Emptying cassette toilet when not on site? (1 Viewer)

Jason Scott

Free Member
Apr 2, 2018
Funster No
Unfortunately we had to leave France after only 4 nights because our daughter was ill and I didn't get a chance to empty the cassette toilet before getting home. What are my options? For one time only can I empty in our indoor toilet?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
In Spain they sell Salfuman - used as a cleaner, it will take chrome off taps (it did on mine)

An expat used to take a bottle back to the UK (on the aircraft) to use there .............it's Hydrochloric Acid !!

Worried about what goes into our sewerage system?...............

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you live in the wilds of rural Suffolk like us you don't get the luxury of choosing whether your poo goes down the storm drain or the foul sewer.............we have neither.
Water from gutters goes into soakaways, very handy for refilling water butts in droughts like we just had. (y)
Foul is treated in our on-site Clargester treatment machine with the clean output going into the stream.
Advantage? Water rates of around £100 PA. (y):D:D

Richard.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
In Spain they sell Salfuman - used as a cleaner, it will take chrome off taps (it did on mine)
Ah. The old "Agua Fuerte" sold in every supermarket and ferretería. Used for everything from cleaning the toilet bowl, removing cal, cleaning the tiles, removing excess grout, cleaning the pool, etc etc. Comes in a squirty bottle. Neat Hyrodrochloric Acid. Thank goodness we don't have the UK yob culture over here...

Upvote 0

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Not only is our rainwater separate from our sewerage we get a discount from our water bill for proving it to Wessex Water.

I have put our black waste down the interceptor by lifting the cover, it’s very convenient as it’s next to the camper.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I maybe wrong, as is often the case, I think in a lot of areas separate systems were introduced around the 70’s.
Most houses pre this time are combined surface/fowl systems.
There are exceptions obviously.

Of course they have now introduced the surface water gathering system on new estates.
It looks a bit like a small lake.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I must have had a misguided career then with my 46 years in the building industry.

You might have been retired longer than you realise, legally on new builds they have been separated for many years, or should have been o_O based on my lesser 39 years in sewage treatment :giggle:

But to OP unless you live in a very small village your cassette even with string blue additive will do no harm

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We always empty at home when returning from a trip as we use it on the way home. We don’t use chemicals apart from the bio washing capsules. We are on mains drains.
Ditto.
Watch out if you use blue though, it stains.

Upvote 0

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
@Jason Scott - look out for public toilets and empty it in there or ask at garages or other places that have a customer toilet - I asked at a monastery in Crete a few months ago and they were happy for me to empty 2 cassette’s.

Another place is portable loos at beaches - I don’t use chemicals in my toilet either. :)

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
When we bought this house in France a few months ago, at the signing the notaire told us that the drainage system was non-conformant as the surface water drained into the public foul sewer, and that we were required to change it within 12 months so that the surface water drained into a separate public surface water drain. He then informed us that there was no separate public surface water drain.
Should not worry about it, we have a similar problem in france we have no sewer or fosse rain water runs on the land and we take black waste to the local aire point, the non fosse is inspected every 4 years and we are told we are non comliant pay the 145euro and all good for another 4 years

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Yes but conditions apply. If you have used Elsan blue (or similar) then you cannot empty it into your home toilet if you have a septic tank. If mains sewage - no problem. Beware of splash-back - the blue stains.
What ?
Where do you get your information from
It will be fine in a septic tank
Not 20 cassettes the same day but one every so often will do absolutely nothing.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Some area's have a duel system and some do not ,it is more common to find duel systems than separate systems when it comes to drainage ,on separate systems it is quite common to put ,usually a gutter downpipe at the end of the foul system to help to keep it clean not technically to regulation but sensible.
Not sensible at all as the huge volume of storm water just flushes the treatment plants out as they become overwhelmed very often.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I Use Aqua Kem Green .. makes it easier on the nose when emptying and more importantly it helps keep the cassette clean..

when I bought the caravan I bought the Thetford Fresh-Up kit as the cassette had been neglected by previous owner.. it was so bad that even caustic soda wouldn't remove the build up of limescale and brown crap.. I also fitted a SOG which keeps the washroom free from noxious odours.

Aqua Kem Green is a toilet fluid with biological action, is environmental conscious, can be emptied in a septic tank (Test ISO 11734).

Our ‘green’ products Aqua Kem Green and Aqua Rinse Plus (test ISO 11734) are absolutely safe to empty into a septic tank or small biological systems on camp sites. Our Toilet Care products satisfy the highest environmental standards: they are not only up-to-date with the latest developments but also ahead of legislation with regard to quality, safety and the environment. Thetford is the preferred Toilet Care brand for the environmentally conscious consumer. Our green products Aqua Kem Green and Aqua Rinse Plus (test ISO 11734) are absolutely safe to empty into a septic tank or small biological systems on camp sites.

On arrival home one of the first jobs is to empty the cassette into the toilet, then give it a good clean ready for the next trip.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Fab, thanks all. I was thinking the same re, bleach etc. No septic tank here, just standard toilet system.

Daughter seems to have turned a corner today and much better. Gutted we only got 4 nights in France but trying to cope with vomiting and cleaning whilst on camp was too much.
Forget all the about drains blah blah blah as you had the answer in the first reply, the rest is some Funsters doing their usual I know better than you routine.

I'm really pleased to hear the princess is much better and shame you had to come back early, but we'd have all done the same.

France will always be there.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
So glad your daughter is on the mend.

If you are on mains sewerage no problem in using your sewer system to get rid of the cassette contents (either down the loo or directly into the sewer via a manhole).

If you are on a septic tank or mini-treatment system and use a propitiatory cassette additive then check the bottle before disposing of cassette contents into your system.

Upvote 0

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Not correct surface water drains should be separate(y)(y)(y)
Niot correct...in Derbyshire our surface water, bath water and surface water all use the same pipe, which runs down the back of the houses in the street. They were built in 1953, so not that old.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Niot correct...in Derbyshire our surface water, bath water and surface water all use the same pipe, which runs down the back of the houses in the street. They were built in 1953, so not that old.
If you had read the whole thread you will see on post #12 that I explained why I had said that and continued to discuss(y)(y)

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
hmmm I wonder what the result of me asking if I can pour my cassette down a porta bog in the field I’m in..
basic site amenities is an understatement a plywood box with a polycarb roof and a genset growling away beside it is all you get here

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
hmmm I wonder what the result of me asking if I can pour my cassette down a porta bog in the field I’m in..
basic site amenities is an understatement a plywood box with a polycarb roof and a genset growling away beside it is all you get here
cant see anything wrong with puting it in a portaloo, they have blue in them anyway.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

I'm guessing here.. but it isn't a licence site or CL .. ?

in any case, they should provide black waste facilty.. so yes ask where you should dump it, don't assume..

We were on a farm 'site' in Cornwall that only had a deep drench, (it was about 6ft deep, dug with a JCD no doubt,) for black waste.. after dumping you were instructed to shovel some earth on top..

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I'm guessing here.. but it isn't a licence site or CL .. ?

in any case, they should provide black waste facilty.. so yes ask where you should dump it, don't assume..

We were on a farm 'site' in Cornwall that only had a deep drench, (it was about 6ft deep, dug with a JCD no doubt,) for black waste.. after dumping you were instructed to shovel some earth on top..
funny you should say that, it is a farm field in cornwall, only open in August........

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cant see anything wrong with puting it in a portaloo, they have blue in them anyway.
portaloo toilets get sucked up by tankers then taken to special places for the treatment of the waste . not normal sewage works .
well thats what happens here anyway.
there are only a few places in cornwall and devon that can take porta loo waste .
mind they do take other waste from way up north as well like blood or milk washings from milk factories ,its quite a complicated life in waste management . but interesting .
have a word with your local water company they do sometimes do organized visits to sewage plants or water works . very interesting and you can ask them allsorts of questions .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back