Embarking on Full-Time Van Life with Pets (1 Viewer)

Ads86

Free Member
Mar 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi everybody, nice to be here.

I'm Adam, married to Lizzi, looking to commit to full time van life between sept -dec 2024 with our dog Rufus and our cat Charlie.

We are yet to buy a van. We viewed one last week which was really nice, a Trigano Kentucky A class 3500kg which would save us upgrading our licence but for the life of me cannot find it the vans actual weight to give me an idea of possible payload potential. I'll keep looking

We plan on leaving the UK for 9 months and then returning for 2 months in the summer and 1 month over Christmas. We've got a work around the Schengen.

We both cannot wait for the freedom this life has to offer and all the free time I'll gain not having to watch Vanlife videos on YouTube for 6 hours a day šŸ˜¬ (I mostly likely will still spend hours doing this)

Any advice is most welcome.

OP
OP
Ads86

Ads86

Free Member
Mar 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Apart from the payload check out insurance if you plan to full time and the cover for overseas travel for extended periods.
Good luck with your plans.
We've had a quote through caravan guard who seem to be amenable to EU travel for long periods. Adrian flux we're a bit flip floppy about it when I asked, one day they would allow 6 months travel, then next day, on the same van, I was told they wouldn't cover us at all! šŸ¤”šŸ˜‚

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We've had a quote through caravan guard who seem to be amenable to EU travel for long periods. Adrian flux we're a bit flip floppy about it when I asked, one day they would allow 6 months travel, then next day, on the same van, I was told they wouldn't cover us at all! šŸ¤”šŸ˜‚
The big question is did you declare full time in the van.
There are currently only about two companies who cover this.
Also welcome w2f

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome!

We are yet to buy a van.
Beware of the many scams on the auction sites at 'too good to miss' prices and on other media. Never part with any money, not even a holding deposit, unless you've viewed the vehicle.

Have a read of this - written by our Leader Jim, and free to subscribers:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ads86

Ads86

Free Member
Mar 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Welcome!

Beware of the many scams on the auction sites at 'too good to miss' prices and on other media. Never part with any money, not even a holding deposit, unless you've viewed the vehicle.

Have a read of this - written by our Leader Jim, and free to subscribers:

Sound advice I like it.

That's a cracking link, thanks ever so much. Huge help

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Also welcome, you will come to realise I am the miserable old b.....on here but I think you have got a lot more to think about yet.
It's not as easy as you could be led to believe by watching YouTube.
But nevertheless keep asking the questions on here and you should be alright. (y)

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
We plan on leaving the UK for 9 months and then returning for 2 months in the summer and 1 month over Christmas. We've got a work around the Schengen.
Unclear of how your plan works in regard to post Brexit, relating to time in/out of Schengen?
You have A workaround or have TO work around Schengen.
UK Passport holders limited to 3 month in, then have to leave for 3 months.
Are you UK Passport holders but have Schengen work visas?
Other EU country passport holders?

Last edited:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Welcome to the mad house. Lots of grumby old gits on here. But will give you most of the information that you will need. We wish you the best.

OP
OP
Ads86

Ads86

Free Member
Mar 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Unclear of what you plan is relating to time in/out of Schengen?
UK Passport holders limited to 3 month in, then have to do 3 month Out Schengen.
Are you UK Passport but have Schengen work visa?
Other EU country passports?
Yes that's it, I have duel nationality.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Screenshot_2024-03-05-19-13-10-005_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OK but do you BOTH have dual nationality, if not then the UK passport holder will still be subject to Schengen rules I think.
Not when accompanying the EU passport holder, they enjoy the same rights as them.

Edited to add that only if they are married to each other.

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
OK but do you BOTH have dual nationality, if not then the UK passport holder will still be subject to Schengen rules I think.

As Adam and Lizzi are married, then if one of them holds an EU passport then the 90 day rule doesn't apply to either of them is my understanding.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I'd be worried about the cat buggering off. The dog will stay ;)
We were at RV park in New Orleans last month for Mardi Gras and there were several people travelling with cats.
1 was from UK, who like us had shipped there van over to US for a years road trip.
Basically all had the cats fitted with harness, not collar, and on long "lead" tethered inside the van.
Some leads were just loose lengths of cable others auto retracting.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Welcome To The Team GIF by MOODMAN

A class 3500kg full time van life.
Suspicious Mr Johnson GIF by ABC Network

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Welcome,

You've already done an amount of research and point out the weight issue.
Trying to find out the REAL available payload is beneficial before purchase.
At absolute best it won't have more than 550 kg and worst maybe 300 kgs.
Being full time may make you take more stuff (I don't know)
If it has extra solars and awnings and batteries this will eat into that as well as dog and cat food etc.
If the weight turns out to be an issue maybe a small trailer might carry some of the burden ?
There are a number of threads by Northernraider which are probably worth a read. He has varying amounts of dogs on his trips and goes off for quite a period which may be helpful to you.

Best of luck and welcome

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
May be an idea to calculate the payload you'll need first.

Weight Calc from another thread, not looked at it.

We've only had a motorhome 2 years but when looking very quickly realised 3,500 van was not possible for our
wish list, island bed being very high.
We have a 4,250kg, passed test pre 98 Swift Kon-Tiki and we're just starting month 11 of 12 touring the USA,
so "full time" of sorts.
Not sure we could have done it in a 3,500, we've run most of the time with full water + 40 litres in containers
as access it patchy boondocking as we have been mostly.
WIth only the 110amh lead acid I fitted a generator 50kg and then there is the 20 litres of diesel for the van and
petrol for the generator.
We definitely over packed clothing, laundromats are very common in USA so we could have brought half.
Had it weighed a month 2 - 4,000kgs
Details of loading in journal

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
We sold up almost 4 years ago and have been full-timing, 24/7, 365 ever since.

We have Irish passports so no issues with schengen.

Insurance, we have Full-timing cover with Comfort who were the best for us, unlimited mileage, no limitations on number of days overseas - still expensive but only them and Adrian Flux would quote as our van was over Ā£100k.

If staying in it during winter, I would suggest looking at vans that are fully winterised, double floors etc., which are typically European vans. Also make sure they have good heating. We have Alde system and find it exceptional.

Our van had almost 1000kg of payload, but we added full air, self levellers and tow bar which ate into this, so we increased van weight by 300kg to compensate for this. We have got close to the max van weight a couple of times as we are often overseas for 6 or 7 months at a time and need o carry different clothing, snow chains, tools, extra equipment like spare cassette, spare water pump, spare wheel etc, etc.

Hope some of this helps.

Happy travels and hope you enjoy full-timing as much as we do!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back