Dummy deadlocks (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Why would anyone consider skimping on the cost of deadlocks to protect a Ā£50,000 plus asset ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
When we had the anti-puncture thing fitted on the fiat cab, we talked to the fitter about these dummy locks. His opinion was they are a reasonable deterrent but you have to fit them in the right place as the thieves know exactly where a proper lock would be fitted.

Deleted User
Do you have deadlocks fitted? Most people don't, are they skimping too?
We did on the Laika we have just sold and the replacement Esterel will have them too.

Reactions: Jim
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Do you have deadlocks fitted? Most people don't, are they skimping too?
I'm getting one fitted
(It came with the van, but was never fitted)

I always think when locking up in an urban situation, it really would not take more than a screwdriver to open the hab door.
I think deadlocks on the hab door are a good idea, you don't use them all the time, just when wanted.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In the last 30 years, I've never felt the need to fit them. I've had deadlocks fitted on the inside. But then I've always had a good alarm fitted.

I can see the point in a builders panel van full of tools, but that's about it. Can anyone sell me on why I should have them on an alarmed motorhome?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
In the last 30 years, I've never felt the need to fit them. I've had deadlocks fitted on the inside. But then I've always had a good alarm fitted.

I can see the point in a builders panel van full of tools, but that's about it. Can anyone sell me on why I should have them on an alarmed motorhome?
I've got the lock (came in a box with the van)
So I may as well get it fitted.
Going cost Ā£80 at Motorhome Locks of Pershore

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

I thought that as I have an alarm. Then I thought the alarm is only effective AFTER someone has gained entry but deadlocks or even dummies might just make that someone not bother or go on the the next van that doesn't have them.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I thought that as I have an alarm. Then I thought the alarm is only effective AFTER someone has gained entry

That might be so for your alarm, but all of my motorhome alarms over the years offered a far more visual detterent in the way of flashing lights, than a deadlock that may or may not be locked.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
That might be so for your alarm, but all of my motorhome alarms over the years offered a far more visual detterent in the way of flashing lights, than a deadlock that may or may not be locked.
Butā€¦ā€¦by the time the alarm triggers, entry has probably been forced with damage to the bodywork or a window smashed.

Obviously we will all decide for ourselves what we think is prudent and worth paying for. However, as deadlocks on the inside (which you mentioned you had Jim) may well give some added protection, for example when asleep at night, they do not provide a visual external deterrent when your MoHo is left unattended.

I like my external, visually obvious, deadlocks and presume if we are parked next to you, a thief well think your MoHo an easier target than mine!

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
My alarm does of course have the flashing lights. I just think anything one can do to put off a potential intruder has got to be a positive.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Butā€¦ā€¦by the time the alarm triggers, entry has probably been forced with damage to the bodywork or a window smashed.

Nothing to do with a triggered alarm. It's about deterrent. Personally I think the flashing light of an alarm is significantly more of a deterrent than a deadlock.

And my alarm works on more than a door, and I can sleep safely with it armed. Offering a further detterrent when I want it most.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I like my external, visually obvious, deadlocks and presume if we are parked next to you, a thief well think your MoHo an easier target than mine!

I raise my flashing blue lights against your deadlock that might not even be locked. :D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I remember some time ago seeing a company who fitted LED lights around the camper, front, sides and back which could be set to activate when someone approached within a meter or so or any distance the user set, these could be coupled with a speaker that gave a warning, "Step away fro the vehicle now" I don't see adverts for them now so I suppose they never became popular, perhaps they were set off by every passing cat or proved unreliable.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Hang on a minute......
The blurb states real rivets are used to secure the device just like the real thing.
Takes seconds to drill out a rivet and remove the real lock.

The rivets on the real deadlocks only secure the escutcheon into place.
The real locks are Eurolocks, so you will have to have the door open to gain access to the lock securing screw and have the key turn the barrel to the correct position to remove the lock. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back