Drive through rouen help? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
bailey
Hi we are driving from calis to spain first stop le mans so through rouen but now panicing as seen there is a very low tunnel which we need to avoid. We are mh 2.75m high does anyone know the height limit. Thanks

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Hi we are driving from calis to spain first stop le mans so through rouen but now panicing as seen there is a very low tunnel which we need to avoid. We are mh 2.75m high does anyone know the height limit. Thanks
Over many years we have not found a sensible alternative to bypass Rouen. The motorway becomes Dual carriageway at the city's edge and drops down through a tunnel. Exit this in the inside lane and in 1.5km take the 3rd exit signed to Vernon. The slip road ends in traffic lights - go in the centre lane to turn left across a dual carriageway. You should now be in the right hand lane for the next set of lights. Go straight on then bear right onto the D6015 signed for Vernon. In a little while the Seine appears on your right and you are clear of the City

This one hasnt failed me

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Been through there on our motorcycles, can’t remember the height…….but it’s low.

I believe there is a detour route, or you can go up and around the roundabout and back on the road, but haven’t been there for a few years.

I’m sure someone with more recent knowledge will be along soon. (y)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Copied from another thread…..can’t guarantee it‘s the right one, but looks like the one we used on our bikes.

6FCC1ADC-E236-46CF-86B1-C2155456B36A.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
From my N10 route guide.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return

Get in the left hand lane as you approach Rouen and it will take you across the bridge. Job done.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
We did this route about 5 weeks ago. We approached Rouen on the dual carriageway N28 I think it is. For a good distance before, there was frequent warnings of tunnel works and nothing over 3.5 tonne. Bring mavericks at 3650 we went for it anyway. Absolutely no issues getting through the tunnel. Can’t remember exactly what happens next but you follow the river/railway through an industrial area and you’re on your way. I think it’s the same route as suavecarve suggests. We’ve transited both ways through Rouen a good few times and never come across the low tunnel.

Edit: sat nav said we were travelling through an environmental area.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
I
we are going that way in a couple of days. I’ve been looking at the A28 ( we have done n154 before) and at the low emission zone
there seems to me to be two corridors through the emission zone
down The N 28 but across the Seine not the first left hand bank
or using the A151 and the n 1338 and N 338 to hit the A13

anyone done this recently? I think I saw LennyB goes that route?
any tunnels that way?

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Been there done that!. 4 years ago I followed the satnav instruction "turn left and go through the tunnel". I had to reverse 150 metres before I could get out again! Nightmare. If you follow your satnav, just ignore the tunnel instruction and continue straight on. It appears these tunnels are just a by-pass for some traffic lights and you will carry on the same route anyway, just going through traffic lights instead - that's all.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
The simplest way used to be described as the cow roundabout - but the cows have now been removed after the yellow vests damaged them !!!

Don't turn off the main dual carriageway from Abbeyville, you will come to a large dual tunnel that is around 4m ++ - lots of trucks go through it so there are no issues.

Stay in the right hand lane as you go through the tunnel and DO NOT change lanes once you get through. The road becomes 3 and even 4 lanes for short stretches but just stay in the lane you're in. That lane eventually filters off to the right, taking you where you want to be. Just follow that road which now becomes a dual carriageway with a couple of garages for fuel, past the railway tracks and industrial area. Just keep going through a few sets of traffic lights and across the 'cow' roundabout (you will see a BnM store to your left!!) - just follow the signs for Caen/Le Mans.

If you follow the signs for Paris for one junction, it takes you to a large shopping centre where fuel is a lot cheaper and there's a couple of fast food oultlets but more importantly it's an easy place to take a break. It's only one junction out of your way but it's worth it for cheaper fuel.

When you come back just follow the signs for Calais and it will take you along the same route and will avoid the low tunnels.

I suggest you take a look at Google maps or a road atlas prior to travelling - it's not the nightmare some people describe it as!

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
From my N10 route guide.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return

Get in the left hand lane as you approach Rouen and it will take you across the bridge. Job done.
Beware the second exit after crossing the river does not exist anymore, there is only 1 exit now.

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
Some years ago now, but we managed to find ample diesel at a small petrol station on the road (going north) that goes along side the railway line. Most of the other garages had limited, if any supplies as the French fuel strikes were on. Might be useful if supplies are short elsewhere in northern France.
Sue

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Unless you're in a blinding hurry (I never am) I suggest avoiding Rouen completely and not primarily on account of the tunnel. You won't miss anything as the road passes mainly through commercial and industrial premises and the only slightly 'interesting' bit is crossing the river but you'll be so occupied looking at where you need to go you won't have time for the view. Anyway, there are plenty more rivers to see.
I never use autoroutes either but must admit that I find the never-ending roundabouts a bit tedious.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
No mention of emission zone? Have I got that wrong?
If I haven’t the the D915 isn’t a Corridor through.
We are not the most ecologically friendly…
Curt air came back 5 though we are sure it should be 4

Dec 18, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Elddis 185
Exp
since 2010
Rouen now needs a Crit air sticker, worth getting as it’s cheap and lasts for the life of the Vechile

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
the A151 and the n 1338 and N 338 to hit the A13
Yep that's what we do, did it on Sunday.
We have been going through for 40 years and of all the routes it is by far the easiest about a a km on normal roads the rest is all dual carriageway or Autoroute.

1582048124127.png

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
A few years ago one of the bridges in Rouen was closed. Detours were very iffy. Now all flows well. Using my Garmin sat navigation, it is easy. I am over 3 Metres high and used the tunnel which Garmin took me through, following several large lorries.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back