Driving With Full Water Tanks (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
We're currently on our very first trip with our new-to-us MoHo, in France. We've been on the same site for 2 days and, so far, I've seen 4 different MoHos fill their water tanks full before leaving. Two of them also filled separate water containers. One of them also had 4 adults and two children on board, as well as 3 bikes and no end of chairs, tables, BBQ etc. This wasn't a massive MoHo, just a normal 3.5t one (unless they'd had it re-plated. Anyway, as well as wondering what the weight must be like on these rigs, I'm also wondering why people would do this? Or is it just me being over-cautious about the weight and stability?
Better to travel with about 20% water for loo flushing and a cuppa etc. This works fine if you are always going to use a site where you can fill up on arrival.
Not every Aire has that facility.

Reactions: HKF
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I always travel with a full water tank. It’s 100 litres and is under one of my lounge seats so inboard and high up. Being a tag axle it makes no difference to the weight and gives me at least three days of toilet flushing, washing up, showering etc if I’m wild camping.
if I had a smaller, lighter plated van I’d sacrifice other things so I could carry more water.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy 270
From what I can gather with MH’s and self built campers is that not many care too much about the weight/ payload.
If an overweight motorhome came careering into me and maimed me or my passengers, I’d be pursuing them through the courts until they’re in prison!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
From what I can gather with MH’s and self built campers is that not many care too much about the weight/ payload.
If an overweight motorhome came careering into me and maimed me or my passengers, I’d be pursuing them through the courts until they’re in prison!
Most care enough to visit a weighbridge to check.

May 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy 270
Most care enough to visit a weighbridge to check.
Some maybe, certainly not most. You could ring any self built that is for sale on the internet and ask the weight and not get an answer.
Fully lined in pine cladding most of them too! 🤨

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Always start off with a full tank, I guess cause it’s easier to fill at home and means no messing about on arrival at site. If I’m moving to another site I refill. Only empty out when I get home. The weight thing is a concern rather than stability (have never had stability problem). If I loaded up with EVERYTHING I really wanted to take I know I would be overweight so it’s a juggling act. It’s a shame awnings are so heavy (including the air awnings), electric bikes are so heavy, everything is too heavy (including me!). It’s a pity the electric drop-down bed isn’t easily removable as rarely use that unless Grandchildren come with us.

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
We're currently on our very first trip with our new-to-us MoHo, in France. We've been on the same site for 2 days and, so far, I've seen 4 different MoHos fill their water tanks full before leaving. Two of them also filled separate water containers. One of them also had 4 adults and two children on board, as well as 3 bikes and no end of chairs, tables, BBQ etc. This wasn't a massive MoHo, just a normal 3.5t one (unless they'd had it re-plated. Anyway, as well as wondering what the weight must be like on these rigs, I'm also wondering why people would do this? Or is it just me being over-cautious about the weight and stability?
Maybe a few days off grid where not sure they'll get next supply of water?

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
As mentioned we always fill the fresh water tank and empty the grey water tank and the toilet(if it is 3 days since the last empty) Don't get caught out if you have to go....! Public toilets are in short supply abroad.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As mentioned we always fill the fresh water tank and empty the grey water tank and the toilet(if it is 3 days since the last empty) Don't get caught out if you have to go....! Public toilets are in short supply abroad.
3 days! I usually need to empty every day + a bit.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Carry 20lts in bottle for tea etc etc etc. Empty water tank and gray waste every time. Why carry 70/80/120lts of water and 50/60/70 of gray waste thats like carring another person or two in the back. Waste of fuel.

Feb 14, 2020
Switzerland
Funster No
MH
Malibu T440 QB 2016
Exp
3 years
Three weeks ago the Swiss police were pulling over every MH and weighing them. Those that were overweight were fined and could not move until they met the weight regulations. And … they were not allowed to dump water on the side of the autoroute either. A long line of taxis were present taking bikes, people, bbq’s etc to hotels and local campsites. Know your weight or you may have a very unpleasant vacation.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Carry 20lts in bottle for tea etc etc etc. Empty water tank and gray waste every time. Why carry 70/80/120lts of water and 50/60/70 of gray waste thats like carring another person or two in the back. Waste of fuel.
I think you would find it made little to no difference on fuel consumption. We travel with little fresh water and no grey otherwise we would be over weight.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Three weeks ago the Swiss police were pulling over every MH and weighing them. Those that were overweight were fined and could not move until they met the weight regulations. And … they were not allowed to dump water on the side of the autoroute either. A long line of taxis were present taking bikes, people, bbq’s etc to hotels and local campsites. Know your weight or you may have a very unpleasant vacation.
They should do more of that over here, no excuse for traveling overweight. Caravans are often the worst offenders.

Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
We take every opportunity to empty the grey and black in Greece. But water is never a problem as every church in Greece has a water tap. We use a watering can for that; it's the best thing we ever bought.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
weight and stability?
Hi.
In most of the road going Liquid Tanker trailers,there are " Baffles " to soften the swill of the liquid on the move ( Braking cornering etc). So,if your tank on the m.ho is half full and sloshing about ( If you even notice it ) there is one problem, strain on the carrier ?.. Your full tank will put a strain on the carrier,but this should have been factored in. It would be a mistake to set off somewhere you do not know with no water...... Also,being held up on a M/way or breakdown,with all the gear for a brew.....and no water.
Weight ? This has been hinted at before, some of the modern small m/ho's have a tight payload,could be a get out about overloading issues by certain converter/coachbuilt units ?
We always carry at least two thirds full water tank and a 10ltr. plastic container full,for starters..... you know where it came from..best of luck.
Tea Bag

Reactions: HKF
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
This is exactly what's happening in some areas of France, which is why I was amazed to see people filling up their water tanks before moving on.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is exactly what's happening in some areas of France, which is why I was amazed to see people filling up their water tanks before moving on.
On Aires nearly everyone fills up before moving on, we do. The only sensible option if you don't know where your next stop is going to be, we never do.
I wouldn't buy a Motorhome that didn't have enough payload to run with a full tank.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
If weighed you are allowed to dump the water. We travel full.
Are you assuming they would allow you to dump water before they weighed you or am I reading this incorrectly?....you would be weighed in the condition of the vehicle when you were stopped. They don’t allow you to dump water then weigh you. If you were overweight they would allow you to dump water then reweigh you to see if you were under permitted weight so you could continue your journey but the offence of overweight would be complete and you would be charged accordingly...if the figures were over!

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Bet you don't do France in the winter. :LOL:
In our caravan days [daze more likely!], we had to stop at caravan sites in late November en route to Spain, and in France again on the return trip in early February, We used Gradignan, just off the Bordeaux inner Ring Road [ pig of an approach travelling south but very easy travelling north from the autoroute], which has residential units and is open year round, and Alet les Bains, also year round, plus Camping Larouletta around St Jean de Luz, but that does make for some tidy mileage, without the advantage of being able to stop when the mood takes, or the stomach starts to rumble ... :LOL:

Steve

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Are you assuming they would allow you to dump water before they weighed you or am I reading this incorrectly?....you would be weighed in the condition of the vehicle when you were stopped. They don’t allow you to dump water then weigh you. If you were overweight they would allow you to dump water then reweigh you to see if you were under permitted weight so you could continue your journey but the offence of overweight would be complete and you would be charged accordingly...if the figures were over!
Do you know that? Or are you assuming based on good logic?

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
You must therefore work, or have worked in the recent past in a related job to actually know that.

So, if a motorhome was pulled and weighed, and the overload was marginal, you are saying they would immediately issue a fine, or whatever notice, then let you go if you emptied your tanks so to be under the limit. No flexibility?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back