Cyrils Bear Lock (2 Viewers)

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
So Cyril my Burstner van was in the garage to have his bear lock fitted. Gets a call late afternoon that the van was ready. The garage is about a 10 minute drive and fortunately my friend who was visiting me at the time drove me over and dropped me off.
Cyril was waiting outside, so after paying, the guy shows me how the lock works and offers to help me back out onto the road. I suddenly noticed whilst reversing that the rear view camera was not working. The mechanic was called and the van was driven back inside the garage.
Two mechanics and half an hour later they decided it was the Pioneer head unit and were going to call Pioneer this morning. By this time it was dark, after 6pm and my friend had driven off home. A long scary walk down unlit country roads was waiting for me, but luckily the garage reception guy offered to drive me home.
i don’t understand why the head unit would start misbehaving when it was working fine before. Anyone had a similar experience with these Pioneer head units or issues after a Bear Lock has been fitted.
So let’s see what happens today. Will Cyril come home.??

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
OP
OP
BonnieCat

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
It’s a lock which locks the transmission on the van (mines a Ducato with manual gearbox, but they also do them for autos). When parking up, you put the van into reverse gear and turn a special key to lock then remove the key. it’s impossible to quickly drive away because you can’t move the gear stick. They’re supposed to be pretty damn secure.

That future partners site is correct. Also look on Youtube, there’s a couple of videos there. It’s quite popular here in the Netherlands and helps to reduce insurance premiums.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BonnieCat

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
What is a bear lock?

If they disconnected the battery, the Pioneer will have to have the camera selected from the set up menu as default is OFF (made with cars in mind)
Could be. Hope they sort it. I’m missing Cyril already :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It’s a lock which locks the transmission on the van (mines a Ducato with manual gearbox, but they also do them for autos). When parking up, you put the van into reverse gear and turn a special key to lock then remove the key. it’s impossible to quickly drive away because you can’t move the gear stick. They’re supposed to be pretty damn secure.

That future partners site is correct. Also look on Youtube, there’s a couple of videos there. It’s quite popular here in the Netherlands and helps to reduce insurance premiums.
Thanks. I hope that it works (y) , but I am pretty sure that the gear stick housing is plastic on a Ducato? I'll have to check

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Thanks. I hope that it works (y) , but I am pretty sure that the gear stick housing is plastic on a Ducato? I'll have to check
The bear lock is a metal cast frame that is fitted to the vehicle body/frame (I think it mounts on the tubular crossbar behind the dashboard on a Ducato) and surrounds the gear lever assembly. I've never seen one in the flesh but they're TUV tested and appear fairly substantial.

That's not to say they're infallible, but I suspect a lot of damage would have to be caused, notwithstanding tonyidle 's solution ;)

They do however also fit bonnet locks.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
couple of things, why couldnt you drive home without a reversing camera? what happens with the lock if you want to make a quick getaway because of trouble?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
couple of things, why couldnt you drive home without a reversing camera? what happens with the lock if you want to make a quick getaway because of trouble?
I suspect as it was working before the installation and the OP noticed that it was no longer working before she left the premises, so she left it with them to get it fixed.

Why would you set the lock if you were inside the van, particularly with the possibility you envisage in mind? Would you fit a disklok to your steering wheel in similar circumstances, or just use it when you left the van unattended?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It’s a lock which locks the transmission on the van (mines a Ducato with manual gearbox, but they also do them for autos).

So what happens if someone gets in, breaks normal lock as usual, puts foot on clutch and tows it away.

Just being theoretical, once a risk analisist always a risk analisist,
your chances of this happening are just about nil.

OP
OP
BonnieCat

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I suspect as it was working before the installation and the OP noticed that it was no longer working before she left the premises, so she left it with them to get it fixed.

Why would you set the lock if you were inside the van, particularly with the possibility you envisage in mind? Would you fit a disklok to your steering wheel in similar circumstances, or just use it when you left the van unattended?
Thank you. Yes exactly. It was working before so I wasn’t going to drive away, why would I. Also yes you wouldn’t set the lock if you were in it, it’s for when it’s left unattended. Stickers on the window will advise scrotes that the van is protected. (Providing they can read).
what happens if someone rolls up with a shotgun and steals all the keys then the van, what if an alien space ship whisked me and Cyril away etc etc etc.
Of course the lock is not 100% secure, nothing is, but it’s for my peace of mind and will deter thieves who hopefully will try to steal someone else‘s less secure van. You can’t cover every single angle but the Bear Lock along with an alarm will go some way to protecting my property.
A quick getaway is also possible, you just have to unlock the Bear Lock, start the engine and away you go.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
ok, but most breakins are to steal whats inside not the actual van

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Despite the soothsayers on here, I think that the OP is quite right to improve security.
Yes anyone who wants to break into a motorhome will manage that without too much difficulty & sometimes too much security means that the opportunist will simply damage more stuff to get in, but the person who wants to steal a motorhome would very quickly leave a van with a "Bear Claw" alone.

A decent very, very loud alarm such as those from eddievanbitz will scare the living bejeevers out of them.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Looks like a good bit of kit, however no prices shown as I guess it has to be installed by one of their "approved" installers. This I guess is where most of the cost will be ,as I imagine that must involve at least 2/3 hours labour.
An indication of overall costs would be an asset in considering whether to purchase or not, however I cannot find this from the website unless I post an e-mail enquiry, and be vehicle specific.
A picture of the finished install would be useful also, as our vans have the gearstick high up on the dashboard and not on the floor as the videos show, where do they fit the lock barrel?
Any additional theft deterrent can only be a good thing, but knowing the costs involved is essential as it helps make the decision to buy or not.
SOOOO...on that basis..... how much? anyone know?:giggle:
LES

OP
OP
BonnieCat

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I can tell you exactly how much, and yes it’s about 3 hours to fit. I’ll post up some photos of the position of the key slot when I get Cyril home which won’t be today. My gear stick is high up too and not on the floor. Mines a Ducato.

These prices are in Euros as I’m in the Netherlands

Lock - 395
Labour - 180
VAT @ 21% - 120

Total just shy of 700 Euros

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I'm not sure it has ever been available in the UK. It wasn't when I first became aware of it several years ago.

Their website states that it has to be ordered via one of their installation partners who will fit it. There are none in the UK; they will discuss orders from professional workshops or car dealerships on request, but won't sell direct to the public.

This seems to be a requirement of the TUV certification, similar to Thatcham approval certification in the UK.

I'm sure fitting could be arranged to be included in a holiday in Germany, The Netherlands, Switzerland or Austria :smiley: Although I'm not certain they make versions for RHD vehicles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BonnieCat

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I'm not sure it has ever been available in the UK. It wasn't when I first became aware of it several years ago.

Their website states that it has to be ordered via one of their installation partners who will fit it. There are none in the UK; they will discuss orders from professional workshops or car dealerships on request, but won't sell direct to the public.

This seems to be a requirement of the TUV certification, similar to Thatcham approval certification in the UK.

I'm sure fitting could be arranged to be included in a holiday in Germany, The Netherlands, Switzerland or Austria :smiley:
I think you may be correct. There used to be a UK website for bear-lock but this is not working anymore.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thanks for posting BonnieCat , looks like a nice neat install, shame its not available in the UK, I am sure many would be interested.
Hope they fix your rear view camera problem soon, it must be something simple as Eddie has suggested.
LES

OP
OP
BonnieCat

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
So Cyril is home. The garage have washed their hands of it but said if another garage investigates and found they were at fault they would pay the bill. That’s not much consolation. I’ve got a Bear Lock but no camera and now I’ve got to mess around trying to find another garage who can fix this.
Everything else on the Pioneer system appears to be working. With the van in reverse gear, and the reverse lights on, the screen does nothing. Hope the head unit does not need replacing as they are over 1000 Euros. I’ll have to try to manage without the camera for now, like truck drivers.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
have you checked they haven't disconnected the plug from the head unit or see post three check its set up correctly

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
My storage site neighbour has a very simple, cheap but I suspect effective anti theft device, but doesn't protect contents.

Purchase a top quality U Bar bike lock;

41OFoQmPpLL._SX425_.jpg

Turn your driver's side captain's chair to face the rear.

Find a position where the solid plates of the seat and seat base overlap.

Drill a hole big enough for the U Bar to be passed through.

Engage the locking bar.

No drive that away suckers! :)

Another that an engineer buddy swore by.

Cut the gear stick off about an inch from the base.

Using a tap and die set, thread the stub of the gearstick.

Weld a piece of tube onto the detached gear stick handle and tap it to match the thread on the stub.

After parking, unscrew the gear stick handle and either;

Secreet it somewhere in the car.

Or slip it down a trouser leg. Also useful for a Saturday night out in Streatham. :)

OP
OP
BonnieCat

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
The camera view setting seems to set itself to off when the ignition has been turned off, putting it back on, and with the van in reverse the screen message says ”caution the image may appear reversed”. But then there is no image.
Wonder why the camera view setting goes to off?

the unit is AVIC-EVO1-DT2-C

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have a pioneer unit not the same model but similar, sounds as if the reversing camera wires or the connector to the back of the head unit is disconnected some how.

you need to pull the head unit out and check the wiring. i suspect that when the took the dash etc apart that they disturbed a wire,

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
A current manual can be viewed or downloaded from here:

Camera settings are on page 53. The camera may have defaulted to "Off" if the battery has been disconnected during the installation.

It is enabled from the "System" settings screen. Touch "Camera settings" then "Back Camera Input" and check that it's set to "On".

Page 55 also refers to a connection leads status menu:

Again from the "System" settings screen, touch "System Information" and then "Connection Status". The status of "Back Signal" in the screen display should change as you move the gear lever in or out of reverse gear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back