LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
As a precaution for a trip to Morocco, any recommendations for the above?

Ian

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That is not a voltage stabiliser, it is a protection device.
It will cut the mains off if the voltage is too high or too low also has surge suppression.
It's a good unit I use one but think of it as an addition to a voltage stabliliser.
A voltage stabiliser will keep the voltage stable over a varying input range, good if you want to run a fridge on EHU.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
In my experience over voltage is not the problem in Maroc, it’s more often found to be under voltage. We have bought a unit whilst in Maroc. From memory, there are lots sold in Zagora where the problem was particularly acute.
Cost was around ÂŁ50.

1702492854926.jpeg

Last edited:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
It’s basically a step-up transformer you require. The typical loads it will support are shown on the pic below.

1702493507415.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
its basically a step-up transformer you require

That will give a fixed ratio between input and output and won’t actually control within limits (i.e. the output voltage will vary in direct proportion to the input voltage) so won’t really provide what is required.

Ian

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
That will give a fixed ratio between input and output and won’t actually control within limits (i.e. the output voltage will vary in direct proportion to the input voltage) so won’t really provide what is required.

Ian
Well it kept our fridge going when needed. The alternative - moroccan gas did tend to soot up the burner and flue.
Or just carry a Honda genny or similar.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

Ian
It reduces the amps to improve the volts. A lot of frenchies use them. (y)
As said it's mainly for fridge use..keeps it running.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
It reduces the amps to improve the volts. A lot of frenchies use them. (y)
As said it's mainly for fridge use..keeps it running.

Voltage stabilisers, or transformers?

I must be forgetting how transformers work.🤔

Ian

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I think my mis use of the correct adjective is really immaterial. Lots of motor-homers were using them on the three occasions we've been over there.
The Moroccan grid system is fragmented, voltage levels fluctuate due to long transmission lines, and extreme weather changes.
I have no doubt things will have improved, but most of the generation and consumers are in the larger cities. Morocco has one the worlds leading electrified high speed rail links, between Tangier and Casablanca. However, the small rural towns and villages are at the end of the pecking order in the electricity market place.

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I think my mis use of the correct adjective is really immaterial. Lots of motor-homers were using them on the three occasions we've been over there.
The Moroccan grid system is fragmented, voltage levels fluctuate due to long transmission lines, and extreme weather changes.

I know, that’s why I’m asking for recommendations about them (voltage stabilisers, that is).

I know enough to know that a transformer won’t do the job, but others might not know that. 👍

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Swift 694
If you have a fridge especially a Dometic get a regulator 50quid as less likely IMHO to need a new fridge 2000quid.

We got a Kebo as our vmark stopped working a few days later and when took it back to
Mr Bricolage in Agadir found out that Mr B is a franchise and was told to go away ... Bricolage had a Kebo which is working well touch wood.

On the Agadir beachside campsite Atlantica (nearest to Agadir) there was a electronic repair guy who fixed it for about ÂŁ16

So now have two!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back