Ebike - how to lift on to bike carrier on motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Trekka

Free Member
Apr 28, 2018
Funster No
We've recently bought an ebike and a new motorhome with a rear bike carrier but we've since found it difficult to lift the bike onto the carrier (after getting a dodgey shoulder hedge cutting)! We've been searching the internet for ideas on ramps and lifts but we're struggling to find a solution.

Has anyone found any innovative ideas to help with this?

We've found other carriers that help lift the bike but they're quite expensive and require different fixings to our current Fiamma Carry Bike Pro rack. Also tow bar carriers require chassis extensions so none of these are ideal.

Other ideas (not bought or tested yet!) is a portable scissor jack lift for motorbikes??

Thanks to anyone who can help with this.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
A length of guttering zip tied to a stick for a bit of rigidity, throw it in the garage for storage?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Put onto rack one wheel at a time, starting with the front wheel, because it will swivel.

That'll be one guinea. :gum:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have recently replace our existing Fiamma bike rack with the Fiamma Carry-Bike 77 E-Bike as my shoulders were now giving me gip.

I wind it up and down with my cord-less drill.

Bought it from Johns Cross as the Funster 10% off knocks a fair bit off the price.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
some decent chord and a couple of pulleys from a chandlers will halve the effort needed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Block and tackle.... Or a mobile crane.

Only SuperMike come up with a sensible answer so far.
Why lift the whole bike on in one go.
I have a Thule towbar rack on my car when I need it and even though it's only about 12 inch from the road I still lift the front wheel first then swing the rear wheel over.
My battery is behind the seat post and rear hub drive so quite heavy but not difficult to do.
I appreciate a motorhome rack is considerably higher but if, when the front wheels in, a second person steadies the bike while the rear is lifted its do-able.

OP
OP
Trekka

Trekka

Free Member
Apr 28, 2018
Funster No
Thank you for the replies so far. The rack is 110cm high so one wheel at a time may be difficult unless we can reverse to a high bank or wall to reduce the height. We've considered the Fiamma Carry-Bike 77 E-Bike but unfortunately we'd need different fixings on the motorhome (so more holes made which isn't ideal). Thanks for suggesting Johns Cross who we've not heard of before. We've thought of using pulleys but we couldn't think what to attach them to when away from home, excuse my ignorance but what is a chandler? Please keep the comments coming - we keep thinking there must be a way! We've tried making ramps but we've not been very successful so far :)

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Chandler is a boat accessories shop. Often attached to marinas or boatyards.

Even with battery removed e-bikes remain too heavy for one person to lift above a couple of feet, not helped by the physical size of frames. Even two people will struggle. A different rear mounted carrier might work, if you accept changes of fixings, but check the van rear can take the added weight. It’s why towbar carriers are best for the larger loads.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Oh, thank you Uncle PPJ, I'm all overcome with emulsion.
My carrier is about 150 cm..Either struggle on my own using motorhome step or grab my better half and she helps..my bike about 23 kg but hers is much lighter.. Carrier was higher but have lowered it 6 ins this year.BUSBY.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Thank you for the replies so far. The rack is 110cm high so one wheel at a time may be difficult unless we can reverse to a high bank or wall to reduce the height. :)

So mine is 65cm and I can, using the method described, do mine easily. So by comparison, you need an extra 45cm of lift. there are many folding step stools on fleabay which will contribute to this extra height, hopefully sufficently for you to manage.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Mick Parkinson near Preston makes a fitting to suit your van. It is bolted to the chassis, so is low enough to lift your bike onto. His workmanship is first class, highly recommended.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Small solid step and take the battery out (good for security as well), battery weight perhaps 3kgs and if you 30cm higher it will be a lot easier.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
My wife put her back out lifting her ebike onto the rack.
I’ve bought a new van with a big garage to combat that problem!
Or as previously mentioned, towbar and an Atera Strada bike rack.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
I grasp the front fork near the top and the rear frame above the derailleur then stand up. The bike will then go on our, rear mounted, bike rack.

Without the battery my bike only weighs 14kg. Even if you are not strong enough to lift it yourself surely two of you can?

...but I used to lift 60kg of diving kit above my head to load the club boat and play rugby for Lancashire :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I grasp the front fork near the top and the rear frame above the derailleur then stand up. The bike will then go on our, rear mounted, bike rack.

Without the battery my bike only weighs 14kg. Even if you are not strong enough to lift it yourself surely two of you can?

...but I used to lift 60kg of diving kit above my head to load the club boat and play rugby for Lancashire :)
I used to hand ball 40 ton of bagged cement a day in 50 kg bags,,but that was years ago,,could not lift 25 kg above my head now..Age catches slowly up with you?? mind you I have been retired many years now.BUSBY.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I had the same problem, the carriers are too high and the e bikes too heavy! I have used a Thule Tow bar mounted rack with the Batteries removed , but have now fitted a removable Scooter Rack by Memo , not cheap but it will take my scooter and a cycle without any weight issues. I would add that the MH is a 5ton Tag axle, so there is no weight issues or see saw problem. It will also take tow or three cycles. Fiamma do the crossbar clamps.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Thank you for the replies so far. The rack is 110cm high so one wheel at a time may be difficult unless we can reverse to a high bank or wall to reduce the height. We've considered the Fiamma Carry-Bike 77 E-Bike but unfortunately we'd need different fixings on the motorhome (so more holes made which isn't ideal). Thanks for suggesting Johns Cross who we've not heard of before. We've thought of using pulleys but we couldn't think what to attach them to when away from home, excuse my ignorance but what is a chandler? Please keep the comments coming - we keep thinking there must be a way! We've tried making ramps but we've not been very successful so far :)
Take up weight lifting at your local gym??BUSBY.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
A couple of months with a Bullworker and you will be fine.?

We have two ebikes, around 21 kg each without batteries and I take the saddles off too.
I can lift them onto our rack, which is about 110 cm off the ground, but we did see someone a few weeks ago with a wind down rack. Looked much easier to use for a heavy bike ( we watched them both struggle with a lightweight hybrid bike and they were a good 20 years younger than me! ) If it wasn’t for the price, I’d buy one in a flash.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I wonder how well the rear wall of some m/h copes with the weight of a couple of e-bikes?

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Folding aluminium platform fitted with bike wheel track, put bike on platform, stand on platform put bike on rack. Stow platform on rack if weights permit.
Cheers
Ed

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I have a small step to help lift mine
1570709076891.png

Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Kelv, where did you buy that from ?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Home Bargains have them, about £25 last time I looked.
I paid £20 a few years ago from Morrisons
Mine gets lots of use, washing van and hedge cutting

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back