Deadlocks - Yes or No (1 Viewer)

Alesupper

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
Hi All

I am the proud owner of a Adria Twin 600 which is a Fiat Ducato van based conversion and I am considering getting deadlocks fitted to beef up security. Apart from the negative visual impact that they have are there any other downsides that I need to consider? I realise that it will be quite laborious sometimes walking round your van locking each individual door (4 in my case) but I am more than happy to do that to keep the van and our possessions safe.

One other possible concern I have is rust. I wonder if the area around the deadlocks might be prone to rusting after a few years maybe? Any knowledgeable feedback would be appreciate please.

Secondly, can anyone recommend a reputable deadlock fitter in the northwest of England area (Cumbria, Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Scotland)?

Cheers, Alesupper

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Heosafe on front doors and exit through habitation door..Easy to fit and good security at night whilst sleeping. Fiamma external lock on habitation door..Anti-shatter clear film fitted to cab door windows,,BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Can’t see the point of them when the rear windows are plastic.
Thieves are opportunistic cowards usually. They want to make a quick getaway.
If they have to climb in through a window to get at anything they are less likely to risk it.

Don't leave valuables in view and having a deadlock is a good way to prevent thieves even trying.

It also makes it harder for thieves who want to take the entire vehicle as they will have one hell of a job replacing the deadlocks before reselling your van.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
DIY Elephant lock. Last year I found a small sheet of 2mm thick aluminium in the house garage.

This is the result, works fine:

20210410_114844.jpg

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
The window situation is definitely a weak point which I have somehow overlooked....doh! Deadlocks are great on a work van with no windows but probably not much of a deterrent on a MH/Campervan. I might invest in a good alarm system instead. Thanks.
The points about windows are valid but like all crime prevention the truth is it's about making someone elses property more attractive than yours. Imagine you're a thief - do you go for van A where you can get in and out inconspicuously via the doors, or van B where you have to climb in and out of a window several feet off the ground, after having smashed it or ripped it open?

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Anyone have an opinion of the Thule sliding side and rear door locks?

Apparently you can get them as a twin pack keyed alike. Thinking of those along with 2 Thule internal cab door locks. I believe Milenco also offer similar packs.

Pete

Upvote 0
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
This one is the company we purchased ours from:
<Broken link removed>
How do I know which version I need? I have 2020 Burtner coachbuilt on a Fiat Ducato base

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Our van only has one door. (Burstner i727)
I've fitted it with a Milenco lock that swings through 90 degs. The important bit is that can be operated from the inside.
Only got the windows to worry about???

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
How do I know which version I need? I have 2020 Burtner coachbuilt on a Fiat Ducato base

I must admit, the website is not the easiest to navigate.

Probably best to choose "vehicle models". There are sub categories in alphabetical order A to B, C, D to F etc. Once you've selected your MH manufacturers name, it shows which Elephant device or devices are suitable.

If your MH doesn't appear on the list then:

Measure the spacing between the 2 bolts on your door. My bolt spacing on the hab door is 62mm which confirms that I need an Elephant 2 device (ref E5001).

Upvote 0
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
I must admit, the website is not the easiest to navigate.

Probably best to choose "vehicle models". There are sub categories in alphabetical order A to B, C, D to F etc. Once you've selected your MH manufacturers name, it shows which Elephant device or devices are suitable.

If your MH doesn't appear on the list then:

Measure the spacing between the 2 bolts on your door. My bolt spacing on the hab door is 62mm which confirms that I need an Elephant 2 device (ref E5001).
So they work for Fiat cab door and Burstner hab doors?

Upvote 0
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Ok got it now. Yes the one for my model year isntlisted but I think it would fit. Thanks for that. Will bear them in mind...

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
So they work for Fiat cab door and Burstner hab doors?
The one I've mentioned is not a deadlock.
It's similar to the Fiamma, the main difference between the two is the Milenco can be applied from the inside.

Upvote 0

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
I think if they're clean and you are genuily a Rastafarian then fair enough. Must admit that on some females they can look pretty greasy and unwholesome however.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back