Devizes - Where to stay (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
We are going to Devizes and surrounding area this weekend. Have a walk along the canal past the Caen locks etc. Will probably book to stay the Friday night at the campsite attached to the Three Magpies pub, as it's fairly close.
Any suggestions as to where there are any suitable spots where we can wild camp in the area after that.
Not keen on sites to be honest, so any recommendations for pubs, off track places etc would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
When we were down that way a few weeks ago we stopped at Hackpen Hill above Broad Hinton,also at the car park at the end of The Locks lane,despite the notices! The phone system for paying is defunct so it says pay at cafe which is only open from 10.30 - 3.30 !
£40 fine for staying overnight but you can buy a ticket for 24 or 72 hours.
As there was no one to ask we stayed! Wife was quite prepared to argue the toss :LOL:. Both places on 'Search for sites'

Sunset from Hackpen Hill

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
The Bridge Inn is just outside the town and you can walk to the Caen Hill from there. (y) Just been referbed and was a building site when we went, but should be good now. SN10 2JS. You can also stay in the car park at the top of the locks and pay in the Cafe. I think it is £8 for over night but no facilities. :eek: Recently we chose to pay the £1 for the day and then moved onto a nearby BritStop.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks.
Has anyone stayed on the campsite behind the Three Magpies? Will probably stay there on Friday night, and then look for any quiet spots where we can stop on Sat/Sunday.
Anyone have any good locations where we can go off-grid?

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
i think we stayed there a few years ago, I seem to recall it was quite nice. Not sure if they then had to close the campsite for a while to get the appropriate permissions/paper work in place to run it as a certain size CL. I would try it again.

Upvote 0

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
We've stayed a the CCC site by the Three Magpies a couple of times. I thought it was pretty good with easy access onto the canal towpath for easy access up to Caen Hill and Devizes and a pretty good canalside pub nearby in the opposite direction.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We've stayed a the CCC site by the Three Magpies a couple of times. I thought it was pretty good with easy access onto the canal towpath for easy access up to Caen Hill and Devizes and a pretty good canalside pub nearby in the opposite direction.
Super place .stop there once or twice every year .bus stop outside ,don't personally recommend the three magpies..but plenty of other places ..Roy

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
+1 for the CCC site at Three Magpies.

When we went (not in school holidays) we were suprised to only be able to get one night as they were full, so may be worth booking in advance to be sure

Lovely site with lovely wardens

Upvote 0

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
This is from the Three Magpies web site. So as well as the CCC site you can stay at the pub :-

We have a 20CL Touring Caravan and camping site behind the pub.

We also cater for small & large club rallys with full facilities, toilets, showers, electric hook-up, chemical waste disposal and water. There is a purpose built BBQ for our guests use.

Rates are:-
£17.00 per unit with electric
£14.00 per unit without electric
Tents are from £10.00

We do allow dogs on leads and requested you keep them in control at all times and clean up behind then properly. Dogs are allowed in the bar area only.

We are in a peaceful setting, a short walk from the Kennet & Avon. We like you to feel at home so we are very laid back! After all you're here to enjoy yourselves!

HTH

Dave

PS Wadworth 6X is a pretty good pint!

Edited to add phone number 01380 828389

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Three Magpies site is basic. I wouldn't recommend the loos and showers. Some road noise which is lessened if you can park on the side farthest from road.
The C&CC site next door is usually spotless. I understand there are new managers. They did have some really miserable ones a couple of years ago.
There's not a great deal of wild camping spots around Devizes. Lay-bys out on the Salisbury road.

There is a very small CL right by the canal. On the main road from Melksham to Devizes you'll see the Marina on the left, turn in there and follow the track.
There's also a site by the lakes over towards Calne. Nhttp://www.blacklandlakes.co.uk

There's also a CAravan Club CL or CS ( can never remember which is which) in Rowde, on a farm, almost opposite Rowdeford School. Don't know what it's like, owner used to supply logs to my daughter when they lived in the village. George and Dragon does posh meals, and there's also Crosskeys pub in the village and it's on bus route into Devizes and Bath.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If it's wilding you are after there are loads of spots out on the training areas at the back of Sidbury Hill near Tidworth.between there and Netheravon take the Everleigh to Netheravon road off the A342 and you will come across made up tracks byways that go out across the range it's what is called a dry range no live firing but you won't be bothered by anyone as there are no wardens anymore it's very pleasant out there you might even see a great Bustard.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back