Dometic B2200 Problem and possible solution? (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I have a Dometic B2200 Air conditioner fitted.
Thought I might test it today.
On powering up it runs for maybe a second or two and then the fan slows (but remains running) and a single red flashing LED is displayed on the indicator. This would normally display amber when on standby and green when operating.

Looking this up in my manual it tells me that Red (1 flick) indicates the E1 internal temperature probe is malfunctioning.

I guess this could be exactly what it says the probe has failed.
I have tried a lot of Googling , unable to track one down as I write.

Or could it be another fault mode ? Its very very hot on the roof and it could be just registering ' out of range' etc.

Google tells me it is not an unknown issue.

can any kind Funster shed any light please?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have fresh jet 2200 and seems to have similar issues, together with the shutting down and red light issues we have a problem with it pulling far too many watts ie last it shut down my energy monitor was on just over 2000watts and it shouldn’t pull much more than 800 as far as I can tell, of course Dometic don’t seem to know anything about it😏

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Yes , it could be that part.
I have found a Dometic temperature sensor/probe in a few places, one I think the same place. I will check.
I've since removed the inner housing can't see anything that looks like the part I found.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
We have fresh jet 2200 and seems to have similar issues, together with the shutting down and red light issues we have a problem with it pulling far too many watts ie last it shut down my energy monitor was on just over 2000watts and it shouldn’t pull much more than 800 as far as I can tell, of course Dometic don’t seem to know anything about it😏
Just thinking about it. Both of our units are demarcated as 2200 which I think means their maximum cooling rate or consumption is 2200 Watts , so maybe your unit on maximum will pull that amount of power , equivalent to about 8 Amps at 240v ac ?

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Well, I've ordered what I hope is the correct probe/sensor.

and some push rivets for the external cover.

The probe is listed out of stock but they order one for you, I hope.

I understand a set of 'Dometic' push rivets cost about £45 if you can find any, what a rip off.
I've already removed and refitted a push rivet so I know I can refit the cover if I can not fix the unit.

I removed the inner cover which reveals amongst other things the 3 probe connections. All identical. Lets hope the probes are.

I will post further how I get on. It could be useful, even if it ends up documenting what not to do.

The only other references I could find were some in Australia which mention drilling a hole in the cover to replace the probe. I hope this is because the cover could not be removed for some reason.

It's an old unit now so if it proves unrepairable , then I intend to fit a Maxfan in it's place.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I removed the inner cover which reveals amongst other things the 3 probe connections. All identical. Lets hope the probes are.
You could unplug the probes and meter the resistance to test them... Assuming they are all at a similar temperature the resistances should be similar on all 3.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
You could unplug the probes and meter the resistance to test them... Assuming they are all at a similar temperature the resistances should be similar on all 3.
I would agree , I guess they are thermistors , so yes all 3 should have the same resistance at the same temperature. I live in hope.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Well an update.
Received the probe today , it is the correct part as far as I can make out.
Easily removed the cover by drilling a 1.5mm hole in the expansion pin in the centre and then using the hole and a small screw to pull the pin outwards , releasing the rivet/fixing. There are 6. Just as easily refitted.

Examining the PCB I could only find one socket which would accept the probes fitting. This was the probe ,the 'probe' end (a small brass finished cylinder) slips inside a short length of tube on the side of the heat exchanger for the interior air. So simple to fit.

However , to my disappointment , it does not fix the problem. I now suspect the one red flash could also indicate other problems , not described in the manual, like a faulty PCB?

I can hear a relay clicking just as the fault light goes on.

All the capacitors visible looked Ok, none were swollen.

If I was experimenting , it would be a new PCB next , however , they are anything from £350 to £450 with no certainty it would fix the problem, so I think it's the end of the road for my B2200.

I'm going to replace it with a Maxxair fan , which uses the same 400 x 400 roof aperture , thank God, they all do.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If the compressor and fans run OK you could strip all the electronics off it and fit a commercial controller 😎👌

Elitech Digital Temperature... Amazon product ASIN B087NF5LVX
If you're scrapping it anyway you've got nothing to lose.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Well , the Maxxairfan is now fitted.
No real problems, fairly easy.
I fitted their screen as well.
As others have commented the screen is not outstanding.
IMG_20220826_084843_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220826_084822_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Fan looks good 👍
Shame about the B2200 fix not working
Yes it is but it was 14 years old.
If you want any bits let me know.
The cooling circuit was working fine. I think there was a fault in the PCB . But that's £400 with no certainly of a fix.

Oct 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Hi
My recirculating fan is failing, so I would be grateful for that part if you are splitting it up- or the whole thing if you are not…..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back