Could this be the most Illegal van going? (21 Viewers)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Apart from the travelling side of things, how do you sleep 7 in what looks like a 2 berth? Can't be more than 6.5m
The Chinese do it all the time from what I saw in New Zealand In their hire vehicles…. Scary

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Remember going to lockerne with for kids me the wife dog in a Austin Allegro boat on a trailor full of camping gear home made roof wrack packed three foot high
Brilliant holiday we had.
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
My van is a 1990 7.5 m it was once dicribed as a bit of a cave on wheals by sume stuck up motor homers.
We have called it the cave ever since and we just call it a camper.
Motorhome is a bit poshe for us
Bill
We just call ours the van (y)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
1970’s I travelled all the way to Skye in the back of a small van on a pile of camping kit with two big dogs!
I lived to tell the tale!

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
In three minds about this. My first thought is that it adds to any generic criticism of motorhomers, by non-motorhomers. We weigh everything that goes in, except the podgy driver.

My second is to worry that if they are ignorant, or disregarding, of one of the most basic motorhome laws, what other short cuts or dangers are they ignorant about? Not having kids in seatbelts is pretty irresponsible.

My third is all about my own possible hypocrisy, albeit a long time ago. My mum and dad took my two brothers, sister and I up to Gairloch several times. He towed a steel chassis Monza, which carried a 12 foot rhib, 5 hp engine, canvas awning, kit for six, easily weighing more than 1500kg. The car was a Peugeot 504 estate (kerb weight about 1500 kg).
1652682862702.png

Not sure what the law was back in the seventies - or even if there was a law - but we made it there, and made it home. Did the same the following year. Terrific fun, although not sure why we went to Scotland when we could have gone to France.

I think that I usually refer to our moho as the bus.

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Only if belts are provided and not used?

If the van is sufficiently old not to have them fitted iirc they are legally ok.

Morally that's another story!
I hadn't noticed yesterday but it appears to be a hire vehicle and only 2 or 3 years old. Not judging them but I hope they don't have an accident.

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Should have titled the thread - How many people can you get in a motorhome?

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
The Chinese do it all the time from what I saw in New Zealand In their hire vehicles…. Scary
We were there at Chinese New Year some time ago, couldn't believe how many people were in some of the motorhomes on the sites we stayed on!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We were there at Chinese New Year some time ago, couldn't believe how many people were in some of the motorhomes on the sites we stayed on!
Yes - apparently a family of 4 rent a 4 berth MH and then pick up the rest of the extended family waiting around the corner. They do the same with B&B's - a couple of them we stayed in turned away bookings for 2 which turned out to be 6.

The scary thing is the way that they drive the MH's - having spent the last 10 years driving the LingLong 800 cc city car, the pile into a large Motorhome and have no idea of the size and weight

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
To be fair to the op I don't think he was judging or anything , just commenting on how was it possible.
Personally I don't see a problem with judging. The police do it, the courts do it. That's why we have laws.

However, personally I wouldn't say anything to those concerned as you are more than likely to get a mouthful or worse.

Those who say ignore, get on with your life, etc etc, I wonder what they would think if they heard on the news the next day of a family all killed in an accident on the M1.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
In three minds about this. My first thought is that it adds to any generic criticism of motorhomers, by non-motorhomers. We weigh everything that goes in, except the podgy driver.

My second is to worry that if they are ignorant, or disregarding, of one of the most basic motorhome laws, what other short cuts or dangers are they ignorant about? Not having kids in seatbelts is pretty irresponsible.

My third is all about my own possible hypocrisy, albeit a long time ago. My mum and dad took my two brothers, sister and I up to Gairloch several times. He towed a steel chassis Monza, which carried a 12 foot rhib, 5 hp engine, canvas awning, kit for six, easily weighing more than 1500kg. The car was a Peugeot 504 estate (kerb weight about 1500 kg).
View attachment 618590
Not sure what the law was back in the seventies - or even if there was a law - but we made it there, and made it home. Did the same the following year. Terrific fun, although not sure why we went to Scotland when we could have gone to France.

I think that I usually refer to our moho as the bus.
Yes that was after the viva and Victor, followed by a 505 and the space cruiser...🤣🤣🤣

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I hadn't noticed yesterday but it appears to be a hire vehicle and only 2 or 3 years old. Not judging them but I hope they don't have an accident.
That's illegal then?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I too hope they do not have an accident BUT if that's all they can afford, let them enjoy their holiday!

We Oldies, before seat belt legislation, travelled in backs of car/vans, sometimes without seats, in much less safe vehicle than we have today.

IF the person driving, is driving sensibly and not being stupid, let them enjoy their holiday and you enjoy yours. :unsure:

PS. There was a time when we rode fast motorbikes, without helmets, and stopped to smoke cigarettes. How dangerous is that! :LOL:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Those who say ignore, get on with your life, etc etc, I wonder what they would think if they heard on the news the next day of a family all killed in an accident on the M1.
On that basis one could say that it's irresponsible to take any child in any vehicle on todays roads. More especially in a motorhome and most definitely an A class. How about a motorcycle pillion or sidecar passenger? Or a pushbike with child seat?

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Went to a crash in around 1992 where a transit MoHo had turned over. The child who had been in the overcab bed didn't survive. It's all a bit of a giggle until suddenly it isn't.

Reactions: HKF
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
On that basis one could say that it's irresponsible to take any child in any vehicle on todays roads. More especially in a motorhome and most definitely an A class. How about a motorcycle pillion or sidecar passenger? Or a pushbike with child seat?

Where I live, children are equally at risk when there mothers are pushing them along in their push-chairs, across busy roads & junctions etc. The mothers nose is stuck behind the screen of their mobile and not looking.
Twice, lately, I have had to shout to avoid being run into while out walking! :mad:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Been there - done that.

Fortunately in the past🙂
Took 14 kids to Wickstead Park back in rhe 70s in a Cortina estate...Makes you drive more carefully..BUSBY,,

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
As a 10 year old I would go out with my Dad in his van doing deliveries.

I was sat in the front on an upturned milk crate, with a folded blanket on top as their was no passenger seat.
Foot on wheel arch to keep me steady.

When it was really hot, both Dad and I would have both front sliding doors open as we drove along.
Health and safety eh!!

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Took 14 kids to Wickstead Park back in rhe 70s in a Cortina estate...Makes you drive more carefully..BUSBY,,
That's nothing I took 20 kids in a mini to Thorpe park!!🤣🤣🤣

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Just assuming that they are well aware of the legality and the risks of transporting their children without proper safety measures, I would be curious to know what other risks they take - like maintaining the roadworthiness of the van etc. In the end, if they injure themselves or their children I guess it's their choice. Cause an accident in which someone else gets hurt and it's another thing altogether . . .

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
If I still had my trike I could legally ride with my passenger on any road/motorway both without a helmet, on a solo motorcycle rider and pillion have to wear helmets, on a motorcycle and sidecar combination I needed rider and pillion to wear a helmet but anyone in the sidecar didn’t need a helmet. Just because we have a law doesn’t mean it makes any sense.

If it was an historic vehicle in question then most stuff wouldn’t apply, wouldn’t even need an MOT and could be full of kids. Yes there is a catch all in construction and use about unsecured loads that allows for prosecution, I know.

I have been in and done most of the things that have appeared in the posts in this thread and most of me is still here to tell the tale. My van only has seatbelts on the driver and passenger seats, all other seats are side facing so would be more dangerous to have belts on them than not. Also if my van was in a medium/hard accident I doubt there would be much of it left anyway, but like a passenger in a sidecar methinks.

Regarding the motorhome in question, a later post mentions it a hire van of 2 to 3 years old, Is it by chance a Rollerteam? I know they do at least one with lots of bunks so there may not be any problem anyway.

Everyone should be aware of what risks they are taking and act accordingly, I am not suggesting anything would be right or wrong but if all occupants were seated (belted if available) then personally it wouldn’t bother me too much.

As always though, each to their own 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back