Diy van conversion ventilation help (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Hi everyone just joined to see if I can get some advice on a few things...

I'm converting my 2013 renault master into a camper/day van but I'm not sure how I should handle ventilation?
I did plan to use a basic wind driven fan but after looking at them I can imagine they'd let in a lot of water?

My van has windows all round but non of them open (other than driver and passenger fronts obviously)

Appreciate any advice on this.

Many thanks.
Dave

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
:welcome4:

Our Seitz roof light has got ventilation built in as it can be draughty when windy. That's the sum total of my ventilation knowledge but someone on here will know :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi everyone just joined to see if I can get some advice on a few things...

I'm converting my 2013 renault master into a camper/day van but I'm not sure how I should handle ventilation?
I did plan to use a basic wind driven fan but after looking at them I can imagine they'd let in a lot of water?

My van has windows all round but non of them open (other than driver and passenger fronts obviously)

Appreciate any advice on this.

Many thanks.
Dave

Might sound obvious but I would convert some of the windows to openers........ imagine sitting inside on a hot day

- vents will not be enough:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Deleted User
:welcome4:

Our Seitz roof light has got ventilation built in as it can be draughty when windy. That's the sum total of my ventilation knowledge but someone on here will know :)
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not too keen on cutting that big a hole in the roof to be honest as my van has a roof lining which sits about 4" below the sheet metal of the roof so I'd have to make some kind of frame so it blends in...
I'll see if I can figure out how to post a pic...
Thanks
Dave

OP
OP

Deleted User
Might sound obvious but I would convert some of the windows to openers........ imagine sitting inside on a hot day

- vents will not be enough:)

By convert do you mean replace them or is it possible to actually convert them ?

OP
OP

Deleted User
The van is a renault master sl30
(I think it was originally manufactured as a minibus then converted to a 7 seater with wheel chair lift in the back)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If possible you should fit caravan/motohome type windows that open out/up with stays to hold windows in different positions,

Go to any caravan or motorhome dealer and check out panel van conversions to get ideas as to what's needed

(y)

OP
OP

Deleted User
Problem is that it already has windows all round so it's not just a case of cutting a hole into the side panel and fitting a caravan window...
It's also got all the interior window trims aswell which I don't want to lose.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don't forget if you intend to have gas on board you will need ventilation to allow any leaks to leave the van also if you have no ventilation how will you go on with steam etc when cooking/drinks

OP
OP

Deleted User
Don't forget if you intend to have gas on board you will need ventilation to allow any leaks to leave the van also if you have no ventilation how will you go on with steam etc when cooking/drinks
Yep thats why I'm asking for advice about the best way to have ventilation...

Although I most likely won't have a fitted cooker (probably just microwave) and will boil water outside the van for the most part.
Also toying with the idea of a 12v extractor fan for when I do boil water inside.

Having said that I live in a truck 5 days a week where I boil water and cook with a small camping stove daily and never have any issues but I'd rather not risk it in my personal vehicle: )

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As you were considering a wind vent which means cutting the roof you could consider a FIAMMA turbo vent
12v powered and waterproof when closed it delivers 9 m3 min and measures just 28cm x 28cm.

Google FIAMMA TURBO VENT

Reactions: DBK
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Problem is that it already has windows all round so it's not just a case of cutting a hole into the side panel and fitting a caravan window...
It's also got all the interior window trims aswell which I don't want to lose.

Can you fit a Renault window exactly the same but slides open? I'm sure I've seen some slide open. You definitely need something open opposite the sliding door to get some through draught when it's hot.

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
Can you fit openable windows in rear doors?
Must be some neat products out there.
Don’t know your layout so difficult to make specific suggestions.

Jul 3, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato MWB, DIY :-)
Exp
10 years campervanning, 60+ camping
What do you want to in your van..? If it's simply for overnighting in in Scotland, you may be ok. If you want to take a siesta in it in Spain in August, I'd say you need a big hole, preferably in the roof. Visit a secondhand motorhome dealer to get an idea of what top light gives you... there's a reason most pro conversions are covered with roof windows! Also remember you need air inlets too.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
What do you want to in your van..? If it's simply for overnighting in in Scotland, you may be ok. If you want to take a siesta in it in Spain in August, I'd say you need a big hole, preferably in the roof. Visit a secondhand motorhome dealer to get an idea of what top light gives you... there's a reason most pro conversions are covered with roof windows! Also remember you need air inlets too.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Noted you mentioned cooking in a microwave. You do appreciate you'll need to be on electrical hookup don't you? Unless you have masses of solar, a large battery bank and a biggish inverter.

You should never cook inside using a portable gas stove, even with good ventilation, notwithstanding you appear to do just that in your truck. Instant route to asphyxiation, CO poisoning etc. (Most truck drivers I've seen cooking use a pullout from somewhere under the trailer chassis.)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
First thing especially if using gas is some vents in the floor , one under every joint ,under the cooker and obviously in the gas locker and if you find a scrap ambulance they have vents and a fan in the roof that you could use.

Edhat1992

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
As you don't need any more light and if you just want it to deal with condensation just stick a mushroom vent with a 12v fan in. Easy to make a 100mm hole with a drill.
If you still get condensation you can always add more or look into more expensive/difficult options like fiamma fans or replacing windows.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you want to keep the windows non opening then the absolute best option would be a MaxxAir maxxfan vent.
It is fairly low profile but opens to give a huge air flow. Can be operated in the down position and can be left open even in heavy rain.

I am putting one of them in my next conversion... After having lived in my current van for 9 years, it is one thing I wish I had put in. Cross ventilation is not always possible on really hot days.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: I have looked at other vents, but they all let rain in if left open, can't operate when driving etc etc.
The Maxxfan is expensive but so well designed I think. I am looking forward to getting mine :)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I second Gromett,s sugggestion, I have a Maxxfan in my van conversion and it is great for keeping the air fresh in the van and you can sleep with it in the up position and you get fresh Air even if it is raining, if you use gas for heating and cooking the maxxfan will help clear moisture out of the air too

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
I would suggest a ventilated opening roof light of some sort, we have one in our conversion quite close to the kitchen area and never have any problems. The auto venting works to allow fresh air into the van at night when sleeping and when cooking we can just pop it open for extra venting, it opens in 4 different directions so if its raining we can open it away from the rain direction. It has a mesh screen built in too so it can be left open on warm/hot nights with no fear of mozzies getting in.
We also have two sliding windows in the side of the van but have never used them.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I would suggest a ventilated opening roof light of some sort, we have one in our conversion quite close to the kitchen area and never have any problems. The auto venting works to allow fresh air into the van at night when sleeping and when cooking we can just pop it open for extra venting, it opens in 4 different directions so if its raining we can open it away from the rain direction. It has a mesh screen built in too so it can be left open on warm/hot nights with no fear of mozzies getting in.
We also have two sliding windows in the side of the van but have never used them.
I suspect the OP is not listening anymore given that they are now a deleted use

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back