DVLA vehicle registration (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Impressa 115
Exp
On and off since 2008
Just wondered if any other members have experienced problems with DVLA. Collected vehicle 9 July, dealer done all paper work and first registration and sent it off in the normal manner. Yet checking with DVLA my mh still is not registered, and even though I am insured they have told me that it’s not allowed on the road. My dealer tells me that they have had problems at DVLA, which obviously does not help me. Has anyone had similar issues.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many have had the same problem.
It appears anything done online get done quite fast.... Anything involving real paper and the need for a real person to sort out is taking weeks to resolve.
New registration and licence renewal appear to be worst hit.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
'Normal' it would seem from the very many similar threads on here if you use the 'Search' button top right of this page.

This is just one..........

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Just wondered if any other members have experienced problems with DVLA. Collected vehicle 9 July, dealer done all paper work and first registration and sent it off in the normal manner. Yet checking with DVLA my mh still is not registered, and even though I am insured they have told me that it’s not allowed on the road. My dealer tells me that they have had problems at DVLA, which obviously does not help me. Has anyone had similar issues.
I understood that dealers registered new vehicles obtaining a registration mark on line enabling owners to use them from delivery day.

If it's been allocated a registration mark surely it must be registered with the DVLA.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alan and Jean
Jun 17, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Impressa 115
Exp
On and off since 2008
I understood that dealers registered new vehicles obtaining a registration mark on line enabling owners to use them from delivery day.

If it's been allocated a registration mark surely it must be registered with the DVLA.
I have checked on line and registration not found. Also phoned DVLA who said the registration I was quoting has not yet been registered. I found them to be inflexible and not willing to look into the matter.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I don't know the legal ins and outs of driving an 'unregistered' vehicle but certainly it would be flagged up on a police vehicle's ANPR.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
No. Dealers are allocated a block of registration numbers in advance but the registration only takes place when the DVLA process the paperwork submitted by the dealer. In normal times as long as the dealer submits the application about 3 weeks before the date of sale the registration should be through in time. Unfortunately there is industrial action at the DVLA and registrations are taking longer than the normal 2 or 3 weeks.

Upvote 0

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Just checked my 4x4 which went on the road 1st of July and was registered with a cherished number and thats showing on the DVLA website

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I don't know the legal ins and outs of driving an 'unregistered' vehicle but certainly it would be flagged up on a police vehicle's ANPR.
Not legal, some dealers say there is a grace period of 2 weeks but this is misinformation, the grace period was dropped many years ago.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes like you there was a case of a member here last year I think who had a vehicle & was stopped by police as it was still unregistered .they allowed him to return home & park it up.I believe that he eventually made the dealer refund him as after some months it still wasn't registered.
Question, are you driving it?
Yes , as said totally illegal until shown on the system.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I'm in the process of buying a new VW Crafter for conversion to a camper, it was delivered to the conversion company yesterday and shows up on the Vehicle Enquiry Service as having V5C issued on Wednesday (28th July). I don't know what date it was delivered to the VW dealer or what date it was manufactured yet but I will find the latter out.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Mine took over 2 months because the first time the dealer got the tax wrong so they sent it back (he claims he didn't but he would wouldn't he).

Anyway - I've got to admit I did several weeks of travelling in it despite it not being 'registered'. Had I been stopped (which is very unlikely) I would have feigned ignorance.

Insurance - who knows? Again I could have been unaware there was an issue. Comfort seemed happy to insure it on the reg given so they clearly don't check anything.

P.S Why dealers don't do it digitally I do not know. My new motor bike appeared on the DVLA website the next day and docs arrived in 3 days.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Purchased my new motorhome on the 15th June still waiting for log book
Have you checked the website. It will appear there before your log book arrives. Log book could have been lost in the post.

Upvote 0

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
Wasnt it in the national news earlier this week , the DVLA are suffering “catastrophic failure” due to the pingdemic ?

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
What was the reason for refund? I ask because I am due to a refund as I have uprated my weight to PHGV so should get a refund. However it didn't arrive with the V5C.

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Had all sorts of problems with DVLA...

10 weeks to try and get change of address on driving licenses.... sent special signed for delivery...

Told they had not received them... so sent a copy of the post office receipt with the name etc of the person who had signed for them and date and time signed for..

Much the same with trying to tax and get log book in our name... (Wrong name sent in the first place... Not by us.. :doh:.)

Wrote a strongly worded letter to here =

https://www.gov.uk/government/organ...e-licensing-agency/about/complaints-procedure

Told them they should be disbanded and give the jobs to Monkeys.. who would do a better job for less pay..

Phone call and E-mail full of apologies... stating we would get things sorted within days for both complaints..

Guess what.......... They did sort it....... :Grin:(y)

Upvote 0

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Had all sorts of problems with DVLA...

10 weeks to try and get change of address on driving licenses.... sent special signed for delivery...

Told they had not received them... so sent a copy of the post office receipt with the name etc of the person who had signed for them and date and time signed for..

Much the same with trying to tax and get log book in our name... (Wrong name sent in the first place... Not by us.. :doh:.)

Wrote a strongly worded letter to here =

https://www.gov.uk/government/organ...e-licensing-agency/about/complaints-procedure

Told them they should be disbanded and give the jobs to Monkeys.. who would do a better job for less pay..

Phone call and E-mail full of apologies... stating we would get things sorted within days for both complaints..

Guess what.......... They did sort it....... :Grin:(y)
I bet they sorted after you threatened to bombard them with your jokes 😜

Upvote 0

Monkeynuts2215

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 6, 2020
Ashford Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 600
Exp
Alan i have waited over 3 and a half weekd and heard nothing from them. Our dealership
Hi Alan we are having the same issues, dealership had sent everything off, but Dvla have not responded. Dealer stated they they have tried to speed it up but it depends on the person that receives the Email sometimes they respond other times they dont here nothing
Total madness.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alan and Jean
Jun 17, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Impressa 115
Exp
On and off since 2008
Alan i have waited over 3 and a half weekd and heard nothing from them. Our dealership

Hi Alan we are having the same issues, dealership had sent everything off, but Dvla have not responded. Dealer stated they they have tried to speed it up but it depends on the person that receives the Email sometimes they respond other times they dont here nothing
Total madness.
I am getting highly irritated by the whole experience, and of course I understand that there is very little dealerships can do, especially when dealing with a government department and jobs worth civil servants. But still does not help lol

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back