Last edited:
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Pick up telephone, call local Indian Takeaway /delivery service, place order, wait by door for delivery to arrive,
Plate up and present to wife at table.
Works for me !! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The best Curry I have tasted was made by our very own Sian (sorry can't do the accent thingy). Best ask Jim if he can persuade Sian to share it :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Recently i took the major decision to cook me and the lady a curry every Friday night. She did it originally but I thought I would have a go as cooking interests me.

I have bought books, tried watching telly, even been on curry forums but as yet nothing i have tried comes near the style that you get from a restaurant.

So does anyone on here have an half decent recipe for a ruby. Not too chilli hot.

Thanks
Phill
I make my own - but if you want a sauce that tastes exactly like a restaurant curry (because it’s made by a curry restaurant owner) buy these:

(y)

Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
I bought this at Christmas, I followed his instructions, and have made several of the currys ( all chicken recipes) and quite a few sides.All of them have come out fabulously. If you have the time ,its well worth the effort 👍👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220604-184100_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220604-184100_Chrome.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 14

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
An Indian lady cook told me that you must always rest a curry ie make it the day before consuming so that any meat is marinaded well and truly
This is true if you make a batch the 2nd day tastes better

Jan 9, 2022
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G732
Exp
Total Newbie
Rick Stein Lamb and Spinach curry, recipe from BBC food I think, my absolute favourite, can be chuffing hot or mild and use any meat/veg combo you fancy.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
If a curry is to ( spicey) hot add a sprinkle of sugar or yoghurt

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
This talk of curry put me in the mood for one of managements chicken curries.
It is not to any fixed plan more on odds and ends from the fridge like chopped tomatoes, natural yogurt and few spices . The end result is a slightly creamy and enough curry flavour to be palatable.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Not met a bloke yet that doesn't make or know the best curry on the world.
Me - love every one I've had, although some may have been under the affluence of incerhol 😂

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Could be controversial here………..in their day, I didn’t mind a Vesta Curry. :eek: :giggle:

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
I bought this at Christmas, I followed his instructions, and have made several of the currys ( all chicken recipes) and quite a few sides.All of them have come out fabulously. If you have the time ,its well worth the effort 👍👍
Dans books and recipes are very good. As a 50th Present I went on one of his cooking classes he runs at his house and the results were phenomenal using fresher ingredients, marinating properly and would say the best Indian meal at the end.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Vesta dinners bring back memories. When I was on leave I thought I would treat management to a meal cooked by me. My trip to the COOP produce a Vesta Curry and it looked easy to cook.
It cant have put her off me because we have been together for forty plus years. My cooking has advanced beyond Vesta meals. The kids used to ask for my one pan dinners especially when we were camping.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Here's a couple to try. Some from India and a couple from Indonesia, Burma and Philippines

Attachments

• Balinese Garlic Prawns.docx
    17.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Chicken Adobo.docx
    16.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Burmese Chicken Curry.docx
    17.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Chicken Moghul Style.docx
    17.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Coconut Pilau Rice V.docx
    17.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Lamb Roghan Josh.docx
    17.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Pork Vindaloo.docx
    17.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Indonesian Rendang.docx
    18.2 KB · Views: 12
Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Go on YouTube. Loads on there you can follow. I can recommend two..Al’s kitchen & Misty Ricardo. Misty has a few books out, his latest is called curry compendium. We have made British Indian Restaurant Style (B I R) curries from these two respectively, and, the quality is amazing, as good as a good restaurant easily. 👍

We did a Misty Ricardo Jalfrezi last week and it was out of this world I have to say.😎😋

Edit. oops, old post alert. Still, the two above are still worth ago.

Last edited:
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
When I lived in Scotland we frequented an Indo-Pak restaurant called The Gulistan in Auchinairn just east of Glasgow almost every week for over 15 years. Unlike many restaurants, the food was consistently very good, the taste never varied, we received birthday and Christmas cards each year, and Friday nights was the highlight of our week. It was a family run affair and rumour has it that no one outside the family knew the recipes. Happy days(y)
In the 80's and 90's there were many fabulous Indian restaurants around Glasgow, the standard was extremely high. On our travels around Scotland we always tried to get recommendations but they never quite got to the Glasgow standard.
It's 19 years since I moved from Scotland and I have heard that the owner of my favourite restaurant had passed away so I don't know what the situation is now.
On moving to Mid-Wales I quickly searched out the local Indian restaurant. I couldn't wait to try it. On our first visit I asked for pakora to take away. I was shocked by the reply, 'What is Pakora?' Say no more, enough said! We've had the odd half decent curry, but on our next visit, the same curry tasted different! :doh:
We have tried Birmingham 3 times but were disappointed, locals probably love it, but then they've not been to Glasgow;):giggler:

Strangely enough our go to curry which is consistent comes from...... wait for it ....... ASDA. Their lamb bhuna is pretty good. (y)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Remember years ago going into a curry house in Beverly Hills that was a favourite with a lot of stars, said to the chap I’ll have a Balti please😁
He did not have a scooby what I was in about, that’s when j learnt a lot of dishes are just made up by the English 😁
And never got to see anyone famous then got outside and car had a ticket for parking the wrong way around😭😭

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Not met a bloke yet that doesn't make or know the best curry on the world.
Errrr, me.
My cooking skills extend to toast, eggs, sausages and things in tins and packets (with instructions)

I have been know to extend my repertoire to Spag Bog and Corned beef hash, however the results are so variable, sometimes its edible other times its not.

I genuinely would not know where to even start to make something like a curry.
I also would be aware that after several hours slaving over a hot stove (assuming I knew what I was doing) that any of the multiple local Curry Houses could deliver a much better result to the front door inside 20 mins.

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
Check out misty ricardo. I bought his compendium book and everyone says my curries are better than Indian takeaways. It's all about the base gravy. Search for his videos on YouTube

Jun 29, 2022
Bishop Auckland, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise
Exp
We've been trying to replicate the restaurant taste for years, slowly getting closer to something authentic. The Curry Guy books are good but one of the best places for really good recipe's and tips is Latif's Inspired on YouTube. Use the techniques and recipes on there and you won't be disappointed.
There's a brilliant channel for Chinese takeaway stuff as well - Ziangs, absolutely lovely and easy too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back