Dartford crossing (3 Viewers)

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008

I hope you don't think I am misleading you about my Friends.

They have no computer or ever had one and if you put one in front of them would have no idea what to do with it. They are not married and one has not got any phone at all including not a Land Line at his property. The other has a Landline and has only recently got a Mobile to make calls and it has no internet facility on it. They booked their crossings etc via the Camping and Caravan Club by telephone getting their inforrmation about what was on offer from the Club magazine. All their journeys have been done with the aid of a map, no Sat Nav. When they have been with us they would follow as they didn't have to worry about where to go. Google means nothing to them and the maps don't give you any info re Tolls.

How would they know to avoid the Itchen Bridge Toll in Southampton where over 2.39m can be £25? The Sign is at the exit of the roundabout before the Toll Booth and shows a Lorry against the tariff.

Don't assume everyone has the information available to them as you have and neither should those who put the signs up for the likes of the Dartford Tunnel assume everyone has or understands Internet access.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've used it twice (once each way) in over 20 years and had it not been for this forum would not have had a clue as to how to pay.
I've also used it twice (once each way) and didn't give a thought to having to cross a major river never mind it being a toll crossing......
But i knew what a toll booth was for when I got to it.
Came as a surprise but not a problem.
I just told my sat nav to take me to Dover favouring motorways. Yes, satnavs did that back then.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
That's what happened to me in the end , except the helpful bloke I got an unhelpful woman.

But letter was just a reminder warning and paid 2.50 and it sorted

Oh dear !

This is intentionally patronising, but still meant tongue in cheek and typed with a smile :)

edit - in my rush to be witty I forgot to include your post wishing NR good luck with his appeal, posted long after he had posted the outcome o_O none of us are perfect :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We registered our cars and the van so it was all done automatically.

The only problem was we sold our van in July, but forgot to de-register it until December:doh:

The people who bought it could have enjoyed free crossings for 6 months or so. They didn’t use the crossing in that period though thankfully.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Well I am glad I started this thread now, it has certainly opened a few eyes and will also save a lot of peaple a fine or two maybe. (y)

As for me, I am going to go round the M25 the other way now. :LOL:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
The other way round the M25?
We did that, once when we had to go south to collect something-never again, the M25 south is rough as guts, it has a very poor surface and will ‘rattle your teeth out’!
After we had done it we developed a new ‘rattle/vibration’ in the van & discovered the fridge & surround had become unattached! Anymore of that road & I think the whole assembly would have been relocated on the other side of the van!

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
As for me, I am going to go round the M25 the other way now. :LOL:

Hi @Mikey RV

As I have to use the M25 fairly often, including this coming weekend, the one think I hate about going Clockwise from the Dartford Tunnel around to the M4 are the miles and miles of Concrete sections with the regular joints. When in our van with Vanco tyres the noise and vibration is significant and if you or your passengers have a migraine before you start then I pity them.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
....miles and miles of Concrete sections with the regular joints. When in our van with Vanco tyres the noise and vibration is significant and if you or your passengers have a migraine before you start then I pity them.
I like to drive with my window open a couple of inches and the noise of the traffic and thump, thump, thump of the concrete sections is dreadful. Little wonder there are noise absorption fences installed for the sanity of the local residents.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I have registered the van as a result of this thread, but have now realised I will have to remember to de register it if I sell it! Humph!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have registered the van as a result of this thread, but have now realised I will have to remember to de register it if I sell it! Humph!

That’s true and the new owner can’t register it themselves whilst it’s registered in your name.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back