Deadlocks - Yes or No (1 Viewer)

Alesupper

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
Hi All

I am the proud owner of a Adria Twin 600 which is a Fiat Ducato van based conversion and I am considering getting deadlocks fitted to beef up security. Apart from the negative visual impact that they have are there any other downsides that I need to consider? I realise that it will be quite laborious sometimes walking round your van locking each individual door (4 in my case) but I am more than happy to do that to keep the van and our possessions safe.

One other possible concern I have is rust. I wonder if the area around the deadlocks might be prone to rusting after a few years maybe? Any knowledgeable feedback would be appreciate please.

Secondly, can anyone recommend a reputable deadlock fitter in the northwest of England area (Cumbria, Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Scotland)?

Cheers, Alesupper

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you can be bothered locking them each time it will be more secure and the toe rags will probably look for another target, probably even happen if you don't lock them it will be a visual deterant.
As for rust it depends how well you treat the metal where its been cut.

Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I'm for them. The Sevel vans are so easy to break into, although they are not alone.

Had ours 3-4 years and have no sign of rust. I fitted ours and primer'd the cut outs.

Can't recommend a fitter, but very happy with the locks we chose, which were these:

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We had a PVC which was broken into while visiting Nice, we only left it for 1/2 hour while I went and registered for the Marathon and I even parked it within 100yards of the entrance that had about 10 security guards. They just used something to prize open the window breaking the small black plastic handles in the process, thankfully they got nothing as my internal sensors went off and they did a runner.

I think if someone was going to break in to your van then the weak point will be the windows, your current locks will be a lot stronger than your windows are. Have you thought about putting a bolt lock in the inside of the back doors? we also loop our seatbelt through the door handle then clip it in and this prevents the front doors from being pulled open.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alesupper

Alesupper

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
I'm for them. The Sevel vans are so easy to break into, although they are not alone.

Had ours 3-4 years and have no sign of rust. I fitted ours and primer'd the cut outs.

Can't recommend a fitter, but very happy with the locks we chose, which were these:

Thanks Wissel, that is very useful.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alesupper

Alesupper

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
We had a PVC which was broken into while visiting Nice, we only left it for 1/2 hour while I went and registered for the Marathon and I even parked it within 100yards of the entrance that had about 10 security guards. They just used something to prize open the window breaking the small black plastic handles in the process, thankfully they got nothing as my internal sensors went off and they did a runner.

I think if someone was going to break in to your van then the weak point will be the windows, your current locks will be a lot stronger than your windows are. Have you thought about putting a bolt lock in the inside of the back doors? we also loop our seatbelt through the door handle then clip it in and this prevents the front doors from being pulled open.
The window situation is definitely a weak point which I have somehow overlooked....doh! Deadlocks are great on a work van with no windows but probably not much of a deterrent on a MH/Campervan. I might invest in a good alarm system instead. Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We had the Vanbitz Strikeback fitted to that van and I can say from experience it probably saved us a few pound, we have the same one fitted on our new van. With yours being a PVC if you carry the bikes on the back then the bike loop is great.

Upvote 0

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would say a good alarm is better than deadlocks, as already posted the windows are the weak area. We had a van broken in to in a secure compound, they simply prised the window open. There is an argument that if thieves are determined to get in they will and anything that causes additional damage may not be a good idea?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Deadlocks and a Vanbitz Growler is our choice. Plenty of stickers saying it is alarmed too. Nothing will stop a determined thief but, they might look elsewhere. See thread Vanbitz Scam along with many others that endorse the quality of the system and service.
Stay safe and well šŸ‘

Upvote 1
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
On a campsite I watched a bloke trying all the windows and doors on a motorhome with the alarm going off loudly, after about 10 mins he had managed to get a window open with some piece of wire and climbed in, 3 mins later the alarm was turned off and he drove away....

now I knew the man and knew it was his van and had lost his keys but had a spare set in the van, but no one else on the busy site did and no one said a dickie bow...šŸ˜³

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I recommend you fit PROplates to the cab door handles to reduce the threat of break-ins. The thieves know it is a 2 second job to push a small sharpened screwdriver below the handle and open the central locking, which in many cases turns off the cheap dealer fit alarm. The higest risk is a break-in to steal valuables, but the risk of the vehicle being stolen is quite high too. So install a lock to disable the OBD onboard diagnostics port as well and they can't start the engine without the right chip in the key.

If leaving the van any length of time, I suggest fitting a pedal lock too and locking valuables away. An easily found wallet with a few out of date cards and minimal cash can also be of benefit. They grab that and leave quickly, believing that they have succeeded. My personal favourite is embedding a few barbed fishing hooks in the sacrificial wallet may seem cruel, but will punish the thief

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Only problem is you can't deadlock the windows :(
What windows? :laughing: Leaving aside the cab I have 2 plastic rear windows.One is behind the roof ladder & that only leaves one which is only 12" square. Probably going to put a rack over that when travelling.
Cab windows if broken with dead locks on means climbing in.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2014
Winnersh
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Since 2014
We went to ED LOCKS
Ed-Lock
Unit 3, Station Terrace, Kegworth, Derbyshire DE74 2GE
ED LOCKS were amazing and when we stopped off for a year later it was no problem for them to just tweak one of the locks.
We have a Catloc, tracker, alarm not to mention a clutch claw.
Done everything we can do

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Alesupper

Alesupper

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
I've heard of Rhino and they get good reviews (y)

Upvote 0

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
We had deadlocks fitted to works vans - Citreon Berlingos after a spate of break ins when guys were working away from home. Tools being the obvious target.

No issues since then apart from 1 failed attempt to gain entry.

Fitter was in Sunderland - if you need info pm me and I will ask the office to dig out the info.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I fitted the thatchem L4V ones mentioned above. The doors are the weakest point and thieves love being able to quickly run off if disturbed, they can't do that if they've climbed in through a window. Also breaking a window open when you're sleeping next to it is going to get them nowhere.

20190119_151138.jpg

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We thought we were ok, our used Hymer came with deadlocks on both doors and an alarm!
How wrong can you be?
Tleaf jemmied a window, took almost everything he could, alarm was ineffective-didnā€™t go off,
and seeing as it was a window the locks did nothing, lazy buggers!
Now we have a Strikeback and still have the deadlocks and the Tleaf can still get in thru a window but he will get a massive headache if heā€™s stets foot inside!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back