the drain cock is so near to the ground that it can get ripped off the van going over speed hump etc. Not exactly an elegant solution from Bailey

I use a low level wheeled tank and run pipe in to it and leave valve open when pitched so when ready to leave tank will be empty , just wheel tote tank to tip out.

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I use a low level wheeled tank and run pipe in to it and leave valve open when pitched so when ready to leave tank will be empty , just wheel tote tank to tip out.
Seems a little overkill to carry a WasteMaster when you already have an onboard waste tank, but I take your point, it would certainly avoid holding up a queue of other MHs all waiting at the service point to dump their tanks.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Bet no one visits you. It stinks.

I have a low level tank on wheels but not as low as the drain pipe. When I tip the tank over 45 degrees to remove it from under the drain half of the stuff spills out. Means it’s not so heavy to tug to the service area :)

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Bet no one visits you. It stinks.

I have a low level tank on wheels but not as low as the drain pipe. When I tip the tank over 45 degrees to remove it from under the drain half of the stuff spills out. Means it’s not so heavy to tug to the service area :)
When I had a caravan and a Disco 4 tow car, I did once loop the WasteMaster handle over the tow hitch and tug it to the dump point.. now that's lazy :)

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Might need a colonoscopy (spelling ) I would try a drain cleaner before going mechanical

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ours just has a big hole underneath and a valve it gushes out pretty fast when you pull it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You could fit a 40mm Ultradrain the same as they fit on a lot of German vans, it shouldn't make it any lower if the bottom of the outlet is fitted at the same height as the present one.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Its the same diameter as convoluted pipe (28.5mm)
Thats surprised me? Thought it was bigger than that? Our neighbour has the same vehicle and he has a 50 mm outlet. What I dont know is if he has altered his because of the same reason you now have?:unsure:
30mm is a small bore realistically. It may be the issue you have rather than waste and build up of slurry etc.
Pump out is a possibility but a new pipe and tank cutter may be the cheapest way and most effective for you. Go 50mm and remove the old one and fit a new one. The glue that they use for PVC pipes and fittings would be best instead of sealed pipes . Cut out and refit a glue a new pipe and elbow in place . Job done!

kev

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We used to have the slow draining grey waste and our was down to the woefully small bore of the grey waste tap.
This is from the post of what I did to rectify the problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking forward to my next dump ........................................................... grey water that is.

Dumping our grey water has been a source of embarrassment on more then one occasion with other motorhomes queuing up, drumming their fingers waiting for the paltry flow from our grey waste to finish.
Spurred on by seeing what Tinker2 had done to speed up the exiting of his grey water, I have today removed forever the shame and embarrassment of slow flow.

I purchased from CAK Tanks a 28mm grey waste drain tap and a 28mm to 25mm pipe reducer.

The tap - https://leisurelines.net/28mm-grey-waste-water-drain-tap-valve-4303-p.asp and the reducer - https://leisurelines.net/28mm-grey-waste-push-fit-male-pipe---25mm-hose-adaptor-j-433-p.asp

A simple job on our Elddis Autoquest 175. Remover the offending original grey waste drain tap, remover the rubber grommet on the tap mounting bracket.
The new tap is a nice tight fit into the mounting bracket and I used a jubilee clip to secure it in place, reconnect the hose from the grey tank and job done.
I can now soak ever bodies shoes at 20 paces. :LOL:

The old tap = 18mm inlet and 14mm outlet

New tap = 23mm inlet and 28mm outlet

Inlets

grey-tap1.jpg

Outlets

grey-tap2.jpg

I nibbles a bit out of the mounting bracket to help lock the tap outlet to the bracket.

grey-tap4.jpg

grey-tap3.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Perhaps I'll shove a brush up it.. but its been rubbish since new.

Mine was ridiculously slow once, (even more than normal). It transpired that there was straw up it where a little mouse from the storage farm was thinking about making a nest. :(

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Mine was ridiculously slow once, (even more than normal). It transpired that there was straw up it where a little mouse from the storage farm was thinking about making a nest. :(
You don't want to get straw up it, it's very scratchy is straw, Very scratchy. :rofl: :rofl:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Am I the only one here that gets very very very bored at the speed that the grey waste tank empties? Has anyone done a 'pumped' conversion on theirs?
Buy a better motorhome!! ::bigsmile:

Our 100litre waste tank has a 40mm diameter outlet and empties in a minute or so at most. Mind you, you have to stand well to one side to make sure you don't get soaked.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Seems a little overkill to carry a WasteMaster when you already have an onboard waste tank, but I take your point, it would certainly avoid holding up a queue of other MHs all waiting at the service point to dump their tanks.

I carry a Fiamma wheeled waste tank as not often possible to get mhome to dump point.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back