Do you have a western Digital My Book external hard drive/storage? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Better read this if you care about your data.

They are being remotely wiped and factory reset by malware it seems.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Better read this if you care about your data.

They are being remotely wiped and factory reset by malware it seems.

I can confirm that……..one of mine has been hit 😢

Both of the MyCloud drives were untouched…..but they probably have newer firmware.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
one of mine has been hit
Sorry to hear this.

There is talk that the files are still there and you can do a partition restore to recover everything although I don't know the details.
If you try to do a file level recovery you risk losing everything.

Whatever you do, you need to do this before using the drive in anyway as that can overwrite "deleted" data.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The WD community thread.

Last edited:

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
Mine's been hit as well. Disappointed as all the remote access features and data streaming had been turned off. Apparently WD firmware regularly talks to WD irrespective of user settings! Fortunately I have 2 NAS devices, the other is a Buffalo linkstation, so I haven't lost anything.

Need a replacement for the WD, anybody got any suggestions. I would like to go with something other than Buffalo or WD for just this eventuality.

Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
Mine's been hit as well. Disappointed as all the remote access features and data streaming had been turned off. Apparently WD firmware regularly talks to WD irrespective of user settings! Fortunately I have 2 NAS devices, the other is a Buffalo linkstation, so I haven't lost anything.

Need a replacement for the WD, anybody got any suggestions. I would like to go with something other than Buffalo or WD for just this eventuality.
I recently purchased a Samsung T7. "Just" 1 TB but v. small and portable. Only had it a couple of weeks but it does the job. No issues (yet?).
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Nice one on the redundant backups AND for wanted a variety of manufacturers to they don't all get hit with the same bug at the same time.

I wish all my clients worked like you do :)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I read this story shortly after it was posted. Mildly irked as I was away in the motorhome and I am a WD My Live backup disk owner.
But now I'm home, luckily the data is still on the disk :phew:

Not sure why our WD drive isn't affected. I wasn't using a cloud part of the feature set but that wasn't a scenario reported as safe from the incident.

Anyway, it's off now until WD report back on the state of play. :LOL:
This WD news story could be where updates get put.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ok, more details are coming out. Seems they were hacked by 2 different hacker groups and there was incredible incompetence on the part of Western Digital.

They actually commented out the authentified check code. So it skipped the bit that says are you allowed to do this? If not bugger off. and they commented it out in the code.

DOH!!!!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Advisory Summary​

At this time, we recommend you disconnect your My Book Live and My Book Live Duo from the Internet to protect your data on the device by following these instructions on our Knowledge Base.

We have heard customer concerns that the current My Cloud OS 5 and My Cloud Home series of devices may be affected. These devices use a newer security architecture and are not affected by the vulnerabilities used in this attack. We recommend that eligible My Cloud OS 3 users upgrade to OS 5 to continue to receive security updates for your device

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
:banghead: The updated WD news story suggests owners of affected My Book Live owners trade in for a newer WD cloud solution or leave their current one turned off. :eek:

In better news they do plan a data recovery method.

WD suggest effected users had left the My Book Live open to the internet with port forwarding. I don’t do that so when the dust settles I’ll look at going back to leaving it turned on. And then next replacing it.

edit: grammar

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
:banghead: The updated WD news story suggests owners of affected My Book Live owners trade in for a newer WD cloud solution or leave their current one turned off. :eek:

In better news they do plan a data recovery method.

WD suggest effected users had left the My Book Live open TP to the internet with port forwarding. I don’t do that so when the dust settles I’ll look at going back to leaving it turned on. And then next replacing it.
Whilst it can be argued it’s not acceptable it’s not the first time a system has been hacked and data wiped. People tend not to run older PC’s such as win 95 because of vulnerabilities so any sustem should always be kept up to date hardware and software wise ✅ (bit of a pain though).

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Now updated with effected My Book Live products.
My Book Live: WDBACG0030HCH WDBACG0020HCH WDBACG0010HCH

My Book Live Duo: WDBVHT0080JCH WDBVHT0060JCH WDBVHT0040JCH

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Still waiting to read about WD's effected users trade-in.
Reference for that comment =
WD said:
My Book Live users will also be offered a trade-in program to upgrade to a supported My Cloud device.
After a couple of attempts to find a more modern replacement for my WDBACG0010HCH I am at a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra 4TB Pre Configured 2-Bay NAS
Despite looking at any manufacturer BEFORE considering WD again :eek: :think:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Ivr had 4 WD hard drives fail.
Weirdly enough I had a Toshiba drive fail and a seagate and a Lacie I don't think WD is unique in this. I did have a WD drive fail 6 months outside the 3 year warranty and they kindly replaced it.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Still waiting to read about WD's effected users trade-in.
Reference for that comment =

After a couple of attempts to find a more modern replacement for my WDBACG0010HCH I am at a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra 4TB Pre Configured 2-Bay NAS
Despite looking at any manufacturer BEFORE considering WD again :eek: :think:
Its run on different software and the only device that cannot be compromised is the one not connected to the internet.

Seagate NAS hack should scare us all

New QNAP NAS flaws exploited in recent Qlocker ransomware attacks

Ransomware crooks hit Synology NAS devices with brute-force password attack​

There loads more ......

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
WD have a poor reputation for reliability... I had one fail at a critical time and found out too late that many other peeps had had similar issues.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
WD have a poor reputation for reliability... I had one fail at a critical time and found out too late that many other peeps had had similar issues.
its a view but what does the market say.... Best and worst.....WD is not the worst

'The company has also broken it down by drive model on their blog. The Hitachi GST Deskstar (7K2000, 5K3000, and 7K3000) had the lowest annual failure rates, from 0.9% to 1.1%. Meanwhile, the Seagate Barracuda Green had a whopping 120% annual failure rate (an average age of 0.8 years). While those were warranty replacement drives—likely refurbished ones already used—the other Seagate drives had failure rates between 3.8% and 25.4%.

Overall, most of the drives survived for at least three years, but looking at this data, you might want to consider going with a Hitachi or WD drive instead of Seagate, unless you read other reviews of a specific drive's reliability'

Screenshot 2021-07-02 at 21.35.33.png

Screenshot 2021-07-02 at 21.34.42.png

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Yes, I understand. They aren't the worst but many have reported similar issues to mine.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Yes, I understand. They aren't the worst but many have reported similar issues to mine.
Yup I’ve had a drive fail from Wd on my Nas but it’s a raid array and can afford multiple disc failure without data loss but then again professionally for customers who have spent huge sums on it stuff have had drives fail from all sorts of venders.

Many consumers blame a disc failure on the manufacturer and the reality is they have had a Power glitch or power cut, this can cause disc to crash and go faulty however if they were connected to standby power along with something such as APC with thier power chute (connected to the WD NAS) allows a soft shutdown and protects the discs (whoever the disc manufacturer is) if there is a power glitch. (A disc may not immediately fail)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

I have been following backblazes stats for many years. I got my first HGST drive around 10 years ago and it is still going strong. Since that first one then reading the backblaze reports I have bought 2 more of them. All 3 still going well.
Other size may not have the same high reliability from memory. But I don't like using drives that are too large anyway as restoring a backup takes longer the bigger the drive and the more chance of a cascading failure.

On linux we don't use drive letters so this is not an issue. I can simply mount additional drives onto the existing file system and simply increase the size that way.

I did however make the mistake 2 years ago of buying an archive drive which uses shingled technology. SOOOOOO slow it takes forever to back up to... I make sure I don't buy shingled drives now unless it is for long term archival storage.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have been following backblazes stats for many years. I got my first HGST drive around 10 years ago and it is still going strong. Since that first one then reading the backblaze reports I have bought 2 more of them. All 3 still going well.
Other size may not have the same high reliability from memory. But I don't like using drives that are too large anyway as restoring a backup takes longer the bigger the drive and the more chance of a cascading failure.

On linux we don't use drive letters so this is not an issue. I can simply mount additional drives onto the existing file system and simply increase the size that way.

I did however make the mistake 2 years ago of buying an archive drive which uses shingled technology. SOOOOOO slow it takes forever to back up to... I make sure I don't buy shingled drives now unless it is for long term archival storage.
Here is a 6TB drive being rebuilt 566 minutes, I know people say go and have a coffee whilst the rebuild happens but it’s more a case of go and have a day trip ;) and on standby power, protecting those discs from a power glitch or outage.

606F39F7-7A28-4510-9D68-8C84DB887A7F.png

C730C930-C15F-4818-8924-3A149677DEFF.png

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Windows also allows you to mount a hard drive to a folder rather than using a drive letter.
Not widely known or commonly used as the default option is to use a drive letter. 👍🏻
Example procedure here

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
WD said:
If you are a My Book Live or My Book Live Duo user please reach out to
@WesternDigiCare
or go to WD Support:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask
At the link, there is a basic form to fill out.
With a My Book Live or My Book Live Duo selected, the two programs relating to the data loss vulnerability are available.
As per my screenshot: -
1625304436072.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back