LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We're completely new to motorhomes, we went to the Shepton Mallet show last month thinking that we definitely wanted a fixed bed, double or twin and a "proper" motorhome (not having got as far as which type); we came away and on the way home in the car, later that evening and the next day came to the conclusion that actually we wanted a rear lounge and a panel van conversion. We did look at a couple of vans but didn't like the dinette at the front and so the online search started.

Having found that its possible to get a 2 belt, 2 berth van we've found 4:
Swift Select 122
Auto-Trail V-Line 610 SE
Auto-Sleepers Warwick Duo
Vantage Sol

Not so sure about the Warwick Duo as I don't like the back of the washroom obstructing the light when the sliding van door is open.

We don't have a problem making up beds at night.

But what we can't work out is what to do with the dogs when we're travelling! We did think about a crate but the one we have in the CRV (used for general travelling and dog walks) isn't really big enough for longer periods plus its heavy and we'd have to keep putting it down when parked up. We have dog beds in every shape and size known to man (and his dog) but none of them would work in the floor space, plus again a pain when we're parked up. There are no dinette seats to harness them to although there is the lounge area, however if they get off while we're moving then we could (probably) get the Schnoodle back up with lots of shouting as he's long in leg and quite bouncy, but the Border Terrier doesn't like jumping up onto things which are steep sided or much higher than she is.

So, what do other people do with their dogs when travelling?

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Caged every time we move ,My brother just lost his dog ,plugged in harness on the front seat( Which for us ,he should never have done ).my brother had to break hard through no fault of his own eledgedly. The dog still harnessed slid forward on the seat and broke its back .My brother lost his dog and is still devastated. A very solom lesson to learn ,always make sure your animals are secure and safe to avoid heartbreak.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Vantage sol is a lovely van, we very nearly bought one.

What dogs do you have? How many and what size?

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We used a folding metal cage for a few years but now changed to a harness connected to an anchor point I fitted.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Vantage sol is a lovely van, we very nearly bought one.

What dogs do you have? How many and what size?
2 dogs, a Schnoodle and a Border Terrier - as shown in my Avatar :)

The Schnoodle is about the size of a cocker spaniel, long in leg with his body more like a poodle than a schnauzer (hence Schnoodle!)

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We harness our Bernese Mountain Dog on the dinette seats when she's travelling. I know you may find this useless information, however, all you need is an anchor point. find somewhere solid, and attach a seat belt anchor point, and then attach doggy to it! :D

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
2 dogs, a Schnoodle and a Border Terrier - as shown in my Avatar :)

The Schnoodle is about the size of a cocker spaniel, long in leg with his body more like a poodle than a schnauzer (hence Schnoodle!)

So your options will be either the bench seats or the floor. As has been suggested they could both wear harnesses then you either attach them to a ring bolt in the floor or somewhere down low or at the rear of the seat.

Or if they are crate trained use a fabric crate that folds down for storage when not in use.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No seatbelt loops because we'll have a 2 belt 2 berth van, so while we could harness them there's nothing to attach to.

Ours go on the floor between the front seats with the belt loops over the driver and passenger seat belt clips

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
o, what do other people do with their dogs when travelling?

Our bichon/caniche is secured via his truss to one of the additional seat belts on a side "bench". He has the choice of travelling in his basket on the floor or on the bench itself, the latter being his preferred choice when Mme's sliding window is open and he can stick his nose into the fresh air.

When parked, his bed is pushed into the space between the cab seats.

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Good post, I will need to think about our Collie, who hates cars and curls up into the tightest ball you can imagine

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is the sort of anchor point I fitted. It obviously needs to be suitably attached to something strong - ours is screwed into part of the van's bodywork. This is fairly easy to do in a PVC but possibly harder in a coach built. In which case the floor is probably the best place.

images.jpg

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
No seatbelt loops because we'll have a 2 belt 2 berth van, so while we could harness them there's nothing to attach to.
My two travel on the lower bunk bed. They have harnesses and are attached to a running line i rigged up the length of the bed. They can move up and down, but cannot come off the bed. Not that they do move, just up, stretch, turn, lay down and re curl. Unfortunately the system has been functionally test more than once and have worked all the time. Check the line every time I go into the Garage area and the seatbelt clips just hang up on a strap when not in use.

Upvote 0

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
makes sure the Anchor point is STEEL
a 30 or 40lb dog accelerating to 50 or 60 mph puts enormous stain on the anchor point

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Caged every time we move ,My brother just lost his dog ,plugged in harness on the front seat( Which for us ,he should never have done ).my brother had to break hard through no fault of his own eledgedly. The dog still harnessed slid forward on the seat and broke its back .My brother lost his dog and is still devastated. A very solom lesson to learn ,always make sure your animals are secure and safe to avoid heartbreak.
I am so sorry to hear that, he obviously thought he was doing the right thing ...

This is something that all dog owners who use harnesses ON seats should think about ... if the harness strap means the dog can move around and it's 'bottom' slide off the seat/bed etc, which I assume is what happened in in the above. Best to do a 'test' emergency stop, not literally, but put the dog in the harness on the seat and they gently pull the dog forward to see where it stops ... if it's near to the edge of the seat don't use the harness on the seat as the force in an actual collision is likely to be much greater and the strap with give a bit so the dog could end up flying off the seat.

Our little dogs either travel on my lap, or they and the big one lie in the beds on the floor between the cab seats, in a bed under the side-facing dinette seat (bulkhead would stop any fore/aft 'flying'), or in a bed behind the passenger seat (again this would prevent them 'flying' around). I know people say they 'should' be caged or secured but we find this works for us as no way could we cage all 3 ... personally I don't 'like' harnesses due to the above risk especially since in order for the dogs to be able to get comfortable they need some slack to sit up/lay down etc.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We use a harness with leads attached and said leads passed twice round the table leg at the back of the forward facing seats. Then they are free to lie r dit on the floor. They generally snuggle down together to sleep. At night they sleep in fabric crates which fold down during the day.

Upvote 0

Lost Sun

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
I'm not trying to upset anyone and I wouldn't suggest anyone is doing anything wrong, we all have free choice but you may want to be aware of the following part of UK driving law (taken from gov.uk today)

Rule 57
When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

So yes, it is not legal to drive with a dog unrestrained. I understand why some people do it, but that's a matter for them. If there's an accident, then that's obviously another matter for the police or your insurance company. For me it has to be a crate or harness, no exceptions.

Simon

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for all the replies, really given us something to think about.

We definitely don't want them loose when we're travelling, if we could fix a ring then a harness and bed would work well, and I'd want to crate them at night as they're nice to have for morning cuddles but far too hot and wriggly for the whole night!

I guess it depends what van/layout we decide on, but lots of food for thought.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There is alleged to be a similar rule in France but, of course, it does not apply to dogs travelling on the front seat of a Citroen C15 van.
... of course not, who else would be sober enough to drive home from the bar ....:D2

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Wouldn’t they fit in an overhead locker?

:)

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Our dog is sometimes harnessed in but he prefers to be caged. So we took the large table out of the dining area and put the cage on the floor where the table was. When settled on a site he is allowed to walk around motorhome. After setting up we put the cage on one of the seats not being used and when he's tired we leave the cage door open and he jumps in it.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Firstly with regard to the van itself. The dogs will adapt to any layout. But you humans should decide how you are going to use it. If you are expecting to tour by moving around different places every day or every other day then a PVC is an excellent choice regardless of layout. It will give you flexibility to park it in towns and villages and go down narrow lanes just like any parcel delivery van does. If you are going to sit in it enjoying the Spanish sun or Alpine snow in the one place for weeks on end then a larger coachbuilt with a fixed bed and garage is better. Its all a compromise.
Our Dalmatian died in May and he loved travelling in the van and we secured his harness to a purpose built anchor point just behind us. We now have the "Young Pretender" who is 12 weeks old ( another spotty dog) and will hopefully use a travel crate while he is growing up and maybe move to the previous arrangement when fully grown (so the harness will fit properly).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Firstly with regard to the van itself. The dogs will adapt to any layout. But you humans should decide how you are going to use it. If you are expecting to tour by moving around different places every day or every other day then a PVC is an excellent choice regardless of layout. It will give you flexibility to park it in towns and villages and go down narrow lanes just like any parcel delivery van does. If you are going to sit in it enjoying the Spanish sun or Alpine snow in the one place for weeks on end then a larger coachbuilt with a fixed bed and garage is better. Its all a compromise.
Our Dalmatian died in May and he loved travelling in the van and we secured his harness to a purpose built anchor point just behind us. We now have the "Young Pretender" who is 12 weeks old ( another spotty dog) and will hopefully use a travel crate while he is growing up and maybe move to the previous arrangement when fully grown (so the harness will fit properly).
We've been up to the NEC today and looked at the PVCs that I'd previously identified as being right for what we want, of course we still want a Vantage Sol but as we won't be buying anything for another year there's still plenty of time to change our minds. Vantage can fit a D ring which when not in use is flat into its housing and so flat to the floor, the dimensions of the van would mean that we would be able to have both of them behind the seats by the door, harnessed and in a dog bed and there's no reason why they can't stay down that end at night as well. We could have another D ring in the storage area at the back and that also gives the option of having them attached via lead at either the back or side when we're outside the van.

We are planning to tour and love country lanes rather than sitting in the sunshine for more than a few hours hence the PVC decision straight away, there's less storage but as you say its all about compromise.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back