Emptying cassette toilet when not on site? (1 Viewer)

Jason Scott

Free Member
Apr 2, 2018
Funster No
Unfortunately we had to leave France after only 4 nights because our daughter was ill and I didn't get a chance to empty the cassette toilet before getting home. What are my options? For one time only can I empty in our indoor toilet?

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Yes but conditions apply. If you have used Elsan blue (or similar) then you cannot empty it into your home toilet if you have a septic tank. If mains sewage - no problem. Beware of splash-back - the blue stains.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Of course I do it every time we get back - but if you are on a septic tank like we are be careful if you have used nasty chemicals. I killed our tank once!

Hope daughter now fit and bouncing.

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We always empty at home when returning from a trip as we use it on the way home. We don’t use chemicals apart from the bio washing capsules. We are on mains drains.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It’s different in different parts of the country. Some areas make you have a soak away, some separate, and some all in one. Nothing in this country is uniform. Haha
Well down here building regs won’t let you put them both together and if you get caught putting black or any kind of waste in a surface water drain big fines are awaiting as you can pollute the aquifers as we are on chalk.(y)(y)(y)
I’ve spent all my working life in the building;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Some area's have a duel system and some do not ,it is more common to find duel systems than separate systems when it comes to drainage ,on separate systems it is quite common to put ,usually a gutter downpipe at the end of the foul system to help to keep it clean not technically to regulation but sensible.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
B
Some area's have a duel system and some do not ,it is more common to find duel systems than separate systems when it comes to drainage ,on separate systems it is quite common to put ,usually a gutter downpipe at the end of the foul system to help to keep it clean not technically to regulation but sensible.
I quite agree there are different regs for different areas water table specific and I was only pointing this out not spoiling for a fight or anything(y)(n)(n)

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Well down here building regs won’t let you put them both together and if you get caught putting black or any kind of waste in a surface water drain big fines are awaiting as you can pollute the aquifers as we are on chalk.(y)(y)(y)
I’ve spent all my working life in the building;)
We used to live where soak away was the thing, now here its the same drain.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Don't know why folks worry about the chemicals in the cassette, what about the bleach and other chemicals (drain unblockers etc) going down your toilet, shower and kitchen sink

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Ah, I see :) The down spouts from the guttering go into the same drain hole.
They may do, you would need to wait until it’s raining and see if there is water flowing through the manhole, then do a jobby in the loo run down to the manhole and look for a log floating by. If you see one you have a combined system, if you don’t you are looking in the wrong manhole.:LOL:

Upvote 0

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
When we bought this house in France a few months ago, at the signing the notaire told us that the drainage system was non-conformant as the surface water drained into the public foul sewer, and that we were required to change it within 12 months so that the surface water drained into a separate public surface water drain. He then informed us that there was no separate public surface water drain.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jason Scott

Jason Scott

Free Member
Apr 2, 2018
Funster No
Fab, thanks all. I was thinking the same re, bleach etc. No septic tank here, just standard toilet system.

Daughter seems to have turned a corner today and much better. Gutted we only got 4 nights in France but trying to cope with vomiting and cleaning whilst on camp was too much.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I wonder if they put combined systems in where the gardens are to small to have a soak away as they have to be a certain distance from the building.

Upvote 0

ogben88

Free Member
Jul 13, 2018
Funster No
I spent a good part of my life surveying sewerage systems for building mathematical models of entire catchments. There are basicaally three types of system.
Combined, where both storm and foul end up in the same pipe and go to the water reclamation works. These tend to be on older housing estates.
Separate where foul and storm go into separate pipes. The storm normally ends up in a ditch or river. Foul goes to the WRC. These tend to be on newer estates.
Partially separate where both systems exist but some roof drainage goes into the foul system, normally at the back of the property. Some seperate systems have become partially separate due to widespread abuse.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back