Emptying cassette toilet when not on site? (1 Viewer)

Jason Scott

Free Member
Apr 2, 2018
Funster No
Unfortunately we had to leave France after only 4 nights because our daughter was ill and I didn't get a chance to empty the cassette toilet before getting home. What are my options? For one time only can I empty in our indoor toilet?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
have a word with your local water company they do sometimes do organized visits to sewage plants or water works . very interesting and you can ask them allsorts of questions

hmm..having worked on them I'd advise against that invitation ..

mind you they do have some great wild tomatoes growing :LOL:

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm guessing here.. but it isn't a licence site or CL .. ?

in any case, they should provide black waste facilty.. so yes ask where you should dump it, don't assume..

We were on a farm 'site' in Cornwall that only had a deep drench, (it was about 6ft deep, dug with a JCD no doubt,) for black waste.. after dumping you were instructed to shovel some earth on top..
There’s no way we should be dumping any black waste in a trench, unless it’s by the “pure” delivery method and doesn’t have any chemicals in it.

Maybe the farmer doesn’t think that it’ll soak away into a water source or maybe he just doesn’t care, but I would.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There’s no way we should be dumping any black waste in a trench, unless it’s by the “pure” delivery method and doesn’t have any chemicals in it.

Maybe the farmer doesn’t think that it’ll soak away into a water source or maybe he just doesn’t care, but I would.

to be honest, I absolutely no idea.. I didn't question him.. in fact seldom saw him..

this was during the 70s and 80s , last time we were there was around 1992.

it was a bit of wild headland on the Roseland Peninsula, near Portscatho, undeveloped and only used by very few campers who preferred basic facilities.. ie none, water had to be collected form the village public tap.

but fear not, he has since died and the farm sold to a developer for a caravan site and no doubt the big trench was backfilled.

If I recall correctly it was in the second field back from the road

as it is today https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...c0bc347c1b!8m2!3d50.1794329!4d-4.975047?hl=en

Edit ..just found a pic when we were there for the last time..

9th July 1992

B0003179.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our cassette gets emptied down our outside loo when we get home.

The house was built in the 70's and has separate surface/foul water systems. Some years ago the water company were going along all the properties along the street testing as it seems someone was putting foul into the surface system - tested by putting a dye (different colour for each house!) down the loo and lifting the surface drain cover to check. I honestly have no idea where the surface water drains to though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Update while I sit in padstein drinking a pint of Cornish Mayday.....
Out the back of the plywood ****house was a "drain cover" was told to pour it in there. Looked like a septic tank to me. So no trenches in fields were harmed in the processing of my pooh

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
,its quite a complicated life in waste management . but interesting .

I once considered a career in chemical engineering (the sewerage side) but I was told by the careers advisor that it wasn't a suitable career for a woman :(

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Last month we were on a C&CC ths with 130 units for a week ... the Elsan dump was a trench about a metre deep in the corner of the field and no flushing water supply so just use grey waste water..... after the week it was :eek::eek::eek:

At home I have fitted a Y piece with a screw cap into a stack pipe.

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
It was suitably hosed out down my manhole at home... which is definitly a pooh pipe!
Re chem'd and refitted for the next outing..
No idea where to go next mind

Upvote 0

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Ok
If you have elsan fluid in it
You can tip it down toilets or manholes that go into the mains sewage system. The blue can stain porcelain.
Do not tip Elsan fluid into septic tanks the chemical kills the bacteria that make a septic tank work.
Instead of using Elsan fluid try using brewers yeast tablets in the bottom waste tank of your motorhome toilet
You can then tip the waste down any main drain or toilet even into a septic tank

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
2 Years
I use an elson fluid that is suitable for my septic tank, however, if no solid waste I empty onto my compost heap where it raises the nitrogen levels of the compost (so the guy who did some work in my garden told me). This seems to work for the plants but I do not grow anything I plan to eat!

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
You wouldn't adam and eve it, but I've come in to work today and guess what I'm making.... parts for a sewage treatment works.. hopefully I dont have to go on site to fit it.:D2

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
You could always do what I saw a guy doing on the main A589 coming out of Morecambe a couple of weeks ago. He was stopped in heavy traffic, pouring his cassette down a road drain!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back