Dealer says no. (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Must say there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for an extra panel on that roof, especially if you did have a satilite dish on there, in fact it could possibly shade the panel that is already there.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well, to close this thread, Sunlight have refused to provide the items advertised by not delivered in my camoer. They admit a mistake in the brochure and cite the small print to avoid my claim. As a gesture of goodwill they I was offered Sunlight branded jackets for my and myself. I treated that with the contempt it deserved and ignored the offer.
My take on it is that the missing items appear to be a material part of the reason the van is the special edition so I don't think they'd be able to argue that you weren't supposed to get them, they have said they made a 'mistake' in their brochure but this isn't just a missing set of mud flaps or carpets, it could easily be the reason the van was chosen over others. Personally I don't think their 'get out clause' will hold water in this case, it's like saying it has alloy wheels and then you getting it with standard steel wheels thus is quite a substantial difference. They should either compensate you financially or fit what was supposed to be when you agreed to buy it, that would be my line of 'attack'.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I take it your roof is the same as mine?

130w solar panel, feeding 2 x 110 leisure batteries. Seems to work well, but not really had a good chance to test them out.

7FAA1CA9-64CC-4CF0-B759-9641DE324F42.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I think you will find in the T&Cs something along the lines of

"All images and descriptions in the brochure are for a guide only and do not represent any actual offers. we do not accept any liability for incorrect printing and any specification of vans will be specified in the contract bewteen you an your dealer at time of signing."
or similar to above.
ALSO note a contract can be verbal aswell as written

MAybe you can stand on the "right to reject a motorhome" dunno

Jan 3, 2020
Mile Oak, Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 98
Exp
Since 2008
Surprises me tbh...
The dealers response to your questions was beyond poor.
The Van is not as you expected.
Its clear after sales will be hard to come by
But you still went ahead?
No wonder dealers treat us with no respect.
šŸ˜”

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I got my van from the same place as Lucky.

Mine came minus itā€™s electric folding mirrors and the proper wheel trims.

ā€˜Iā€™ll have to contact Sunlightā€™........that was September.

Theyā€™ve been pleasant enough to deal with, far better than a number of other Dealers I tried to work with.........but now weā€™re into ā€˜After Salesā€™ territory. :(

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
If you have your extras fitted elsewhere you may invalidate any warranty.
Having witnessed this first hand l would say this is common practice but in a roundabout way.
Here is an example; you order your new MH from an appointed Dealer and specify extras to be fitted which are chosen from the the Brands extras price list for example:
Satellite System Ā£3500
Automatic Self Levelling Ā£5000
2 x Solar Panels complete with MPPT etc Ā£1800
The prices may seem high but are not unusual particularly on German brands.
The Dealer often sends the new vehicle off to have one or all fitted locally at a much reduced price to the price that would be factory fitted and greatly improving the profit margin.
The buyer is completely unaware of this practice.
The factory is completely unaware of this practice and any Warranty work that doesnā€™t breach any of the extras fitted elsewhere is covered.

DiggerDogs

Free Member
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Exp
RV
I had a BMW i3 where the brochure implied active cruise control braking for obstructions. It did not and could not have as there was no radar šŸ˜€. I called them they confirmed it was not possible and the brochure had been corrected. Oh no it hasnā€™t oh yes it has oh no etc. Have a look online! ā€œAhh sorry your right sir. What do you want?ā€ Can I have it? ā€œNo sorryā€. ā€œHow about Ā£500 in vouchers?ā€ That will do nicely! Sometimes complaining works!šŸ˜‚

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Got it yesterday!

It happened in a bit of a rush, at my request, fearing another lockdown.

I'll probably buy the Fiat extended warranty but need to speak with a Fiat Professional dealer becaue the mh dealer seemed vague...

We're missing the satellite dish and 22" TV featured in the brochure, which the dealer said nobody else collecting an XV special edition had mentioned šŸ¤” but he is investigating with Sunlight. We will go over it more closely today.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm booked into Roadpro for my upgrades (solar etc.) and when I have news I'll provide an update on the new Sunlight section.
I have Extended warranty , because I don't trust the Robotic gearbox, as far Road Pro go they done a good job fitting a Saterlite system

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
When I read the first few posts I had to say to myself that at least the dealer is honest enough to decline the extra work, citing the reasons they did, rather than just subbing the work out and charging you a premium over what it cost them. If you used a reputable after-sales accessory outfit, a few of whom appear on the forum regularly, I personally wouldn't worry about warranty. You would probably have to wait though as I understand the good ones are very busy.

But reading further I was disappointed about the apparent missing items and the seemingly off-hand way the dealer has "explained" it. They may well be correct, of course, but IMO you haven't helped by accepting the van as it is for whatever reason - I'd think you're going to have a problem if you are thinking of rejection, to me that's a non-starter.

Was it a cash or finance purchase? Maybe get some help from the finance company.

It's a rare bird in the dealership world, unfortunately, that is willing to take on further responsibility once they've got their hands on your money. But you're not the first and won't be the last.

Sep 13, 2020
Somewhere surrounded by sea
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979
Got it yesterday!

I'll probably buy the Fiat extended warranty but need to speak with a Fiat Professional dealer becaue the mh dealer seemed vague...
Hi Lucky

Think long and hard about the extended Fiat warranty!!!

Sept 2018 we purchased brand new Autotrail motorhome - thought it was "our forever m/h" so took out the extended Fiat warranty along with 3 year tracker/alarm warranty (tracker unit we found wasn't even working!!!). We were then plagued with so much problems that in Sept 2019 at the Lincoln show we decided (despite loosing shed load of dosh) we would trade in and get s/h hoping that in the six months of previous ownership all problems would be resolved!!
So when we had picked up the "new" m/h went to Fiat Professional and explained what we had done and could we "transfer" the extended warranty as neither vans were anywhere near to the warranty being activated. Reply came back no it has to stay with unit it was purchased for, even tried with Fiat Italy but no joy
The m/h is still with the dealer that we traded it in with - 13 months later!!!

Take care and stay safe all

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Hi Lucky

Sept 2018 we purchased brand new Autotrail motorhome - thought it was "our forever m/h" so took out the extended Fiat warranty along with 3 year tracker/alarm warranty (tracker unit we found wasn't even working!!!). We were then plagued with so much problems that in Sept 2019 at the Lincoln show we decided (despite loosing shed load of dosh) we would trade in and get s/h hoping that in the six months of previous ownership all problems would be resolved!!
So when we had picked up the "new" m/h went to Fiat Professional and explained what we had done and could we "transfer" the extended warranty as neither vans were anywhere near to the warranty being activated. Reply came back no it has to stay with unit it was purchased for, even tried with Fiat Italy but no joy

What problems did you have?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would do without the satellite dish which is pretty much obsolete these days and use the roof space for extra solar, you can't have too much of that.

Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979
What problems did you have?
Have you got a week or two!!!

Collected and went to THS down the road from dealer. Following morning HWMBO sat on loo and notices the privacy strip on loo door is splitting from the top - phone dealer and got reply "oh just get some glue and glue it", WHAT!!!
Got home and tried to sort the tracker as it said m/h was still at dealers, in touch with dealer oh we'll have to get a new tracker and you bring m/h over to fit - but it's going to cost about Ā£100.00p for one of your guys to plug something in, will you pay as it wasn't working when we left? No it's your job to return for warranty work, but my insurance is invalid without it, so after getting in touch with Sargent they agreed to send direct and told me where to fit it!!!! As an aside that tracker also packed up in middle of Solent when on our way home some 7-8 months later??
Then after having the privacy strip replaced (what a hash they made of that) and checking the solar charging system we were woken at about 3am with what I could only describe as like a rifle going off (twice) from under our bed. When mentioned and even getting in touch with Truma we had some cock and bull about air being trapped which caused it, even though we complained the heating never worked as it did before that incident
We had big problems with cupboard locker doors closing and crashing on your head with dealer sending new hinges to beef up the doors - should have sued as on one occasion it cut top of my head
Shower room so tight when wife dropped soap she got stuck and I had hell of job getting her up as doors open inwards where she was stuck!! Also I managed to scold my back due to turning the water tap to hottest position when turning around - which wasn't a pretty sight!!
When purchased we complained manual bed head adjustment doesn't stay or lock into position, dealer said it shouldn't until A/T confirmed it should!! We were able to sort that ourselves
We had scratches on bedroom mirror (which dealer said wouldn't replace until I kicked up) and also on the main electric control panel above door. I don't think the dealer replaced unit with new but took one from another van as after they replaced it we had a whole manor of problems with the panel and the lights switching on and off randomly
We were at a THS with brilliant sunshine and the solar couldn't keep the batteries fully charged so had to get the generator out to charge them - newest van on field by a long way and having to resort to that was the beginning of the end!! We had complained several times for this charging problem and neither the dealer or Sargent could sort it or knew how to which was more frightening!! Also neither would admit it was "not fit for purpose" and wouldn't/couldn't resolve the problems
So with the dealer not having a clue about the products they sell or how to repair them and with the continual cost of having to get it to them and then sit around in a very drab showroom we decided enough was enough and as I say the poor dealer who took it still has it after 13 months and even they can't resolve the battery charging/draining problem the thing has!!
As an aside we've got to say we are over the moon with our present van and wished we had seen this model before wasting our dosh on the A/T
As I'm only responding to your request should a mod feel it's in the wrong section please remove to new/appropriate section
You can all wake up now!!

Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979
Wightman can i as what you part exedfor please?
Hi pampam

2018 Pilote P740C Sensation, decent size garage, electric raising/lowering bed and headboard, brilliant heating system and decent fridge/freezer but to name a few!!

We had looked at similar but was always "put-off" with the hab door being on the UK roadside as we have 12.5 year old fox red labbie who had difficulty getting in/out of the A/T, she can actually get in/out through passenger door when needed!!

It's rated 3650Kg but will look to upgrade to 3950Kg (have done 70+ licence OK) as have awning with safari room, underfloor gas tank, satellite system with TV's in lounge and bedroom area, 150 watt solar and extra 110A/h battery fitted as "extra's" :cool:

Best wishes and stay safe all

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I wish you folks would stop moaning about dealers it's putting me off....

For the first time ever I am looking at buying a new van from a dealer having built five myself in the past (all on new base vehicles) and owned various second hand ones before that.

Now I'm wondering if I should ever trust a dealer (or manufacturer) to supply what I pay for and supposedly get supplied.
At least with a self-build if anything goes wrong it's my fault and generally having built it I know how to fix it.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As always we only hear about the problems. I'm sure there must be dozens of folk who have bought new without experiencing these well-aired problems.

C'mon peeps, let's hear a few "good" stories.

Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979

For the first time ever I am looking at buying a new van from a dealer having built five myself in the past (all on new base vehicles) and owned various second hand ones before that.

Now I'm wondering if I should ever trust a dealer (or manufacturer) to supply what I pay for and supposedly get supplied.
At least with a self-build if anything goes wrong it's my fault and generally having built it I know how to fix it.
Hi Rod

That seems to be contradicting statement as if I had the capability to build my own I would, as you say you get what YOU want and not what a manufacturer wants you to have :cool:

We have purchased quite a few motorhomes over the years (difficult when you live on an Island with the dearest sea crossing in the world - allegedly!!) as we have that stretch to cross with even the smallest problem when it's u/g

Sorry if I appeared to be moaning as I've not mentioned dealer but merely trying to help people not fall into the same pit as we did - it costs a lot of money ;-)

I have actually praised the m/h we have so not all doom, gloom and no praise - dealer or manufacturer!!

Best wishes, stay safe all

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

It is business transaction, the salesperson is not your friend and its a negotiation. Check everything then check again, as in the case of the OP our dealer had no idea of how much space was on the roof we managed to get a roof plan from Hymer but no dimensions which you would have thought the dealer could have got. I believe many issues would be solved if the dealers had pre-sales engineer who work on the technical aspects of customer requirements, that would leave the salesperson to focus on order taking

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hayes, the Pilote dealer in Darlaston, tell the truth and don't make any promises unless they know they can keep them. If they say they'll do something, then they do it. Blooming excellent firm to deal with.

What else can I say other than just tell the simple truth?

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Have you got a week or two!!!

Collected and went to THS down the road from dealer. Following morning HWMBO sat on loo and notices the privacy strip on loo door is splitting from the top - phone dealer and got reply "oh just get some glue and glue it", WHAT!!!
Got home and tried to sort the tracker as it said m/h was still at dealers, in touch with dealer oh we'll have to get a new tracker and you bring m/h over to fit - but it's going to cost about Ā£100.00p for one of your guys to plug something in, will you pay as it wasn't working when we left? No it's your job to return for warranty work, but my insurance is invalid without it, so after getting in touch with Sargent they agreed to send direct and told me where to fit it!!!! As an aside that tracker also packed up in middle of Solent when on our way home some 7-8 months later??
Then after having the privacy strip replaced (what a hash they made of that) and checking the solar charging system we were woken at about 3am with what I could only describe as like a rifle going off (twice) from under our bed. When mentioned and even getting in touch with Truma we had some cock and bull about air being trapped which caused it, even though we complained the heating never worked as it did before that incident
We had big problems with cupboard locker doors closing and crashing on your head with dealer sending new hinges to beef up the doors - should have sued as on one occasion it cut top of my head
Shower room so tight when wife dropped soap she got stuck and I had hell of job getting her up as doors open inwards where she was stuck!! Also I managed to scold my back due to turning the water tap to hottest position when turning around - which wasn't a pretty sight!!
When purchased we complained manual bed head adjustment doesn't stay or lock into position, dealer said it shouldn't until A/T confirmed it should!! We were able to sort that ourselves
We had scratches on bedroom mirror (which dealer said wouldn't replace until I kicked up) and also on the main electric control panel above door. I don't think the dealer replaced unit with new but took one from another van as after they replaced it we had a whole manor of problems with the panel and the lights switching on and off randomly
We were at a THS with brilliant sunshine and the solar couldn't keep the batteries fully charged so had to get the generator out to charge them - newest van on field by a long way and having to resort to that was the beginning of the end!! We had complained several times for this charging problem and neither the dealer or Sargent could sort it or knew how to which was more frightening!! Also neither would admit it was "not fit for purpose" and wouldn't/couldn't resolve the problems
So with the dealer not having a clue about the products they sell or how to repair them and with the continual cost of having to get it to them and then sit around in a very drab showroom we decided enough was enough and as I say the poor dealer who took it still has it after 13 months and even they can't resolve the battery charging/draining problem the thing has!!
As an aside we've got to say we are over the moon with our present van and wished we had seen this model before wasting our dosh on the A/T
As I'm only responding to your request should a mod feel it's in the wrong section please remove to new/appropriate section
You can all wake up now!!

Not sure if Iā€™ve got this right, but arenā€™t those issues to do with the Habitation side and not the base vehicle?

The Fiat Warranty is only for the base vehicle, the other side of the warranty is to do with the converting company / dealer which is where it appears your problems were.

Sorry if Iā€™m reading this wrong, but thatā€™s how it appears to me. (y)

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
As always we only hear about the problems. I'm sure there must be dozens of folk who have bought new without experiencing these well-aired problems.

C'mon peeps, let's hear a few "good" stories.
Recently bought new from SMC, with extras (solar, batt, etc) great service, comprehensive handover and half a tank of fuel...

Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979
Not sure if Iā€™ve got this right, but arenā€™t those issues to do with the Habitation side and not the base vehicle?

The Fiat Warranty is only for the base vehicle, the other side of the warranty is to do with the converting company / dealer which is where it appears your problems were.

Sorry if Iā€™m reading this wrong, but thatā€™s how it appears to me. (y)
Hi Sapper520

You are reading it quite correct and I've not suggested anything wrong/against the base vehicle Fiat

My point in posting about the extended Fiat warranty from the 2 years you get with Fiat direct and have the option to extend to 5 years for a cost of nearly Ā£900.00p is if the M/H is a load of **** as ours was you've wasted that money and get nothing for it whereas in our case both vehicles were under two years so why wouldn't Fiat put the warranty onto the Pilote Fiat based we purchased from the useless A/T Fiat based chassis? :)

It would not have cost them anything as such and we felt cheated out of this sum as they've "had money for nothing", also the Fiat dealer thought Fiat were being totally unreasonable in refusing the transfer

And please don't anyone suggest we had a better trade-in deal as when I enquired about leaving the extra's on the A/T (satellite system, underfloor gas tank, 2nd TV etc) the dealer said it would make absolutely no difference to the trade-in deal, so they obviously weren't interested in the extended warranty - someone will get a surprise should they have any work done and not get billed!!!

I was merely trying to help lucky in making the right decision about the extended warranty he is thinking of putting on his base vehicle - it's fine as long as you know you will keep the M/H for the full 5 year period - but how can you do that within 15 days of purchase as we thought the A/T would be ours for the foreseeable future :cool:

Take care and best wishes, stay safe all

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Got it yesterday!

We're missing the satellite dish and 22" TV featured in the brochure, which the dealer said nobody else collecting an XV special edition had mentioned šŸ¤” but he is investigating with Sunlight. We will go over it more closely today.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm booked into Roadpro for my upgrades (solar etc.) and when I have news I'll provide an update on the new Sunlight section.
If you have not sorted your extended warranty yet you could obtain it through Simon Potter No Mess no fuss he just sorted it when our MoHo Dealer told us Hymer would do it or the DVLA would do it ! (cant make it up) Just give simon a ring tell him how many extra years you want (we just added two)

Simon Potter
Van Service Operations Manager
Email: simon.potter@adamsmorey.com | Web: www.adamsmorey.com
Tel: 02392 691122 | DDI: 02392 627209 | Mob: 077786 46057

I am not saying you have not but double check the brochure some times they show you things or highlight them but are actually optional equipment (if its not listed as standard you do not get them unless you order them a 2nd Battery was around Ā£250 when we ordered ours)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you have not sorted your extended warranty yet you could obtain it through Simon Potter No Mess no fuss he just sorted it when our MoHo Dealer told us Hymer would do it or the DVLA would do it ! (cant make it up) Just give simon a ring tell him how many extra years you want (we just added two)

Simon Potter
Van Service Operations Manager
Email: simon.potter@adamsmorey.com | Web: www.adamsmorey.com
Tel: 02392 691122 | DDI: 02392 627209 | Mob: 077786 46057

I am not saying you have not but double check the brochure some times they show you things or highlight them but are actually optional equipment (if its not listed as standard you do not get them unless you order them a 2nd Battery was around Ā£250 when we ordered ours)
He collected his van in October so well outside the 14 day period to do this.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Lucky

wasnt an Imala by any chance, weve had lots of problems

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back