Ducato Clutch about to give up? (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
We’re currently touring in Spain and planning to head up into the Picos de Europa today. However, when we arrived at the site a couple of days ago and I was reversing the front wheels onto the blocks to get the van level she struggled a little bit and the clutch must have been slipping a bit as there was that lovely aroma of ‘clutch a la scorchio’.

I’ve never had that experience before in the 100+ times I must have used the chocks and I’m a bit concerned that the clutch might be trying to tell me something! Me thinks driving up some of the highest mountains in Northern Spain on a bank holiday might not be the smartest move if the clutch is just about to give up.🫣

I will test it before I do anything by trying to pull off in 1st with the hand brake on but would appreciate any thoughts/advice. BTW Doris is 2011 Ducato with 44,000 miles on the clock.

Looking forward to some (comforting) responses.

Cheers

Mark

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
You know your van better than anyone
Once you do a test which will be an indication if it’s slipping at least or if you have just burnt it

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I think its normal and I've had it before especially when putting a lot of strain when going up ramps and slopes.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You should never reverse onto ramps it nearly always causes clutch problems as reverse gear is a lot higher than first.
Clutch is probably OK if you have only had the burning smell on the odd occasion just don't do it again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Sometimes it's unavoidable but I read many post with advice about not reversing onto ramps as reverse gear is a bit weak a d higher geared than 1st gear.🤷
Mike.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Yes. I agree with Lenny HB . I had a brand new rover 600 and used it to reverse our caravan up our drive. It wasn't steep but slightly uphill. Overpowering smell of burnt clutch. It went on to do another 100K miles with no problem.

It was a company car but I still never did it again.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As an aside I used to see a lot of people thrashing the nuts off their engine going up ramps I found it best to not touch the accelerator at all and just use the clutch. What do others do? This is tempting fate but I've never had a new clutch on any vehicle apart from a 50 year old triumph vitesse of unknown mileage.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I have to admit that we usually alway reverse up ramps and have never had any problems, come to that we have reversed up some pretty steep inclines in our 11 year old Ducato 2.3L which has been remapped with no problems at all.
Unlike our 2010 3L Ducato that suffered from the dreadful Clutch Judder.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Gentle rolling forward motion, with one foot over the clutch and the other feathering the throttle, but ready to brake when I hear our pre-placed squeaker telling me were near the top. It's easier to go to high, and roll back, than try and get those last few inches when your already on the ramps incline.
Mike.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Gentle rolling forward motion, with one foot over the clutch and the other feathering the throttle, but ready to brake when I hear our pre-placed squeaker telling me were near the top. It's easier to go to high, and roll back, than try and get those last few inches when your already on the ramps incline.
Mike.
I'm interested in hearing about your pre placed squeaker. That's a good idea, do you put it on top level or the one you want to be on, what type of squeaky do you use please ?

OP
OP
Hooflungdung
Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the advice - hopefully the clutch still has a lot of life - I will know in a bit.

Incidentally, I always try and drive onto the ramps forward (for the reasons stated) but as the ground was wet and more rain forecast I wanted to be able to roll forward off of the pitch as opposed to rolling back further onto soggy ground.

Will update accordingly.

Cheers

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
You should never reverse onto ramps it nearly always causes clutch problems as reverse gear is a lot higher than first.
Clutch is probably OK if you have only had the burning smell on the odd occasion just don't do it again.
I am sure Milenco Quattro and Triple ramps have stamped on them not to reverse onto them!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks for the advice - hopefully the clutch still has a lot of life - I will know in a bit.

Incidentally, I always try and drive onto the ramps forward (for the reasons stated) but as the ground was wet and more rain forecast I wanted to be able to roll forward off of the pitch as opposed to rolling back further onto soggy ground.

Will update accordingly.

Cheers
You gave the impression you had reversed up them 100+ times.
You could have just turned the van round.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have to admit that we usually alway reverse up ramps and have never had any problems, come to that we have reversed up some pretty steep inclines in our 11 year old Ducato 2.3L which has been remapped with no problems at all.
Unlike our 2010 3L Ducato that suffered from the dreadful Clutch Judder.
You have been very lucky, the Ducato is one of the worst for clutch problems when reversing up ramps due to the high reverse gear.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I'm interested in hearing about your pre placed squeaker. That's a good idea, do you put it on top level or the one you want to be on, what type of squeaky do you use please ?
I posted a thread a while ago on it, but succinctly. It's just a dogs squeaky toy inside a piece of inner tube. You just place it on the ramp with the squeak part facing outwards. As you drive over it the squeak lets you know you're near the top. I try and place it higher than needed as the adjustment for level is then done on the brakes, rather than blaying the life out of the clutch.
It works for me and cost about £1. which is lot cheaper than running off the highest part of the ramps if you get things wrong.
Mike.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Put the ramps on the downhill side. Then move forwards or reverse on to them. That way you aren't fighting gravity. With the bonus that it's effectively chocking the wheels, so it's safer if your handbrake fails.

Toasting your clutch a bit once isn't good, but as long as your not doing it every time, wheel spinning every time you pull away and powershifting into 2nd, you're probably ok.

When you're on an empty bit of road, get rolling, and with the clutch out, floor the throttle up to at least 2500rpm. I think it's best done in a higher gear? If the clutch is goosed, you'll get slip.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I use ramps as little as possible. It’s very easy to become anal about being level which is quite unnecessary. The fridge works quite happily with a slight list fore and aft or side to side! My van is 3 litre & 5 ton laden and prone to clutch overheating. Had to reverse out of Setenil de las Bodegas 300 yards and clutch overheating warning light came on the dash. Fine again once cooled off!

OP
OP
Hooflungdung
Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
Ok. So. The story has a happy ending (so far!🤞). Did the clutch check and all good. Drove up the mountain and all good - well as far as the clutch goes anyway. Going up narrowish 2 lane road up the very pretty gorge to Potes when a Wally in a Ford Puma/Kuga comes round the bend towards us with two wheels on our side of the white line and eyeballs fixed on the scenery. Swerves back onto his side at the last second and there is a loud bang as he passes us. I thought he hit our mirror but it hadn’t moved. ‘Er indoors thought he’d hit us further back. We pulled over at the first chance which was a mile or so up the road and checked the van and could find no damage so can only presume that the plonker over corrected and walloped his mirror or another part of his vehicle on the wall on his side which had been placed there specifically to keep motor vehicles out of the gorge.

Like I said, happy ending for us - probably not for the plonker in the Ford - one of Life’s great lessons!

I have presumed said plonker was of the male persuasion - it goes without saying that the plonker may have been an alternative flavour.🫢

OP
OP
Hooflungdung
Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
You gave the impression you had reversed up them 100+ times.
You could have just turned the van round.
Turning the van round wasn’t an option. The Kampenfuhrer was very insistent that I reverse onto the pitch (which is generally good practice when the ground is wet).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back