Driving With Full Water Tanks (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'm finding just the opposite. I can't get enough water. I'm in Croatia with a new MoHo and alone. I have no experience. There are no campsites where I'm travelling. I last filled my tank from the river and use as little as possible but it goes so quickly. Water and wastewater are my only worries.
Have you tried asking at filling stations? Ask truck drivers where they top up their drinking water containers?
Some public toilets may have an accessible tap. There must be a source of drinking water somewhere en route.

Good luck with that.(y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
When leaving Stellplatze empty waste and toilet then full 150 litres . Arrive at next site park and relax .weight always watched plated 5ton ,HD goldsmitt springs air suspension HD anti roll bar Tuv checked and weighed fully loaded.

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
You take however much water you think you’re going to need en route and on arrival taking into account whether you’ll be arriving late in which case don’t leave yourself short. I take a 10l Jerry can just in case but usually leave topping up water until arrival at next site. Remember, extra weight equals poorer fuel economy and extra tyre wear albeit minimal but it’s not a habit I’d personally get into.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
We're currently on our very first trip with our new-to-us MoHo, in France. We've been on the same site for 2 days and, so far, I've seen 4 different MoHos fill their water tanks full before leaving. Two of them also filled separate water containers. One of them also had 4 adults and two children on board, as well as 3 bikes and no end of chairs, tables, BBQ etc. This wasn't a massive MoHo, just a normal 3.5t one (unless they'd had it re-plated. Anyway, as well as wondering what the weight must be like on these rigs, I'm also wondering why people would do this? Or is it just me being over-cautious about the weight and stability?
Always fill my tank at home to full before setting off
checked fuel consumption with empty and full water tank
difference was 1 mile per gallon with full tank
and the benefit of using water we use at home every day
and not needing to fill up on arriving somewhere
also allows wild camping without the niggling thought of
running short of water

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
This making interesting reading, particularly as the handbook for our MoHo says never to drive with water in either of the tanks, and particularly mentions instability. We've also been warned by many of our French Mo-Hoing friends that the French Police are hotting up on overweight MoHos, hence why I was surprised to see people setting off with full tanks.
I am very surprised that your manufacturer (who?) instructs empty tanks. What on earth do you do if you want to stop to flush the lavatory and how can you guarantee to find water? It seems crazy to me.

Particularly here in France it can be difficult at times to find water but we are off for a month soon in Greece. there we find it very difficult as water is a rare and more expensive commodity. We fill our tanks before leaving and last time we were in Greece we were out of water for an entire day once.

I would never travel with empty or near empty tanks.

On your other point, I stand to be corrected but I have never heard of French Police stopping camping cars to check the weight. I am sure it happens but must be a very rare experience.

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
. Remember, extra weight equals poorer fuel economy and extra tyre wear albeit minimal but it’s not a habit I’d personally get into.
As a percentage of the existing weight of the vehicle the extra water is a tiny percentage. It might make a very slight difference to fuel economy but I would doubt that tyre wear is any greater.

Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
This making interesting reading, particularly as the handbook for our MoHo says never to drive with water in either of the tanks, and particularly mentions instability. We've also been warned by many of our French Mo-Hoing friends that the French Police are hotting up on overweight MoHos, hence why I was surprised to see people setting off with full tanks.
Off to France next month with full tanks and a tow car will let you know if I end up in jail

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I am very surprised that your manufacturer (who?) instructs empty tanks. What on earth do you do if you want to stop to flush the lavatory and how can you guarantee to find water? It seems crazy to me.

It's a Benimar. Crazy or not, that's what is says.

On your other point, I stand to be corrected but I have never heard of French Police stopping camping cars to check the weight. I am sure it happens but must be a very rare experience.

Two of our friends have been stopped and we've actually seen one being pulled over. Aside from this, there are more reports via friends of friends, Facebook groups etc. Of course, I could dismiss this and pay no attention but I want to stay on the right side of the law. This is why I'm asking questions. I'm more concerned about being involved in an accident and being found to be at fault because we're doing something we shouldn't be doing. Even if, as you say, it's a rare experience, I'd rather not be that rare experience :)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Have to be a bit thrifty if away for a couple of months!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As a percentage of the existing weight of the vehicle the extra water is a tiny percentage. It might make a very slight difference to fuel economy but I would doubt that tyre wear is any greater.
When your vehicle is pushing air out of the way with a virtually flat front of around 70 square feet in area (A class) any change in weight has almost no influence. I only wish I could wear out my tyres before they die of old age.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005

Particularly here in France it can be difficult at times to find water but we are off for a month soon in Greece. there we find it very difficult as water is a rare and more expensive commodity. We fill our tanks before leaving and last time we were in Greece we were out of water for an entire day once.

I would never travel with empty or near empty tanks.

I don’t think the real point is about the economics, the way you prefer to travel or the chances of a stop check or not. The main point is to factor how much payload you have which will dictate the amount of water you can carry particularly with manufacturers wanting to cater to the biggest market ie under 3.5 tons and therefore often very small payloads. A family of 4 in a 3.5 ton rated vehicle is likely to be very tight on payload to carry more than they might want to.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I travel with a full tank of water and don't have the slightest interest in whether I lose a few mpg, or a couple of mph uphill or a smidge of tyre rubber.
I don't keep any records. A journey takes as long as it takes and being blessed with a modicum of common sense I don't exceed my payload and I tend to put in diesel and replace tyres whenever I need to.

EDIT - I would add that if necessary I can manage easily to live for 2 days on the 10L 'emergency' container kept under the sink until I find a supply to fill up the tank. When I was offshore yacht racing each crew member was quite happy with their 6 pint daily 'ration'.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You take however much water you think you’re going to need en route and on arrival taking into account whether you’ll be arriving late in which case don’t leave yourself short. I take a 10l Jerry can just in case but usually leave topping up water until arrival at next site. Remember, extra weight equals poorer fuel economy and extra tyre wear albeit minimal but it’s not a habit I’d personally get into.
That makes two assumptions. The first is that when we leave in the morning we know where we will be stopping for that night. The second is that we know that wherever we are stopping will have water. Usually neither of those assumptions are correct when we are on our rambles, especially when in Europe.

Extra fuel and tyre wear are minimal and more than set off by the savings on exorbitant site fees.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We're currently on our very first trip with our new-to-us MoHo, in France. We've been on the same site for 2 days and, so far, I've seen 4 different MoHos fill their water tanks full before leaving. Two of them also filled separate water containers. One of them also had 4 adults and two children on board, as well as 3 bikes and no end of chairs, tables, BBQ etc. This wasn't a massive MoHo, just a normal 3.5t one (unless they'd had it re-plated. Anyway, as well as wondering what the weight must be like on these rigs, I'm also wondering why people would do this? Or is it just me being over-cautious about the weight and stability?
My rule is always travel with a full fresh tank and an empty waste tank and toilet cassette. You ever know when plans might change and whether fresh water will be available. It is not uncommon to arrive at an air only to find the water is off and even in the UK, should you want to overnight at a Britstop or other venue instead of on a site having water is a must. Stability is not affected by a full rate tank undid you cannot get all you require loaded without being overweight, you probably have the wrong motorhome.

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
I’ve seen this discussed a few times…..
we tend to travel with a low water tank level - about 30 litres. My reason for doing this is because the water tank is inboard, under a bench seat, and the fixings for the tank are effectively nylon straps and the plywood of the seat construction. If we were in a collision, the inertia involved in a full water tank (~ 130 litres) would probably cause the tank to break free, causing a lot of damage. I think this is a reason why manufacturers recommend not travelling with full water tanks.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
.....we tend to travel with a low water tank level - about 30 litres. ...... If we were in a collision, the inertia involved in a full water tank (~ 130 litres) would probably cause the tank to break free, causing a lot of damage. I think this is a reason why manufacturers recommend not travelling with full water tanks.
It's also a symptom of their drive to save weight and cost with generally 'flimsy' construction throughout and to enhance the payload rating.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
we tend to travel with a low water tank level - about 30 litres. My reason for doing this is because the water tank is inboard, under a bench seat, and the fixings for the tank are effectively nylon straps and the plywood of the seat construction. If we were in a collision, the inertia involved in a full water tank (~ 130 litres) would probably cause the tank to break free, causing a lot of damage. I think this is a reason why manufacturers recommend not travelling with full water tanks.

The only reason that converters recommend low water levels is to be able to quote a higher payload in their brochures. Of course that increase is illusionary.

If I was in an accident the water tank would be very low on the list of my worries. The cutlery, glasses, toolkit, gas tanks, batteries and many more things flying about would be higher up the list.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
My rule is always travel with a full fresh tank and an empty waste tank and toilet cassette. You ever know when plans might change and whether fresh water will be available. It is not uncommon to arrive at an air only to find the water is off and even in the UK, should you want to overnight at a Britstop or other venue instead of on a site having water is a must. Stability is not affected by a full rate tank undid you cannot get all you require loaded without being overweight, you probably have the wrong motorhome.
I can carry all I need, so don't need another MoHo. The manual says not to drive with full tanks because of stability issues.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I can carry all I need, so don't need another MoHo. The manual says not to drive with full tanks because of stability issues.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I think this is spot on and, in the event of an accident, an insurer could argue that you had an unsecure load (knowing how they like to wriggle out of paying out). Even if there were no personal injuries in an accident, having your insurance voided due to an unsecure load would mean paying for all the MoHo damage yourself. Not something I'd want to do.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
The only reason that converters recommend low water levels is to be able to quote a higher payload in their brochures. Of course that increase is illusionary.

If I was in an accident the water tank would be very low on the list of my worries. The cutlery, glasses, toolkit, gas tanks, batteries and many more things flying about would be higher up the list.

Wouldn't all those things be in lockers or strapped down, though? As thidwick said, the water tank could break free from under the seat and cause lots of damage.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The manual says not to drive with full tanks because of stability issues.

Yes, they all discovered these stability issues at around the same time as an EU directive changed which allowed them to calculate payload without water. For 30 years prior, they calculated payload at 90% full. Wasn't dangerous then. apparently :wink:

Now, you travel empty because of the "danger" of these flimsy tanks. But some of the roughest, bumpiest ground you'll cover is bouncing over to your pitch on grassy sites after you filled. :D

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Wouldn't all those things be in lockers or strapped down, though? As thidwick said, the water tank could break free from under the seat and cause lots of damage.
I suspect that you have never seen the result of a A or C class motorhome being in a heavy collision. Matchwood and scrap is a good description. The drawers, cupboards and lockers will not provide much protection.

The water tanks are fitted very low (mine is beneath the habitation floor) and therefore will not cause stability problems. The fuller they are the more they will probably lower the centre of gravity of the vehicle, thus probably marginally improving stability.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I guess so, but anything and everything will probably break free if you're in a collision.

Different subject I know, my drain clearing machine carries 500L of water in an un baffled tank, I don't have any problems driving with the tank full.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
The manual says not to drive with full tanks because of stability issues.
I would have thought that half a tank of water would be more unstable than a full tank of water, with it sloshing about.

Unless of course one has a fully baffled water tank to prevent this occuring.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We fill our water tank with wine and buy bottled water - a much better system altogether. 170L would last us a couple of weeks anyhow without having to find another vineyard to top up.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
The water tanks are fitted very low (mine is beneath the habitation floor) and therefore will not cause stability problems.
Mine too, right underneath, low down in the centreline, just aft of the 150L diesel tank and the spare wheel, all firmly secured in steel strap 'cradles' bolted to the chassis. I suppose there's a risk of the water freezing if I was to boldly go touring in sub zero temperatures but I've never felt the need or wished to do that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back