Driving on to levellers - Comformatic gearbox (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Got a 2.3l 150 bhp Frankia on a Fiat Ducato.
Had a problem when trying to drive onto levellers this morning. Once in position, put handbrake on and each time the van rolled back down to a lower level and although it's holding on the handbrake at the lower level it now creaks. Should we be trying to do this in 'manual' mode? Or any other tips.
Only picked up this new van yesterday so be kind!

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We picked our comfortmatic up last week and were told to park in gear - reverse or forward, but not neutral. Would this help?

They also told us to move gear level to neutral if sat at lights or in a queue for a long time as it will reduce wear on the clutch - just as you would a conventional gearbox - which you wouldn't sit in gear with the clutch down in for ages either. This may be a well known tip, but it was new to me!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally creaks and settles back a bit but not a whole level. You say you only picked up the van yesterday, they take a little while to settle in see how it is after a 1000 miles. Selecting manual won't make any difference.
When the van is new we always have trouble reversing onto our drive as need to get the back end within a couple of inches of the garage gutter always a bit dodgy until the van has done 500 - 1000 miles. Last van and current one the same, both 150 hp Comformatic. The gear change also gets better after you have done 12,000 - 15,000 miles, the gearbox software is set up for a fully run in engine (15,000 miles).

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Probably once you are at the required level, change into reverse, stop engine then put brake on- might be better.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Probably once you are at the required level, change into reverse, stop engine then put brake on- might be better.
Cheers, Dave(y)
I would have thought it would be better left in 1st as that is the lower gear.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Hi I have just bought s Chausson with a 180 HP engine and a Comfortmatic gearbox being in theMotor trade all my working life, and knowing the guts inside the gearbox I am reluctant to leave it gear,I would rather chock the wheels, apart from now getting used to the gearbox operation which seems about Mickey mouse it drives very well and seems quite powerful.
Tony 50

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
should have bought an american rv, no problems with levelers, just park, put the jacks down and beer out :D:D

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I think this thread should be more about the hand brake, not the gearbox...... if it's a new van the brakes will take time to settle and bed in ... especially the rears as that's what the handbrake controls...

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
should have bought an american rv, no problems with levelers, just park, put the jacks down and beer out :D:D
Since when does it have to be an American RV?
14993721177521450997618.jpg

Reactions: Mel

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
Hi I have just bought s Chausson with a 180 HP engine and a Comfortmatic gearbox being in theMotor trade all my working life, and knowing the guts inside the gearbox I am reluctant to leave it gear,I would rather chock the wheels, apart from now getting used to the gearbox operation which seems about Mickey mouse it drives very well and seems quite powerful.
Tony 50
Hi Tony, I have no idea on mechanics, is it wrong to leave a Mh in gear? I have a Euro 5 manual fiat . Any advice would be welcome. Cheers

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
The handbrake should hold it on levellers the same as parking on a hill even if it's a new vehicle but if you feel better by leaving in gear I would apply handbrake but make sure there is no load on the gearbox
Tony50

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
The handbrake should hold it on levellers the same as parking on a hill even if it's a new vehicle but if you feel better by leaving in gear I would apply handbrake but make sure there is no load on the gearbox
Tony50
Thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi Tony, I have no idea on mechanics, is it wrong to leave a Mh in gear? I have a Euro 5 manual fiat . Any advice would be welcome. Cheers
You should leave the Comfortmatic in gear when parking. It will beep very loudly at you if you try and turn the engine off in neutral. Warning you of your error. :)

It's basically just a manual gearbox internally, so leaving it in gear is exactly the same as parking a vehicle with a manual box which is also recommended as you can never trust handbrakes.

So to answer your question, park it in gear always, whether manual or Comfortmatic. Traditional automatics are different - they have a dedicated parking position where the transmission is locked.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Hi dodfloss.in your case , with a manual gearbox , apply hand brake , if it's still in gear with engine running switch off engine and depress couch pedal so as not to leave load on gearbox alternatively, apply handbrake put in neutral switch off then putinto gear, nobody will convince me to leave aload on the gearbox whatever a Dealer told me .
Tony50

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Mr BeeKeeper is correct. The Fiat Comfortmatic manual says ALWAYS leave in gear when parking.
We suffered the same roll back issue for ages until I bothered to read the manual.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I reckon there's far more stress on the gearbox when driving than could ever be in a parking situation.

I would agree. Also, I don't think anyone is suggesting that you have to "load" the gearbox before applying the parking brake, but by leaving the vehicle in gear it provides an additional safety measure should the parking brake fail or be unable to hold the vehicle for any reason.

On modern vehicles with split line hydraulic braking systems, the parking brake is no longer required to also function as an emergency brake and parking brake minimum efficiency requirements are substantially less than they were when that was the case.

Many vehicle handbooks also include an instruction to leave the vehicle in gear and not rely solely on the parking brake when leaving the vehicle unattended. This includes the current Ducato handbook, which says "Stop the engine and engage the handbrake; engage a gear and leave the wheels steered".

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I would agree. Also, I don't think anyone is suggesting that you have to "load" the gearbox before applying the parking brake, but by leaving the vehicle in gear it provides an additional safety measure should the parking brake fail or be unable to hold the vehicle for any reason.

On modern vehicles with split line hydraulic braking systems, the parking brake is no longer required to also function as an emergency brake and parking brake minimum efficiency requirements are substantially less than they were when that was the case.

Many vehicle handbooks also include an instruction to leave the vehicle in gear and not rely solely on the parking brake when leaving the vehicle unattended. This includes the current Ducato handbook, which says "Stop the engine and engage the handbrake; engage a gear and leave the wheels steered".
In order to leave the Comfortmatic in gear you have to have gear selected before switching off the engine. On restarting it will automatically select neutral.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Nobodies said don't leave it in gear what I mentioned was don't leave a load on the transmission/gearbox.
Tony 50. PS see donor's last paragraph stop engine apply handbrake ,put in gear ,that's it [ no load ]

Last edited:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Nobodies said don't leave it in gear what I mentioned was don't leave a load on the transmission/gearbox.
Tony 50. PS see donor's last paragraph stop engine apply handbrake ,put in gear ,that's it [ no load ]

Where the Comfortmatic is concerned you have to select gear BEFORE you turn off the engine.
Once the engine is switched off, moving the gear selector has no effect.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Lenny HB well done no load on Gearbox leaving in gear (forward gear )to stop it rolling back off ramps would certainly put a load on the gearbox if the vehicle moved backwards which the gearbox is not designed to do, in fact if a load in it's unnatural state was applied it would certainly put more stress on the gearbox than normal driving.

Tony A

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
With engine off and ignition on you can still select gears.
I am not sure. You can certainly move the control lever, but without the engine running I don't think the hydraulic system will be running to effect the changes. I may be wrong......

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I am not sure. You can certainly move the control lever, but without the engine running I don't think the hydraulic system will be running to effect the changes. I may be wrong......
On my 2nd Comformatic does it on both. It uses electrical actuators to change gear you can hear them selecting the gears.

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
All in all i think fiat handbrakes are not the best the creaking is the M/H moving when the H/B is on, on the levellers, i parked on shallow slope and had to pull the H/B out off the floor to hold it will be buying chocks at my next M/H show, M/H done 5500 mls 9 months old.
Bill

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
All in all i think fiat handbrakes are not the best the creaking is the M/H moving when the H/B is on, on the levellers, i parked on shallow slope and had to pull the H/B out off the floor to hold it will be buying chocks at my next M/H show, M/H done 5500 mls 9 months old.
Bill
I always use chocks when on ramps. Because I dont drive due to poor eyesight Gwen drives up onto the ramps and holds it on the footbrake while I whack the chocks in. Job done, no rollback.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back