Driving in the Highlands

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
I've just read a post on Scottishwildcampers/Facebook about someone not happy being stuck in traffic by Lochcarron.

There has been a landslide, not uncommon on that road, and the usual (read only) diversion is about 140 miles. So the wait can be an hour or two depending on traffic and rail traffic as the road has to use the rail track.

If anyone is coming up here, then diversions will be loooooooooooooooooong as we don't have many roads. This isn't the south of England with lots of roads and even........motorways, heck the only dual carriageway is the A9.

So come up, enjoy the views, chill out and have a great time.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
When we were up your way they were doing lots of road words around Loch Lomond.
It caused ques but whats the rush anyway :)

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
When we travel south, it's quite noticeable how the traffic builds up around Lancaster and then just gets worse all the way south on the M6.
When we bought our van, we left Hereford heading north towards Lancaster for our first stop, it took us 6 hours just to get to Manchester the traffic was horrendous.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Here in the South West of Scotland they're re-surfacing a road next week, diversion is 55 miles.

Ivory55

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
That recent land slide was 50 or 60 miles diversion wasn’t it ? Our friends said that was one of the problems when there was an accident when they was going to or from work the detour was always miles around.

kelpie

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Here in the South West of Scotland they're re-surfacing a road next week, diversion is 55 miles.
Which road?. I'm going to Glentrool next Tuesday. Going from Paisley via Irvine and Girvan.
Thanks
John

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I've just read a post on Scottishwildcampers/Facebook about someone not happy being stuck in traffic by Lochcarron.

There has been a landslide, not uncommon on that road, and the usual (read only) diversion is about 140 miles. So the wait can be an hour or two depending on traffic and rail traffic as the road has to use the rail track.

If anyone is coming up here, then diversions will be loooooooooooooooooong as we don't have many roads. This isn't the south of England with lots of roads and even........motorways, heck the only dual carriageway is the A9.

So come up, enjoy the views, chill out and have a great time.
As you say it's not uncommon on that road . I the road was closed one of the times I was up there and we just spent the night in the layby overlooking the loch and the road was opened next morning.

It is a fair treck to go the other road but if you've a motorhome makes sense to just park up and enjoy the view till it's reopened
The road guys are usually on the ball quick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
That recent land slide was 50 or 60 miles diversion wasn’t it ? Our friends said that was one of the problems when there was an accident when they was going to or from work the detour was always miles around.
There's a few roads like that in Scotland:)
It adds to the charm

Ivory55

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I think it was part of the reason that they moved to Inverness to save getting caught in road closures on the way home.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I think it was part of the reason that they moved to Inverness to save getting caught in road closures on the way home.
Aye I have to admit if I lived there it would be a nightmare

But when on holiday there's no rush lol

kelpie

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
But which way from Girvan....
Over the Moor or down the coast
Going to turn left at last roundabout , signposted Newton Stewart, A714 through Pinwherrie, I think.
John

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It's the A714, shut for six hours a day next week. Check the Traffic Scotland website, it should have the details.

Depending where the works are you may be okay or may have to go via Dalmelington.

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
It's the hills that get in the way, along with less population, the cost of putting tunnels through would be horrendous for the 'few' that would use the roads.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Looks like the boring coast road then Kelpie.

There are a few 'cut throughs' from the coast road to the A 714 in various places but I've never driven any and you need to know just where the A714 road closures are at any time.
Probably easier to head straight down towards Stranraer then back across to Newton Stewart and up to Bargrennan if it's urgent. Maybe another 40 or 50 Miles but good roads providing you don't hit lots of ferry HGVs doing 40mph

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Busybuilder says, This isn't the south of England with lots of roads and even........motorways, heck the only dual carriageway is the A9.

You obviously need to get out more, lots of dual carriageways, A90 Perth to Aberdeen is one at approx. 90 miles, A92 Glenrothes to Dunfermline, and of course the A9 Dunblane to Inverness as you say is mostly dual carriageway !! Know not a lot way up north but they are not needed there as roads are so quite anyway lol !!

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
Busybuilder says, This isn't the south of England with lots of roads and even........motorways, heck the only dual carriageway is the A9.

You obviously need to get out more, lots of dual carriageways, A90 Perth to Aberdeen is one at approx. 90 miles, A92 Glenrothes to Dunfermline, and of course the A9 Dunblane to Inverness as you say is mostly dual carriageway !! Know not a lot way up north but they are not needed there as roads are so quite anyway lol !!

Agree, but we are talking Highlands.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
You tak the high road n al tak the low road an al be in.......nope cancel that theres bin a landslide.
You bash oan al si the next week

Ivory55

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Looks like the boring coast road then Kelpie.

There are a few 'cut throughs' from the coast road to the A 714 in various places but I've never driven any and you need to know just where the A714 road closures are at any time.
Probably easier to head straight down towards Stranraer then back across to Newton Stewart and up to Bargrennan if it's urgent. Maybe another 40 or 50 Miles but good roads providing you don't hit lots of ferry HGVs doing 40mph
I would like to know where all these Irish registered 40 mph hgv trucks heading for the ferry are. Your more likely to get overtaken by them then stuck behind them. Haha

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I would like to know where all these Irish registered 40 mph hgv trucks heading for the ferry are. Your more likely to get overtaken by them then stuck behind them. Haha
Yip.
Last week cruise control on and set at 50mph (the maximum for us on the single carriageway A75) only to get cut up by an Irish artic overtaking and having to pull in as oncoming traffic came around the bend!
From Gretna to the Cairnryan turn-off was passed by around 10 wagons (mostly on the overtaking lane sections) so the speed limit signs are worth more in scrap alloy value than as signs!
Having been passed by all these wagons caught most of them up again as they were "queued up" behind one actually sticking to the speed limit.
Maybe they should move the VOSA checkpoint (which I've never seen open) to the ferry terminal and have it manned permanently doing regular spot checks of tachos?

Ivory55

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yip.
Last week cruise control on and set at 50mph (the maximum for us on the single carriageway A75) only to get cut up by an Irish artic overtaking and having to pull in as oncoming traffic came around the bend!
From Gretna to the Cairnryan turn-off was passed by around 10 wagons (mostly on the overtaking lane sections) so the speed limit signs are worth more in scrap alloy value than as signs!
Having been passed by all these wagons caught most of them up again as they were "queued up" behind one actually sticking to the speed limit.
Maybe they should move the VOSA checkpoint (which I've never seen open) to the ferry terminal and have it manned permanently doing regular spot checks of tachos?
You can not be prosecuted on speed using a tacho only. It can be used to back up evidence. If they have a magnet on the gearbox it will not show anyway. Haha

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You can not be prosecuted on speed using a tacho only. It can be used to back up evidence. If they have a magnet on the gearbox it will not show anyway. Haha
:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Back