Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Dipstick Saga Continues!
Rig due a Service so got all the bits AND a new Sump & Gasket.
Thought I'd check the end of the Dipstick to see if twisted - thus preventing getting it out:

As you see it is twisted... No sure if it supposed to be?
So I straightened it and guess what?! The Damn thing will still not come out!! I got exactly 11 inches today and not a smidgen more. 11 inches up the pipe is 'nothing'... so there must be something in there thats' jamming me?
Anyway Nice new Sump:

Still no joy from Fiat Commercial despite 3 emails and 3 calls - Hopeless.
I gonna go down there and shove that dipstick where the sun don't shine - till I get a new pipe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Nothing to lose....... Pull it out til it stops, 2 pairs of vise grips one above the other (2 pairs for extra grip) and a long bar below the bottom pair and lever the bastard out.
It's stuck in the tube so the worst that can happen, you break the Dipstick or tube.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Another option.. If you have a new Dipstick.
Pull it out until there's just enough to get grips on underneath then cut the bugger off at the top of the tube and pull it downwards and out.
If the new one won't go in use the top of the old one to seal the tube until you get a new tube.

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for the tip, but it is on a spring so yanking will just expand the spring.
When I get a new pipe and dipstick I'll give it a go.
I just don't want to 'do it' as we are using Rig at the moment.

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Another option.. If you have a new Dipstick.
Pull it out as far as it will go then cut the bugger off at the top of the tube and pull it downwards and out.
If the new one won't go in use the top of the old one to seal the tube until you get a new tube.
Yeah, that was the plan 'When I get a new dipstick'!

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I gonna go down there and shove that dipstick where the sun don't shine - till I get a new pipe.
[/QUOTE]

I`m sorry..... and I know i`m not the brightest star in the sky when it comes to technical stuff...

Be it Mechanical or Electrical.... BUT...... I am at a loss and only to willing to learn...

Could you please explain to me ...

How the :swear2: are you going to take said dipstick down to "Fiat Commercial" and stick it where the sun don`t shine ...

When you don`t seem to have the knowledge or know how to get the little bastard out in the first place...:doh:

:wink::RollEyes::rofl:

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Its not twisted because of damage Chaps......Its designed that way...Bless!
The idea is ...the oil does not run off when warm and you are checking the levels. It is meant to be that way....as regards it being stuck still...Mole grips on the tube with the dipstick in and twist. Trust me! It will come out. It has been said before by a number of folk on here. The tube will come out and bring the dipstick with it. It is only INTERFERENCE FIT.
Kev

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning

I`m sorry..... and I know i`m not the brightest star in the sky when it comes to technical stuff...

Be it Mechanical or Electrical.... BUT...... I am at a loss and only to willing to learn...

How the :swear2: are you going to take said dipstick down to "Fiat Commercial" and stick it where the sun don`t shine ...

When you don`t seem to have the knowledge or know how to get the little bastard out in the first place...:doh:

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely love that Mo! Spot on!

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
My little knowledge of mechanical....

I think you will find yours is meant to have a little twist in it...

You may find the tube you insert it down which will take said dipstick to the sump so as to give you an oil reading if you could pull it out is or has been bent where it

affixes to the engine block.. I think some ham handed fitter has bent the pipe and put a little "Kink" in it .... thus stopping said dipstick from being retracted from dipstick pipe.. :Grin:(y)

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017

[/QUOTE]
I have a selection of Dipsticks from various engines... Simples...

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots

Funny how folk get brave on a keyboard.

I bet you wouldn't be that brave face to face.

He seems like a nicer bloke than you with your attitude.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Bare with me here but...You have had the sump off and refitted a new one with a new gasket ?
SO ...You have had access to the underside of the engine where the dipstick pops through? Yes?
So...Whilst it was out...with a torch...could you not see up the orifice where the dipstick comes through?
Look...long and short of it is this...The stick WILL pull through . With the sump off....Did you not attempt to pull it down the tube instead? If it moved ...you would have only needed to take the plastic T handle off and pull it through from the bottom! That is "Simples"

Kev

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning

[/QUOTE]
Yorick...Dont take it out of context bud.. Its not meant to be a rant at anyone. Especially from Old Mo..
He's harmless.. And would not harm any one. You have over stepped your mark there sorry.

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Bare with me here but...You have had the sump off and refitted a new one with a new gasket ?
SO ...You have had access to the underside of the engine where the dipstick pops through? Yes?
So...Whilst it was out...with a torch...could you not see up the orifice where the dipstick comes through?
Look...long and short of it is this...The stick WILL pull through . With the sump off....Did you not attempt to pull it down the tube instead? If it moved ...you would have only needed to take the plastic T handle off and pull it through from the bottom! That is "Simples"

Kev
Yes Kev, I tried the bleedin obvious but it will not come out UP or DOWN. I think there is a NUT or something down the tube that 'grabs' the spring as you pull UP or DOWN.
I need to get a new Pipe and rip the old one out and see just why it is stuck.
Cos we are using the motorhome NOW - I don't want to take things to bits without new bits next to me - or we may be going nowhere for weeks!....lol

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017

Yorick...Dont take it out of context bud.. Its not meant to be a rant at anyone. Especially from Old Mo..
He's harmless.. And would not harm any one. You have over stepped your mark there sorry.
[/QUOTE]
I took it as humour, so all good guys.... I do the same.. :D2

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.

Come on Mike, resist the desperate urge to comment, you can do it if you really try, focus, concentrate, detach your mind from this earthly place. :gum:

Nope, I tried, but am overcome............................................................

What you say is VeryTrueVerySillyVeryOldFool. Now, troll off back to your packing to move type chores, before St Judy spots you playing on the puuuuuter again.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hello again...There is no nut down the tube. It is a 10mm tube with a chamfered end that is glued (if the fitter does his job right ??) or pushed and held in place by interference fit only. The reason for it is so that it can be replaced at anytime should there be an accident where the tube is damaged for what ever reason. The Tube is in an awkward place when being fitted to the chassis from new and can and does get damaged occasionally.
Honestly I do understand that you need to keep mobile and moving along..But you have had the sump off and its that that I find a little confusing to be honest, why it was not cut off from the top and pulled through from the bottom whilst the sump was off? The oil level could have still been topped up as per dealer specs and you could have still used the truck with out fault until a new dipstick was available? There are a number of vehicles with damaged dipsticks or even missing them...travelling around still.

Kev

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

F.F.S............... I think Calamaster the original poster realised that it was a tongue in cheek reply... like most other`s with a sense of humour..

If he did not think that.... I apologies...

With members like that who needs it.... (Yorick ).. :doh: :imoutahere:

See my friends this Friday... Wont be answering any PM`s...

So PLEASE DON`T PM/Conversation me..... Cos I wont receive it them...

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
F.F.S............... I think Calamaster the original poster realised that it was a tongue in cheek reply... like most other`s with a sense of humour..

If he did not think that.... I apologies...

With members like that who needs it.... (Yorick ).. :doh: :imoutahere:

See my friends this Friday... Wont be answering any PM`s...

So PLEASE DON`T PM/Conversation me..... Cos I wont receive it them...
Calm down chaps... I took no offense and got the humour.
More to follow when I have a Dipstick and Sheath to install.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If the cap fits mate.. but no i was just looking for an excuse for your rudeness
I haven't drunk any plonk as you inferred for about 20 years. And I saw no rudeness. But am getting fed up of you persuing me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back