Dometic frideg (1 Viewer)

Nov 9, 2015
Addingham, West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
New camper and fridge failed to cool this week wasting all food in it. We were on 6amp ehu and the engineer said that could be the problem or we were not level enough! WE never ever had a problem with our THetford fridge in the old van and how can not being totally level render a fridge useless?
Will continue to monitor but may have to get Rapido to replace fridge.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sounds like the engineer hasn't got a clue, was he just speculating on the phone?

Does it work on gas and 12v (when driving)?

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
I had new one fitted last year AES8555 never worked properly "pile of poo" ,two returns to supplier no good The they had it for week found thermostat in fridge fixed on cooling fins? Moved so it hung down away from fins,now works as should (in Dometics opinion)
Lots post on here fitting fans removing vents when hot dead level.
Best of luck. Les

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I had new one fitted last year AES8555 never worked properly "pile of poo" ,two returns to supplier no good The they had it for week found thermostat in fridge fixed on cooling fins? Moved so it hung down away from fins,now works as should (in Dometics opinion)
Best of luck. Les
Our thermostat phial is on the fins, they usually are on small domestic fridges, the cut out temperatures typically - 3 to - 11c.
Anyway if it's working, great (y)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I know some fridges don't work unless pretty flat ground when on GAS but haven't heard one not working on EHU or battery. Ours does and we've been on some pretty slopping ground. Actually, fridge worked on gas there too. Some may be more sensitive but not heard a problem other than on gas.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Best of luck. Les
Your 8555 Les.. Being AES it should be auto change over. Is it ? And if it is have your got a button marked A on the panel for automatic use ?

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Your 8555 Les.. Being AES it should be auto change over. Is it ? And if it is have your got a button marked A on the panel for automatic use ?
It is running AES at ambient temp outside it was same,seems to be OK now but Spain / Portugal in January will be the test

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When on EHU have you noticed /heard the gas igniter clicking?
When on EHU when set to AES if the mains voltage is low the gas ignitor will try to light the gas but because there is mains present the gas valve will be turned off even though the voltage is too low to operate it. Stupid Dometic software.

Put it onto gas manually if it is low voltage it should run OK on gas but needs to be set manually.

OP
OP
Richard Mason
Nov 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
New camper and fridge failed to cool this week wasting all food in it. We were on 6amp ehu and the engineer said that could be the problem or we were not level enough! WE never ever had a problem with our THetford fridge in the old van and how can not being totally level render a fridge useless?
Update. We need a new fridge. Cost? Ā£2800 plus labour. Donetic must think were are stupid.
Im going to have to bešŸ˜©

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
ive not seen a fridge that expensive generally 500 to 1200 what model is it
This isn't just any fridge, it's a Donetic which is much, much posher than a Dometic one especially it being in a Rapido! šŸ˜„ :imoutahere:

OP
OP
Richard Mason
Nov 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
The end result;is the fridge is being replaced at a cost of Ā£2500 and the dealer will I hope pay 850 as thatā€™s 5he cost of a used fridge 8n ebay. Thatā€™s when the clutch is fitted by Stoneacre. 1 week on order and itā€™s been literally uo in the air since!

OP
OP
Richard Mason
Nov 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
Update.
So itā€™s the cooler matrix which canā€™t be sourced meaning I have to pay 2600 for a replacement to be fitted. In my mind thatā€™s criminal.
if anyone has any ideas how to get one Iā€™d appreciate them please.

thanks for all the advice.

OP
OP
Richard Mason
Nov 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
Update.
So itā€™s the cooler matrix which canā€™t be sourced meaning I have to pay 2600 for a replacement to be fitted. In my mind thatā€™s criminal.
if anyone has any ideas how to get one Iā€™d appreciate them please.

thanks for all the advice.
Just to confirm the direct replacement for my RM7655 is the RMD10.5T.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
In the classified ads on here is an rmd8505 tower unit for Ā£600.
Is the cooler matrix the same? Or could it be shoehorned in?

Edit, obviously all arranged so too late with this idea, that probably isnt same size......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Richard Mason
Nov 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
In the classified ads on here is an rmd8505 tower unit for Ā£600.
Is the cooler matrix the same? Or could it be shoehorned in?

Edit, obviously all arranged so too late with this idea, that probably isnt same size......
Thanks Sandra. My fridge has had little use as vans only done 13000 miles. I am concerned about spending mone6 on second hand gear as I ma6 well repea5 the issue. To be honest Id prefer not to have to use Dometic as their products are overpriced and rubbish from my experience.. Iā€™m finding it hard to press go on buying a fridge for Ā£2600 when 90% of it is BETTER built than new ones. Thanks thoughšŸ‘šŸ»

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Is this real, thread started in 2017 and still need a fridge.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
One much cheaper option is remove the absorption plant and fit a compressor kit in it...

Screenshot_20211102-101309_Opera.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Is this real, thread started in 2017 and still need a fridge.

I think they have been 'living' with the issue:

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
My Thetford 3-way Fridge started playing up in July I think?
3 weeks later, new 240V Compressor Fridge in place. Ā£270 :)

Just saying ... consider options ;)

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Iā€™ve had a similar issue, that several techs failed to identify or fix, DMS at Nuneaton however diagnosed a failed cooler unit, they keep many of these parts in stock, but not the one for ours. They have good connections to Dometic in Germany who shipped the unit within ten days which they fitted last week. The repair cost approximately Ā£1100, which is an eye watering amount, but perhaps half of a replacement fridge.

OP
OP
Richard Mason
Nov 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
My Thetford 3-way Fridge started playing up in July I think?
3 weeks later, new 240V Compressor Fridge in place. Ā£270 :)

Just saying ... consider options ;)
i have but after replacing any part thatā€™s still available there was onl6 one option. The local engineer is having those bits back but Dometic really donā€™t care.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back