Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,
First post here.
I have Autotrail Cheyenne 696 2006 - Ducato 28 JTD.
My Dipstick won't come out?! Now, please stop laughing and give us a hand here.
1. Have tried everything Interweb has suggested - no Joy
2. It comes out about 10 inches and then jams
3. Can anyone trace a Parts Diagram that shows Dipstick and Case Part numbers / Where to Order?
Help much appreciated

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You don't need part numbers.
Go to a Fiat Commercial dealer with your reg number and VIN and they'll be able to order it.
The VIN will tell them everything they need to know.
It does sound like something (crankshaft!) has whacked it and bent the end over (though god knows how) so even with the new parts it still may mean the sump off to straighten it to get it out.
The tube may be a press fit in the crankcase.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I nearly fell off my chair laughing at this sorry!! Its a straight length of twisted spring wire ! Give it a good pull!
Makes a change to some of the serious stuff on here! Lol

Pappajohn...It sits away from the crankshaft. It cannot get caught at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I'm sure they are made out of the sort of metal that ends loads before it breaks ( hense how it is stuck bent and did not break when it got bent.
When you pull it out to the point that it sticks can you hear it hitting anything like the crank? And I take it you can push and pull it out that little bit without any problems.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Actually ....The push method past the gimp halfway down the tube..can be enough to bend it! Lol
If it has the Plastic level paddle on the base ...it could (Only possibly..) have come away and thus prevents it coming up the tube. It cannot with huge respect ..catch the crankshaft at all.

Kev

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Hi All,
Thanks for the quick responses. Please don't laugh at my Dipstick! Wife and Garage Secretary were laughing enough already!!

As stated it's a Spring and I have pulled it as hard as I dare before the spring itself will start to unravel! My 4Ft Dipstck gets about 1Ft out before jamming on some 'internals'... like they do...lol

Had its MOT today and Mechanic had a go as well with same result. It is quite bizarre as I have worked on umpteen engines before without ever getting this problem.

Was hoping there was some 'trick' to this, if anyone else had the same issue.
I have tried all the Junkies for the parts but no avail.
Looks like off to Fiat Commercial for a new one.

Thanks

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I was going to ask if you'd tried twisting it. If that doesn't work, to be honest I'd go for pulling the dipstick tube out rather than trying to pull the dipstick itself. The tube is only a push fit in the engine block. If you keep pulling the dipstick and break it off, you will have a sump off job to retrieve the rest!

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks Peeps,
As I said I have tried all Interweb fix advice and no joy.
Yanked, Pulled, Nudged, Twisted, Turned, Tossed, Bent, Blown Compressed Air...etc etc
You name it I have done it.
Me DIPSTICK just refuses to come out of the hole!! (lucky for some ...lol)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Dynamite is your friend.

Funny you should say that.

I once had a car that, unbeknown to me, had been leaking petrol into the oil sump. I had the bonnet up with the engine running, when there was an almighty bang as the petrol fumes in the sump ignited. The dipstick whistled past my ear like a missile and shot a couple of hundred feet across the playing field I was parked next to.

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks Peeps,
As I said I have tried all Interweb fix advice and no joy.
Yanked, Pulled, Nudged, Twisted, Turned, Tossed, Bent, Blown Compressed Air...etc etc
You name it I have done it.
Me DIPSTICK just refuses to come out of the hole!! (lucky for some ...lol)

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
What ever the answer is...please come back and let us all know? Ideally a picture? This is a seriously good one! It has to be something really stupid? I has to be??
Have you thought of the idea Deneb had come up with? It does come out with a bit of brute force. The tube and stick that is!
The hole in the block has got to be big enough for it all to come out then trust me it will come out!

Kev

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
I quite like the Idea of 'Easing out the casing' of said Dipstick as it is a push fit.
Will give that a whirl and post pics result.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Trust you can sort it, but unfortunately, I think you've used up all of your 5 free posts without being a subscribing member....

So here's hoping you'll join and let us know the outcome, and of course get lots more 'helpful' advice, not to mention plenty of banter. (y) :)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Trust you can sort it, but unfortunately, I think you've used up all of your 5 free posts without being a subscribing member....

So here's hoping you'll join and let us know the outcome, and of course get lots more 'helpful' advice, not to mention plenty of banter. (y) :)

He will be back..... :giggler:

:Eeek:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Most dip sticks go into a tube before going through the block and into the sump.

The tubes are usually held in place with a bracket and an interference fit into the block.

Have you tried removing the tube?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back