bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Currently waiting on our brand new MH getting registered at the DVLA. Its been about 5 weeks so far. I understand theres a backlog due to industrial action.
We have booked sites and planned our time off from work all around the intended handover date of 21st June.

So far the dealers seem to be as stuck as we are, they have kept us updated but we are in the hands of the DVLA. Automated stuff seems to be going through ok but sadly its the manual processing of paperwork is as slow as a snail. Anyone got any ‘inside’ contacts at the DVLA?
Dealers and customers must be suffering UK wide

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Have they changed the registration process?? When I was selling Harleys our dealership had the V55 with the bike and registered and taxed it there and then in house!! No one could enter the office it was being done in whilst they were doing it, but it got done immediately! I guess it must be different for mohos🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
bridgedino

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
They also told me take my gas bottles from my own vehicle to my new one as they're also struggling with getting supplies of new LPG bottles. The countries gone crazy

Feb 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
La Strada
Exp
Feeling your pain bridgedino. All we can do right now is wash Gloria and wait...................................

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Similar story with my C1 renewal, 10 weeks now.
Seriously thinking about driving down there and setting up in their carpark and reception until i get my licence.
No response to e-mails, letters, complaint forms, and no-one answering phones
DVLA not fit for purpose
Total waste of taxpayer's money

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have they changed the registration process?? When I was selling Harleys our dealership had the V55 with the bike and registered and taxed it there and then in house!! No one could enter the office it was being done in whilst they were doing it, but it got done immediately! I guess it must be different for mohos🤷‍♂️
Big car dealers can do it but most Motorhome dealers are not set up for it.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Seriously thinking about driving down there and setting up in their carpark and reception until i get my licence.
DVLA not fit for purpose
been trying to get thro' on phone continually since 8.00 am, either engaged, unable to connect, or message saying they are getting more than usual calls !!!, what a surprise.
no answers to complaints or letters / e-mails, so i shall now be putting in an official complaint daily, copied to MP, until i get my licence, now over 11 weeks.
What else can be done.
DVLA not fit for purpose and a waste of our, taxpayer's, money.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
been trying to get thro' on phone continually since 8.00 am, either engaged, unable to connect, or message saying they are getting more than usual calls !!!, what a surprise.
no answers to complaints or letters / e-mails, so i shall now be putting in an official complaint daily, copied to MP, until i get my licence, now over 11 weeks.
What else can be done.
DVLA not fit for purpose and a waste of our, taxpayer's, money.
If there is industrial action it’s bound to be slow, or unless it’s made illegal for anybody to strike or anything ever again.

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
Does anyone know if we are able to contact the DVLA if it’s the dealer that has submitted the application or just leave it for the dealer to chase up?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Ask your MP to put in a complaint via this channel:

You may have to talk him or her through it as many MPs appear to be unaware that the service exists.

This is the OFFICIAL channel for making complains about government organisations such as the DVLA. If you have already gone through the DVLA complaints procedure (and especially if you have had no response) then the ombudsman is the way to go - but needs to be accessed via your MP.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
DVLA not fit for purpose
Weird, mine took about 10 days in December.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Seems as though anything done via the online portal that requires no human intervention is lightening quick, transferred a car into daughters name on Thursday evening, new V5 and notice of transfer arrived today.
If it’s a human intervention that’s needed then be prepared for complete pot luck timescales.

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
I managed to get through to DVLA and was advised that paper applications taking 6 weeks 🤔, but that it’s quicker online. However, i think our application is paper because the van is an import. I will have to be a wee bit more patient me thinks and give them to the end of the week before I start to stamp my feet 😉

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
I'm in the same boat - been 4 weeks so far since paperwork went in (as of today), advised it's 6 to 8 weeks at present - not a lot you can do unfortunately but wait it out

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Try their on line formal complaints procedure. This is usually the best way to get a rapid response, far quicker than phone calls and letters. However with the current industrial action even this tried and tested procedure may be slower than usual.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I bought a van 2nd hand from a dealer on Wednesday. They 'faxed' the sale across to the DVLA. I received the V5C in the post on Saturday!

(I'm wondering if, when the old sales guy said 'faxed', a back-office person actually used the web site.)

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Totally given up, tried calling over 150 times today, either engaged, sorry cannot connect you, or a recorded message apologising for delay due to heavy demand, what a surprise.
Now sending another complaint form, copying all to MP, and sending e-mails and letters daily,
If i had a shop etc near DVLA I would refuse to sell anything to any of them.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
I'm in the same boat - been 4 weeks so far since paperwork went in (as of today), advised it's 6 to 8 weeks at present - not a lot you can do unfortunately but wait it out
How about everyone who has been let down by this total waste of space, going down there and occupying their reception area until licences are issued ??

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
How about everyone who has been let down by this total waste of space, going down there and occupying their reception area until licences are issued ??
I'm as frustrated as everyone else, but unfortunately that's just the way things are at the moment - As well as this I've got a Bike on order from Ribble - placed the order at the end of April - won't be available till Sept 8th..... in fairness they were upfront at the time of order so I knew from the start - my choice to stick with the delay.

Likewise our Knaus dealer told us there was a 6 to 8 week backlog on new registrations when we put our deposit down - it's massively frustrating yes, but it will happen at some stage (fingers crossed)

Nothing appears to be working properly at the moment, I've just taken the decision to not let it bug me too much..... every now and then I go off on an unstoppable rant - but then I'm only human 😉😎

Hope everyone's vans get to them asap 👍

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
DVLA Wednesday morning 10.04am . Managed to get through on the phone still waiting for someone to answer! At present over 17 minutes ,” all our operators are busy at the moment but know I am waiting”.When and if they answer , I am not sure if I will get any where.

After 20 minutes I actually spoke to a REAL PERSON But that did not help, she stated that it had been approved what ever that means and it is in the system!

Colyboy

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Picked up our brand new van from SMC Motorhomes on Tuesday 16 June, they register there and then and gave us a document entitled Registration Successful. We were away in new van over a long weekend. Actual V5 arrived by our return home on Monday.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
keep an eye on the onli
DVLA Wednesday morning 10.04am . Managed to get through on the phone still waiting for someone to answer! At present over 17 minutes ,” all our operators are busy at the moment but know I am waiting”.When and if they answer , I am not sure if I will get any where.

After 20 minutes I actually spoke to a REAL PERSON But that did not help, she stated that it had been approved what ever that means and it is in the system!

Colyboy
Check the DVLA online details for registration or driving license (whichever you are waiting for). You may find it has gone through and you are only waiting for the paperwork to catch up, in which case you are good to go.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
keep an eye on the onli

Check the DVLA online details for registration or driving license (whichever you are waiting for). You may find it has gone through and you are only waiting for the paperwork to catch up, in which case you are good to go.
Hi Pausim. You very near to our dealer (Harbour Creek, Hayling island)

My question you is how do I check if it registered? I get very confused of what button to press when looking at their website, hope you can help.

Colyboy

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Pausim. You very near to our dealer (Harbour Creek, Hayling island)

My question you is how do I check if it registered? I get very confused of what button to press when looking at their website, hope you can help.

Colyboy
Hi Colyboy, click this link

then enter your registration number in the box and click continue. If it is registered it will take you to another page where you need to click yes before clicking continue and it should then give you the details. If it is not registered I think it just comes up with “not found” after clicking continue on the first page.

In 2019 they were updating the information twice a day, sometime before 9AM and again sometime around lunchtime. It might well still be the same. Worth checking again from time to time if it is not yet showing up.

Best of luck, hope it is there already.🤞

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Put a private plate on my van on Sunday. Filled in the form on the DVLA website. Received the V5C with the new plate today (Thursday).

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
When I have imported, admittedly not in the current turmoil, I have sent in all the documents but included my retention certificate to put onto the new van. I could then interrogate the gov website with that number and generally got a positive hit within days. Then up to 2 weeks later documents arrived. But importantly I knew I could drive it as a pnc check would flag it as registered and taxed. It could all be just a fluke but maybe it was directed through a different route internally. Who knows.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back