Do you have a western Digital My Book external hard drive/storage? (1 Viewer)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Yeah…..did that still awaiting answers to either data recovery and trade in questions😢
Pfft! WD Support say wait until the trade in details are launched...
So, This WD news story is currently up to date. 😡 :LOL:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
The trade in details are in! ;)
Western Digital said:

Trade-In Offer​

Registered customers can trade in any capacity of a Qualifying Product for one of the following products (subject to availability) at 40% off the suggested retail price:

• My Cloud Home 2TB (requires internet access)
  • My Cloud Home 4TB (requires internet access)
  • My Cloud Home 6TB (requires internet access)
  • My Cloud EX2 Ultra 2-bay NAS 4TB
  • My Cloud EX2 Ultra 2-bay NAS 8TB
More info at This link.

edit: post syntax fix :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I’ve got a WD my passport with its own wifi that I use mainly to store old family videos on, is this not a reliable machine and if not what is the recommended choice for apple iPad back up?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I’ve got a WD my passport with its own wifi that I use mainly to store old family videos on, is this not a reliable machine and if not what is the recommended choice for apple iPad back up?
That device want part of the Western Digital hack.
If you’re getting on with it OK, you can expect to carry on like that.
Are you reaching capacity? Or fancy a device with faster read writing?

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
That device want part of the Western Digital hack.
If you’re getting on with it OK, you can expect to carry on like that.
Are you reaching capacity? Or fancy a device with faster read writing?
Not near capacity but maybe a reliable easy to use spare! (y)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Got one on the office desk. Been turned off for years. Don’t know the password
Go to the online manual, same thing happened to me, there’s a bypass for the password believe it or not, well there was for me anyway! (y)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
The trade in is a nice 40% off your selected replacement WD solution.
But you need to send back your current My Book Live 1st 😯
So, I think I'll get a single bay NAS enclosure (like this QNAP) and add a Seagate 4TB drive. Approx. £210 for the two parts, but less than the WD solution I short listed. :think:

Plus, I keep the old WD Backup drive. I can put a date on it for when it was last updated & store it in the garage :LOL: (a sort of random fireproof thing).

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I think I'll get a single bay NAS enclosure (like this QNAP) and add a Seagate 4TB drive. Approx. £210 for the two parts, but less than the WD solution I short listed. :think:
I went for this Qnap solution.
Wish I’d done it earlier.
It’s a much better solution than my old My Book Live and with a great set of utilities.
Faster file transfers, malware checkers, and more sync app options. E.g. between storage devices, between the NAS & cloud.
More apps & utilities than I’ll use so bordering on bloat ware.

It’s Linux based and with a web based GUI proving a Linux like desktop. SSH is also an option.
Tl;Dr my QNAP TS-130 is a NAS were as my old WD NAS was just storage space on the network. 🤔🤪
TBF only the recent WD hack prompted me to look at replacing it. 👍🏻

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I’m still awaiting a response from WD to have my data recovered from the MyBook Live 😢

I don’t want to do anything to it till I hear from them.

On a brighter note both of my WD MyCloud drives are still both functioning as expected.

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
I've been following this with interest and would appreciate some advice from those more knowledgeable than me

I have a 2Tb WD My Book (not Live) which is now over 6 years old. Looked into this (Live) issue and decided mine wasn't vulnerable but it did make me think about potential failure of the hard drive.

I use it for music files to a streamer and backup for iTunes and photos but no documents. I tried to see if there was a way to make it go to sleep but failed. Content scan shows its usually idle but there is sound from either the drive or maybe it has an internal fan running.

I have copies of all content elsewhere but HD failure would be a nuisance if nothing else.

I read that hard drives should be NAS specific presumably in quality terms and that WD have various grades - no idea what quality is in mine.

My question to you guys is - should I be looking to replace completely now with something like the QNAP, given its age or could/should I just replace the internal hard drive? Am I living on borrowed time with it now?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I’m still awaiting a response from WD to have my data recovered from the MyBook Live 😢

I don’t want to do anything to it till I hear from them.

On a brighter note both of my WD MyCloud drives are still both functioning as expected.
Quite early on I raised a ticket about getting trade in deal.
WD Support updated the ticket to say they’d update me when the scheme was up.
They never did. 😡

In the end I followed advice in the updated WD news story at This link..
For your recovery needs this link is informative.

My final solution was to go with a QNAP enclosure and Seagate NAS drive. From Amazon ~£210 (£164 after handy vouchers 😜)

I read that hard drives should be NAS specific presumably in quality terms and that WD have various grades - no idea what quality is in mine.

My question to you guys is - should I be looking to replace completely now with something like the QNAP, given its age or could/should I just replace the internal hard drive? Am I living on borrowed time with it now?
There are NAS specific drives available.
Even though I’ve only a single drive slot I chose a NAS specific drive. The price was only a little dearer then ‘basic’ SATA drives I saw at the time of purchase.
It is worth considering a drive tailored for a NAS application but you’re only looking at small potential gains in sustained use versus things like faster burst writes, etc. I believe.🤔

As to the idea of replacing a 6 yo working solution, it is better to replace as a planned maintenance task rather than as a reaction to a failure 👍🏻

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am using a WD EX2 which was not affected by the hack but I am now being told by WD that support for this is now ending.
I will lose online access on the 15/04/2022 so looking for a replacement and avoiding WD.
Found this

Asustor NAS AS3302T 0/2HDD​

I would need to buy HDD,s as well 4TB
My experience with ASUS laptops has all ways been good, baring the bloat ware.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciate.

Chris

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I am using a WD EX2 which was not affected by the hack but I am now being told by WD that support for this is now ending.
I will lose online access on the 15/04/2022 so looking for a replacement and avoiding WD.
Found this

Chris
from posts above:
So, I think I'll get a single bay NAS enclosure (like this QNAP) and add a Seagate 4TB drive. Approx. £210 for the two parts, but less than the WD solution I short listed. :think:
I'm getting on well with the Qnap
It's basically got a mini Linux install to manage the hard drive controller and network.
Being a Linux desktop you get lots of extra apps.
Most I won't use but some will find all the extra tools useful. I can expand on that later - or there'll be those extra abilities described at the Qnap site.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Found this

Chris
Do you mean your on OS3 and WD are shutting support for that software and you need to upgrade to OS5 (I have a PR4100 and saw a note that OS3 is ending support )

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Do you mean your on OS3 and WD are shutting support for that software and you need to upgrade to OS5 (I have a PR4100 and saw a note that OS3 is ending support )
From WD OS5 upgrade info here I reckon the PR4100 does upgrade but not hchris' EX2 (the EX2 Ultra does upgrade)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
From WD OS5 upgrade info here I reckon the PR4100 does upgrade but not hchris' EX2 (the EX2 Ultra does upgrade)
I upgraded a while back and a bit of improvement on OS3 EX2100 also upgrades according to the list

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
My WD Cloud 1TB device is ten years old now and I wouldn't be surprised is it dropped dead at any moment. Buying another drive of any sort may bring more angst in the future, especially if we get power outages or hacks, or corruptions in data , while we are away in the MH. Rather than get another WD Drive ( other suppliers are available) at whatever discount they offer to replace or upgrade, is not for me. So I've opted for an online cloud service and backed everything up again, so its now in three places, ( My laptop, WD Cloud device while it lasts and in a 4TB Cloud service).

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Mine is the EX2 not the EX2 Ultra which is the recommended upgrade for the EX2 but as the Ultra has been about for 6 years no doubt it will not be long before WD drop that

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back