Diy van conversion ventilation help

Truxx

Free Member
MH
Van conversion
Exp
N00b
Hi everyone just joined to see if I can get some advice on a few things...

I'm converting my 2013 renault master into a camper/day van but I'm not sure how I should handle ventilation?
I did plan to use a basic wind driven fan but after looking at them I can imagine they'd let in a lot of water?

My van has windows all round but non of them open (other than driver and passenger fronts obviously)

Appreciate any advice on this.

Many thanks.
Dave

Richard and Ann

Funster
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
:welcome4:

Our Seitz roof light has got ventilation built in as it can be draughty when windy. That's the sum total of my ventilation knowledge but someone on here will know :)

Barclaybasher

Funster
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi everyone just joined to see if I can get some advice on a few things...

I'm converting my 2013 renault master into a camper/day van but I'm not sure how I should handle ventilation?
I did plan to use a basic wind driven fan but after looking at them I can imagine they'd let in a lot of water?

My van has windows all round but non of them open (other than driver and passenger fronts obviously)

Appreciate any advice on this.

Many thanks.
Dave

Might sound obvious but I would convert some of the windows to openers........ imagine sitting inside on a hot day

- vents will not be enough:)

OP
T

Truxx

Free Member
MH
Van conversion
Exp
N00b
:welcome4:

Our Seitz roof light has got ventilation built in as it can be draughty when windy. That's the sum total of my ventilation knowledge but someone on here will know :)
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not too keen on cutting that big a hole in the roof to be honest as my van has a roof lining which sits about 4" below the sheet metal of the roof so I'd have to make some kind of frame so it blends in...
I'll see if I can figure out how to post a pic...
Thanks
Dave

OP
T

Truxx

Free Member
MH
Van conversion
Exp
N00b
Might sound obvious but I would convert some of the windows to openers........ imagine sitting inside on a hot day

- vents will not be enough:)
By convert do you mean replace them or is it possible to actually convert them ?

OP
T

Truxx

Free Member
MH
Van conversion
Exp
N00b
The van is a renault master sl30
(I think it was originally manufactured as a minibus then converted to a 7 seater with wheel chair lift in the back)

Barclaybasher

Funster
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If possible you should fit caravan/motohome type windows that open out/up with stays to hold windows in different positions,

Go to any caravan or motorhome dealer and check out panel van conversions to get ideas as to what's needed

(y)

OP
T

Truxx

Free Member
MH
Van conversion
Exp
N00b
Problem is that it already has windows all round so it's not just a case of cutting a hole into the side panel and fitting a caravan window...
It's also got all the interior window trims aswell which I don't want to lose.

The Wino

Funster
MH
c class
Exp
Don't forget if you intend to have gas on board you will need ventilation to allow any leaks to leave the van also if you have no ventilation how will you go on with steam etc when cooking/drinks

OP
T

Truxx

Free Member
MH
Van conversion
Exp
N00b
Don't forget if you intend to have gas on board you will need ventilation to allow any leaks to leave the van also if you have no ventilation how will you go on with steam etc when cooking/drinks
Yep thats why I'm asking for advice about the best way to have ventilation...

Although I most likely won't have a fitted cooker (probably just microwave) and will boil water outside the van for the most part.
Also toying with the idea of a 12v extractor fan for when I do boil water inside.

Having said that I live in a truck 5 days a week where I boil water and cook with a small camping stove daily and never have any issues but I'd rather not risk it in my personal vehicle: )

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Homeless
Exp
Since 2005
As you were considering a wind vent which means cutting the roof you could consider a FIAMMA turbo vent
12v powered and waterproof when closed it delivers 9 m3 min and measures just 28cm x 28cm.

Google FIAMMA TURBO VENT

Richard and Ann

Funster
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Problem is that it already has windows all round so it's not just a case of cutting a hole into the side panel and fitting a caravan window...
It's also got all the interior window trims aswell which I don't want to lose.

Can you fit a Renault window exactly the same but slides open? I'm sure I've seen some slide open. You definitely need something open opposite the sliding door to get some through draught when it's hot.

Loveshack

Funster
Can you fit openable windows in rear doors?
Must be some neat products out there.
Don’t know your layout so difficult to make specific suggestions.

tacr2man

Funster
MH
Bucher Duro 6x6 motorhome
Exp
since 1968
SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians