Dartford crossing (3 Viewers)

Nov 22, 2014
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Do not own one, but I dri
Exp
I`m a newbie
Nobody seems to have mentioned DARTSAVE.
I registered my 2 cars with them 3 years ago and I have only been over the crossing or through the tunnel twice.
Each time I go through/over DARTSAVE pay for me and I reimburse DARTSAVE within 3 weeks.Simple.
Google DARTSAVE and find out for yourselves.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Unless there is a diversion - which does happen.

Beware, I had to pop into Dagenham shortly after getting the moho to have a new piece of exhaust sorted, a week or so later I received a letter from the lez people warning me that if I went in the zone again it would be a £200.00 per day fine.

We live just a couple of miles east of the tunnel, so we get what they term as “the local resident scheme”, I have to pay them £10.00 in August and that gets me 50 trips/passes (0.20 p/crossing) and the moho is only £2.00, whereas a car is currently £2.50

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No charge if you have a blue badge AND your vehicle is road tax exempt.
They don't make it easy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We've done the Dartford tunnel 3 times. And talked about how easy it would be to forget to pay. The last time we used it we did forget. :eek: We just got busy with family stuff and it went right out of my head. Suddenly remembered about 10 days later and phoned them.Nice bloke said there was nothing he could do I would just have to wait for my penalty notice, but that I may just get a warning.
When it came it was just a warning and I was charged £2.50. :D Do you think phoning up makes a difference?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We've done the Dartford tunnel 3 times. And talked about how easy it would be to forget to pay. The last time we used it we did forget. :eek: We just got busy with family stuff and it went right out of my head. Suddenly remembered about 10 days later and phoned them.Nice bloke said there was nothing he could do I would just have to wait for my penalty notice, but that I may just get a warning.
When it came it was just a warning and I was charged £2.50. :D Do you think phoning up makes a difference?
That's what happened to me in the end , except the helpful bloke I got an unhelpful woman.

But letter was just a reminder warning and paid 2.50 and it sorted

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
As you didn't want to start an argument, there seems pretty much nothing else but the response @Northernraider made above.:whistle: You were very condescending to many motorhomers stating that those who forget things are not clever.(n)(n) I would like you to point out in the 95 previous posts above yours where anyone stated they shouldn't pay or even didn't want to pay. I think they are all happy to pay, but given longer and to be able to pay late over the phone rather than a "NO dispute the fine when the letter arrives". Complete waste of time and money sending out letters and then letting you off anyway..o_Oo_O

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
As you didn't want to start an argument, there seems pretty much nothing else but the response @Northernraider made above.:whistle: You were very condescending to many motorhomers stating that those who forget things are not clever.(n)(n) I would like you to point out in the 95 previous posts above yours where anyone stated they shouldn't pay or even didn't want to pay. I think they are all happy to pay, but given longer and to be able to pay late over the phone rather than a "NO dispute the fine when the letter arrives". Complete waste of time and money sending out letters and then letting you off anyway..o_Oo_O
Exactly

That's what I said when I phoned them to pay , waste of time and money sending out letters. Probably costs as much as the fee.

And folk who claim they never do or make mistakes in life I think are either liars or lead very sheltered boring lives.

I'm glad I make mistakes and screw things up....often the funniest things I've done :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Dartford_signage.png

That "C" in the circle might be taken as a congestion zone by someone who didn't know - mind they would probably be correct as with toll booths or without it's a pain to get through.

It's a while since we did it but I remember (maybe mis-remember) going north that we came off one motorway and onto the M25 which was crawling along at about 5mph but it wasn't far at all to the crossing. We were blocked in by lorries which were solid in the inside lane so no chance of reading any signs by the side of the road before the crossing. After the tunnel it was similar with trucks nose to tail in the inside lane so no chance of reading signs at the side of the road after the tunnels either. I don't know if the signs are also on overhead gantries because as we'd paid on advance I took no notice of stuff that didn't affect us - too busy trying to not get knocked or knock anyone else and I was busy with sat nag so as not to miss our exit - and then the M11 was shut so I had to re-route to the A1. I know Martin checked with me that we had paid on the way south and I said I'd paid for the return trip.

I'd hate to have to do the M25 / Dartford Crossing on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Set the account to Auto Top Up so its up to Dart Charge to claim the funds which would seem sensible for someone doing circa 40+ crossings a week.

I gave up trying to help them. His business partner had 14 fail to pay fines during the time I was over last year . so not only haven't we topped up the account but he couldn't even remember to pay after crossing :LOL:

No disrespect but I find it rather worrying you didn’t even know you were going over the bridge or notice a sign particularly so in bad conditions, it’s big enough. :)
I cossed the Millau bridge one night & had no idea I was even on it even though I was expecting it . It was only the lights below that alerted me that I was on it:D2
I went out this morning to deposit the glass in the recycling bin. It is 50m before the traffic lights 1,5km away. As usual I found myself at the light s still with the recycling. :D

I only bother with any when the sat nav alerts me that I might be doing something soon.(y)

If they aren't ,or spanish, then I have no idea what they say unless they are the picture type. :)

They should be the universal picture type. If the French wish to put up tat you need a french dictionary for then I'm out.

The difficulty is that I have forgotten shortly after passing it as I'm trying to traverse multiple lanes to get to the exit that the sat nav tells me I need . I can't even remember a password that I set up a moment ago:LOL: I can only remember things that have any interest to me .

I have complied with your request. (y)

I'm off to Alicante in a mo. I will circumnavigate Murcia & change motorways all on auto pilot as I've done it so regularly & will be oblivious to any signs , even new ones . Have you never driven anywhere then when you have arrived you cannot remember a section of the journey ?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Have you never driven anywhere then when you have arrived you cannot remember a section of the journey ?

This is actually very normal. I remember a training course I was on once and the instructer spent a good while going on about how at rush hour and commuter busy periods approx 80% of the vehicles on the road were a good part of the time being driven on autopilot

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
This is actually very normal. I remember a training course I was on once and the instructer spent a good while going on about how at rush hour and commuter busy periods approx 80% of the vehicles on the road were a good part of the time being driven on autopilot
One of the reasons I like A roads it keeps you alert more than motor way. Ie changing gear , different speed etc.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
I note your comments @Rumour and Innuendo but do you have some sympathy for some friends of ours.

They had used the Dartford Tunnel for years paying at the barrier. They were not aware that the Booths had been removed and so when they used the crossing on their way to Spain they were stumped. Surely they have not stopped charging.

By your comments you would expect them to act on the Signs however the problem is they have no computers, and never have, neither have they a Smart Phone thus they have no access to the Internet which they noted on the signs. Don't think they display the Dart Charge phone number on the signs because how do you write it down whilst negotiating the traffic, probably worse than using a phone whilst driving. Neither do the signs mention that you can pay at a Payzone Shop. How do you find where a Payzone shop is near where you are . Do you know your local one. You can of course find out where the shops are on the internet.

Forgetting to pay was the least of their problems.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
6 (unread) pages seem an awful lot for such a simple thing. I only use the crossing half a dozen times a year and pay a one-off toll online by debit card just before or just after I've used the crossing. Takes about 2 mins. Sorted.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
6 (unread) pages seem an awful lot for such a simple thing. I only use the crossing half a dozen times a year and pay a one-off toll online by debit card just before or just after I've used the crossing. Takes about 2 mins. Sorted.

I've used it twice (once each way) in over 20 years and had it not been for this forum would not have had a clue as to how to pay.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
You just Google: 'Dartford Crossing' and go straight to the toll payment website page. ;)

Yes it is easy IF and ONLY IF you know in advance you need to do this - or you have a method by which you can get onto the web when you are travelling after making the crossing. Many people don't have smart phones, I don't anymore.

The removal of the toll booths wasn't exactly news up here and I have let people know that they need to pay on line or at a paypoint.

Our nearest paypoint is 8 miles in the wrong direction for anything, I tried to use it today and the service line to it has been down for 12 days. The next nearest is miles away. There is an emergency system in place for people to top up electric and gas cards but not for anything else.

Would you google every single bridge you had to cross if you were to tour Scotland just in case there was something you needed to do?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yes it is easy IF and ONLY IF you know in advance you need to do this - or you have a method by which you can get onto the web when you are travelling after making the crossing. Many people don't have smart phones, I don't anymore.

The removal of the toll booths wasn't exactly news up here and I have let people know that they need to pay on line or at a paypoint.

Our nearest paypoint is 8 miles in the wrong direction for anything, I tried to use it today and the service line to it has been down for 12 days. The next nearest is miles away. There is an emergency system in place for people to top up electric and gas cards but not for anything else.

Would you google every single bridge you had to cross if you were to tour Scotland just in case there was something you needed to do?
If I was lucky enough to live in Scotland I would not come as far south as the dartford crossing take it from me it’s nicer up there.

Jan 28, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B MC T580
Exp
Since 2008
The hint is on the sign...….. the charges only apply between 06:00 hrs to 22:00 hrs the rest of the time its free !

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Certainly not! My GPS and map planning would highlight it. After all the hoo-haa on here and in the media I'm surprised that the Crossing being chargeable isn't known to almost everyone. It reached the beach bum OP from Devon ;) who only asked how to pay, hence my original reply (which was intended to be taken as helping rather than provoking confrontation).

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
This is going to surprise you, so hold onto your hat ..............

People were still able to book up or buy all sorts of things way back when the internet was still no more than a glint in Tim Berners-Lee's eye. They used to do it by telephone (attached by a cable to a wall) or even using a letter with a cheque in it.

Equally people used to find there way to places using something called a map. I know this is hard for you, so I will explain. That is like Google on your screen, but shown on on paper. In the 1980s I used to use one to drag a caravan all the way down to the south of France and find a campsite I had booked by letter. That is after catching the ferry that I booked over the phone.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!