Emptying Grey Waste (1 Viewer)

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Paul, we had an 2013 Autograph 740 and I fully sympathise. They may have changed the design since then, but we found that if you line the tap up correctly you can pull the tap unit off (making sure the waste tank is empty, first, of course!). Then looking up the waste pipe on ours, there was an insert which blanked off half the diameter of the waste pipe. This insert was easy to pull out, and the result was a larger pipe - still pretty slow to drain, but no longer quite as embarrassingly glacial.
This mod was quite widely discussed at the time, so the fact it apparently no longer is may suggest Bailey have found other ways to make the waste system so painful! I seem to recall someone suggested the insert may have had a purpose - I can only say we never had any problem arising from it’s removal.
Sorry I can’t remember the full details but it was some time ago.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Hi Paul Wilkins we have the 79-6 and love everything about it other than the grey waste, we don't have any worries about how low the outlet is I did rotate the outlet through 90 degrees which helped a bit (this didn't have any detrimental effect on the already poor rate of emptying) but do get bored waiting for it to empty.

Am thinking of getting under the van to see if there is anything I can do to improve it and will let you know if I come up with anything that works, though it may have to wait for a weekend where we are not away in it and its not a grand prix weekend.

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Seems a little overkill to carry a WasteMaster when you already have an onboard waste tank, but I take your point, it would certainly avoid holding up a queue of other MHs all waiting at the service point to dump their tanks.

We must use a lot of water as our tank needs emptying constantly and not going to move the motorhome everytime

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
The outlet is suitable on site where you are connecting to a drain (super pitch) or to decant the contents to a Wastemaster. If I was to be frequenting Aires in France I would probably try and arrange a mechanically operated dump valve cut into the tank such as is used on American RVs. I notice there is provision on the other side of the tank for another outlet (not drilled or threaded) and have wondered whether these could be combined into one larger outlet but this would involve dropping the tank. More work than the dump valve idea that could probably be accessed from the existing drain tank access hatch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
Well here she is Ladies & Gentlemen, boys & girls... the Gulper 320. 20 litres/minute, self-priming and a 10m head. Should be enough to spray the grey waste over the nearest hedge.
When the weather gets a bit drier I'll get under the bus and get the project underway. I may even include a remote 'wireless' switch to activate the pump from 100m away, just for shts and giggles.

IMG_4769.jpeg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thats still 5 minutes to empty 100 litre tank, OK if you want to empty uphill I guess ;)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Its so slow. It can take 10 minutes to empty the tank as the bore is so small. Plus of course the drain cock is so near to the ground that it can get ripped off the van going over speed hump etc. Not exactly an elegant solution from Bailey
Just open it before you drive off so its empty by the time you arrive!

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
The outlet is suitable on site where you are connecting to a drain (super pitch) or to decant the contents to a Wastemaster. If I was to be frequenting Aires in France I would probably try and arrange a mechanically operated dump valve cut into the tank such as is used on American RVs. I notice there is provision on the other side of the tank for another outlet (not drilled or threaded) and have wondered whether these could be combined into one larger outlet but this would involve dropping the tank. More work than the dump valve idea that could probably be accessed from the existing drain tank access hatch.
i have done this on an autograph 740! You do NOT need to drop the tank, access to the blank is easy, glue in the new outlet and run pipe back on itself via a U connetor mzde from two 90 degree connectors. I took mine via a T connector to both sides of the van so i could empfy two taps so double the volume and either side of the van so it didnt matter which side the drain is!
big improvement that i intend repeating on.my new 2021 74-2!

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
When will Bailey learn their building MH not caravans cant believe their still using this system .

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
As you can see, its a pretty rudimentary set up. Small bore pipe which hardly has any any 'drop' on it at all. As wuzzlewood mentions, there is a second drain point on the opposite corner at the front which could be accessed.

Good game, good game.

IMG_4783.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back